URPAD deleted my VPS

Hello,
    thanks in advance for reading my post, as I'm new to the forum.

About one year ago, I took a VPS with Urpad. Everything worked as expected, for the budget VPS I think, but prior to migration problems started.

First of all, they stopped sending emails for new invoices, and they suspended my services at least two times, without any notification, any mail, nothing. Fortunately, it was suspended temporary.

Until recently, they completely removed my server installation because of a typo from billing services. Unbelievable, but true.

I've just been through an email exchange with urpad to solve some of the quoted issues, when it resulted with this complete destruction.

They asked me if I have a backup, but at the time I took a unmanaged vps, I didn't find any reliable solution for backing up the whole server. So I don't have recent backup of the whole layer(LAMP) beyond the site it was hosting.

The only thing they offer was two months of free hosting. But it is ridicules in regard of the damage they caused to me, just with a typo in billing dates!!!

What can I do? Any advice?

It's your fault to not do any backup. Disaster still will happen even they not accidentally delete your vps anyway.

Sorry to hear about your issues, I had a bad experience with URpad as well....

You did buy an unmanaged service, and most unmanaged services don't include backup. You're responsible for your backups, and in this case, you were. You may not have a snapshot of your VPS but you at least have the site files (or do you?) and the database hopefully.

A LAMP installation shouldn't take too long to be set up and running with, so what you really need to do is then restore your site backup.

I'd advice trying a different provider; the offers section has a lot of offers you might be interested in. Pick one, do a LAMP install, restore your backup. If they don't have a backup of your VPS and it's destroyed, there's not much you or they can do about it. You won't be getting it back.
    *StrongNode.net - Affordable Managed VPS Servers*
    *LOTS OF RAM IS WHAT WE DO*

Hi, thanks for replies.
    I'm aware of the fact that backing up is my responsibility. Of course, I have a backup of my site and it's database.
    But, as lifetalk stated, it's unmanaged service, so no backup is possible for the whole server.
    Reinstalling LAMP stuff is going to be time consuming nevertheless. There's a lot of additional settings to rewrite (bind server), php accelerators (apc, memcache, etc...) to reinstall. If you have other jobs to do at the same time, you see the picture.

There's one thing that remains unclear. What the company responsibility in this case? When they destroy your installation by doing some wrong manipulations, we should just accept it as a fact and repair what they damaged?

I mean, there must be something they should offer as a compensation.

Well, to be perfectly fair, they did offer you compensation in the form of free hosting. What other compensation would you consider fair?
    *StrongNode.net - Affordable Managed VPS Servers*
    *LOTS OF RAM IS WHAT WE DO*

URPAD deleted my VPS

You've got to keep in mind they have a responsibility to adhere to the terms of services and other contracts agreed upon at admission of services. Everything beyond that is a kind gesture. They don't need to compensate you unless their terms say they do.
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting cPanel+Softaculous Email Hosting Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

2 months of free hosting would may be just enough to reinstall all the underlying applications. In case anything goes wrong.

And it means that I'll continue with the same company. What if I don't want to? After such a disaster, going elsewhere seems natural.

And we don't even mention the damage caused by the fact that my site was down for almost one month, and it will remain until the server is recreated.

Fortunately, the site is still a kind of personal stuff, with not lot of users and visits per day. But, imagine it was a successful forum.

How are they suppose to compensate? Well probably refunding. Not only the hosting, but also the minimum prejudice for the site not being online.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    You've got to keep in mind they have a responsibility to adhere to the terms of services and other contracts agreed upon at admission of services. Everything beyond that is a kind gesture. They don't need to compensate you unless their terms say they do.
    Come on. This is so well known. They wrote terms of service to protect them self in such a cases.

So now I should treat them as kind if they offer a ridiculous compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dionizos1389 View Post
    Come on. This is so well known. They wrote terms of service to protect them self in such a cases
    That's exactly what it is for. What does their ToS say? I've never bought services without fully reading and understanding the ToS and other policies.
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting cPanel+Softaculous Email Hosting Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

For now, I have no idea, I didn't expect the problems to come so quickly, and in a such critical way. I'll look at it.

Sorry to hear about your issues..

Sorry to hear that, but they been fair to you. as disaster always can happens. you always should have back up from your important data.
    What OS do you use? you might can install daily backup within your CP
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

Using these cheap providers with questionable reputation, it's always best to create and maintain your own backups. Even if you order a second VPS in a different location with them, you can easily backup your data to that if cost needs to remain low.

Unfortunately most people learn the importance of backups after it's too late. The good news is now you'll likely backup your VPS with them or any other provider you use.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    Using these cheap providers with questionable reputation, it's always best to create and maintain your own backups. Even if you order a second VPS in a different location with them, you can easily backup your data to that if cost needs to remain low.

Unfortunately most people learn the importance of backups after it's too late. The good news is now you'll likely backup your VPS with them or any other provider you use.
    You worked for them was the reputation questionable back then?

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Yes, I did work for them in the past. Though I'd have instructed people to create their own backups then too. Reputation aside, it's best to backup any server that hosts content that is important to you. The OP could have a server with Linode, for example. I'd still advise backing it up.
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Hi, thanks for replies.
    I'm aware of the fact that backing up is my responsibility.
    Then you really have no excuse.

Reinstalling LAMP stuff is going to be time consuming nevertheless. There's a lot of additional settings to rewrite (bind server), php accelerators (apc, memcache, etc...) to reinstall.
    And for that reason it was more important to have backups.

If you have other jobs to do at the same time, you see the picture.
    You seem to be an intelligent guy, I am sure you would therefore know that it's no more difficult to backup up important configuration files than the website files that you were already doing.

In under 10 minutes you can have Rsync securely backing up your entire box or the important parts. Assuming of course you have a place to move them to.

I have personal boxes with URPad, Minivps, BuyVM, Iniz, Ramnode and others. None of which I have any issues with in terms of trust or reliability but they are all unmanaged and I don't trust any of their hardware to never fail or a mistake to be made and my data is lost, so I Rsync from all to a central point. Job done.

It's easy for others and myself to tell you this and whilst I can understand you are upset about it these things can and will happen, only you can ultimately take steps to mitigate the risk of it happening. In this case you knew you were not backing up all the important files and would have known the risk of not doing so.

2 months free seems like a fair apology to me. So take it and this time do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MannDude View Post
    Yes, I did work for them in the past.

You didn't answer the question. I would like to know how things were from the company side. They were good.

I used their services a while ago and had no issues with them for about a year and a half. Then slowly things started to slow down. Don't know about now, but they were the few that were good if you needed a vps for something.

Hi, thanks for replies.
    I'm aware of the fact that backing up is my responsibility. Of course, I have a backup of my site and it's database.
    But, as lifetalk stated, it's unmanaged service, so no backup is possible for the whole server.
    Reinstalling LAMP stuff is going to be time consuming nevertheless. There's a lot of additional settings to rewrite (bind server), php accelerators (apc, memcache, etc...) to reinstall. If you have other jobs to do at the same time, you see the picture.

There's one thing that remains unclear. What the company responsibility in this case? When they destroy your installation by doing some wrong manipulations, we should just accept it as a fact and repair what they damaged?

I mean, there must be something they should offer as a compensation.
    Well, at least you are not losing your data.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lee~ View Post
    Then you really have no excuse.

And for that reason it was more important to have backups.

You seem to be an intelligent guy, I am sure you would therefore know that it's no more difficult to backup up important configuration files than the website files that you were already doing.

In under 10 minutes you can have Rsync securely backing up your entire box or the important parts. Assuming of course you have a place to move them to.

I have personal boxes with URPad, Minivps, BuyVM, Iniz, Ramnode and others. None of which I have any issues with in terms of trust or reliability but they are all unmanaged and I don't trust any of their hardware to never fail or a mistake to be made and my data is lost, so I Rsync from all to a central point. Job done.

It's easy for others and myself to tell you this and whilst I can understand you are upset about it these things can and will happen, only you can ultimately take steps to mitigate the risk of it happening. In this case you knew you were not backing up all the important files and would have known the risk of not doing so.

2 months free seems like a fair apology to me. So take it and this time do it right.
    It's not really that I didn't try to make a backup. I had a hard time to make Bacula work, and it seemed that rsync (even unison) vas easier to work with. So I make one or two backups. But not recently. Probably without some of the latest changes I made on to the server.

Should I try to restore the server with what I have, from a local disk? Expecting to have some nightmares with it. Some nasty bugs difficult to trace. I'm not an expert in server administration, far from it.

The question is, should I restore only on the local level? Some important settings files.

Restore mysql databases or recreate a new one and restore only my.cnf file?

And so on. I'm wondering if this is going to take much more effort and time then to recreate everything from scratch and get rid of some installations I didn't really use.

was the reputation questionable back then?
    Yes it was. It just got worse when the owner lost interest, and continued to decline when Root Level Tech bought it.

This "oops, sorry dude, I delete it" snafu doesn't happen at better VPS hosts, unmanaged or not. It's complete negligence or their part. Sloppy admin work is all it is. You should have your own backups, yes. And disasters can happen, yes. Like hardware failures. But this? No, this is negligence.

It would be one thing if this was a one-off from a good host. But it's not, and problems there are habitual.

I could go on, but will save that for another time. Busy now.
    Last edited by Steven F; 11-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Yes it was. It just got worse when the owner lost interest, and continued to decline when Root Level Tech bought it.

This "oops, sorry dude, I delete it" snafu doesn't happen at better VPS hosts, unmanaged or not. It's complete negligence or their part. Sloppy admin work is all it is. You should have your own backups, yes. And disasters can happen, yes. Like hardware failures. But this? No, this is negligence.

It would be one thing if this was a one-off from a good host. But it's not, and problems there are habitual.

I could go on, but will save that for another time. Busy now.
    What (or who) do you suggest as an alternative?
    Last edited by Steven F; 11-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.

What (or who) do you suggest as an alternative?
    Any reputable hosts.

In the same price range (budget VPS ~$10 512MB, OpenVZ) I'd suggest
    - Ninjahawk Hosting
    - Evolucix

If you insist or LEB hosts (sub-$7 prices), BuyVM is the only one I'd trust. Eventually, I'll probably try RamNode too, but not used them yet. Not needed it.

I prefer Xen, from premium VPS hosts. The cheap stuff is just for dev for me.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Did anyone try budget dedicated like kimsufi(ovh)?

Hello everyone, Just reading through and thought I'd start here.

@kpmedia After investigation we have come to find out that it is actually caused by a WHMCS issue that we have an active ticket for, not stupidity.

@Dionizos1389 We are more than happy to have our system admins assist you with setting up anything you need done for the inconvenience caused. There is no excuse any time that data is lost, even if its caused by some weird system error.

@MannDude Thank you for your comments, glad to hear your opinions. I'm not sure how you feel as if we are a "cheap" provider. It was maybe considered cheap when we first had purchased it. Now that we have invested hundreds of thousands into it, i'm not sure that qualifies anymore.

@ all others, Thank you for mentioning that backups are the users responsibility, even with that being the case, there is still NO excuse for what happened to @Dionizos1389. It does not matter if a customer is entrusting information with us on a $1 VPS or a $1000 server, we treat every incident with the utmost seriousness. While other providers may tell you that you must read their TOS, we are working to ensure you never need to. Downtime and Data-loss are unacceptable for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RBurns View Post

@kpmedia After investigation we have come to find out that it is actually caused by a WHMCS issue that we have an active ticket for, not stupidity.

@Dionizos1389 We are more than happy to have our system admins assist you with setting up anything you need done for the inconvenience caused. There is no excuse any time that data is lost, even if its caused by some weird system error.

@MannDude Thank you for your comments, glad to hear your opinions. I'm not sure how you feel as if we are a "cheap" provider. It was maybe considered cheap when we first had purchased it. Now that we have invested hundreds of thousands into it, i'm not sure that qualifies anymore.

@ all others, Thank you for mentioning that backups are the users responsibility, even with that being the case, there is still NO excuse for what happened to @Dionizos1389. It does not matter if a customer is entrusting information with us on a $1 VPS or a $1000 server, we treat every incident with the utmost seriousness. While other providers may tell you that you must read their TOS, we are working to ensure you never need to. Downtime and Data-loss are unacceptable for us.

Much more professional than the previous owner. Even when things were good, a small issue that could have been resolved within an hour would escalate due to arguing instead of resolving

Downtime and Data-loss are unacceptable for us.
    MMM, well that is interesting - but a bit OT to this post, but let me explain.

I have had a URPad VPS that was recently migrated to a new node. I am sure that it would be easy to identify my account.

Lets just look at how stable this VPS has (not) been especially in the last week or so after Migration to the new node. co-incidentally, I just checked and the old node is also still up and accessable.

Code:

[email protected] [~]# last |grep boot
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Mon Nov 11 07:41 - 01:57 (1+18:15)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Mon Nov 11 05:32 - 01:57 (1+20:24)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Mon Nov 11 02:38 - 01:57 (1+23:18)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Sun Nov 10 22:08 - 01:57 (2+03:48)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Wed Oct 23 16:34 - 01:57 (20+10:22)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-348.16.1. Mon Oct  7 21:36 - 01:57 (36+05:21)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Tue May 14 07:23 - 21:21 (146+13:57)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Tue Apr 30 01:19 - 21:21 (160+20:02)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Tue Apr 30 00:42 - 21:21 (160+20:38)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Fri Apr 26 22:22 - 21:21 (163+22:58)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Wed Apr 17 00:10 - 21:21 (173+21:10)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Fri Nov  2 04:42 - 21:21 (339+15:39)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Sat Aug  4 11:55 - 04:31 (89+17:36)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.el5.0 Fri May 25 12:23 - 11:56 (70+23:32)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.el5.0 Mon May 14 08:44 - 11:53 (11+03:09)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sat May 12 04:18 - 11:53 (13+07:35)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sun Apr 29 19:15 - 00:48 (12+05:33)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sun Apr 29 11:27 - 00:48 (12+13:21)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sun Apr 29 11:26 - 11:27  (00:00)
    [email protected] [~]#
    I can back this up with my Yearly Cacti graph as well which shows exactly the same picture.

Yes, since 29th April (2012) when the service was provisioned , it has been rebooted several times, and been on 3 different nodes. I can accept that Yes there is a requirement for a node to be rebooted 2-4 times a year to update Kernel, but beyond that...

The current node it is on (Houston4) on the 10th and 11th was not great - and that was within a few days of my doing the DNS changes and cutting over from the old "Golf" (I think) node.

On the 11th, I had to log in and re-start the VPS when my monitoring showed it as being down. Then again, I highly suspect that there were disk Issues/Abuse on the node around that time as I was logged in and the Load on my VPS was showing as 165 when it was sitting idle and IOwait was up around the 25 mark for a good few hours.

I know I have not opened a ticket to complain, well, because at the few $ a month I pay, it is not that critical if it is down for a few minutes here and there. I am simply bringing this up here as you indicated that it is unacceptable. Care to comment on the last 4 outages?

BTW, yes there are a few "teething problems" with this new node - PM me if you want further info!

Seriously, I am not complaining - as based on what I get for the price, the service of URPad is more than acceptable to me, otherwise I would have found an alternative. I actually think that the service has been better overall since they were taken over as well.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Hello,

There have been several different reasons we have had to reboot nodes. With a migration the size that ours was and due to the location changes, there were more than enough people who were not happy with the changes. Anything from tons of accounts being migrated at the same time or started up to attacks, there have been plenty of events that have required reboot.

As we monitor all of our servers with instant notification we investigate each issue as it occurs and we take steps to stop that issue from happening again. As we get further past the migration most accounts that have issues are slowly being located and removed. We are also balancing the servers out and spreading the load over the multiple servers and locations.

I would be happy to discuss any problems anyone has had so that we can improve our product. My skype is located at top, I welcome all past, present, and possible customers to add me and we can have a conversation about our services, your feedback, or even things like the weather.

Not sure if the skype up top is the correct username, so here it is:

RandalBurnsRLT

Add me, I look forward to speaking with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    MMM, well that is interesting - but a bit OT to this post, but let me explain.

I have had a URPad VPS that was recently migrated to a new node. I am sure that it would be easy to identify my account.

Lets just look at how stable this VPS has (not) been especially in the last week or so after Migration to the new node. co-incidentally, I just checked and the old node is also still up and accessable.

Code:

[email protected] [~]# last |grep boot
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Mon Nov 11 07:41 - 01:57 (1+18:15)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Mon Nov 11 05:32 - 01:57 (1+20:24)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Mon Nov 11 02:38 - 01:57 (1+23:18)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Sun Nov 10 22:08 - 01:57 (2+03:48)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.32-042stab08 Wed Oct 23 16:34 - 01:57 (20+10:22)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-348.16.1. Mon Oct  7 21:36 - 01:57 (36+05:21)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Tue May 14 07:23 - 21:21 (146+13:57)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Tue Apr 30 01:19 - 21:21 (160+20:02)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Tue Apr 30 00:42 - 21:21 (160+20:38)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Fri Apr 26 22:22 - 21:21 (163+22:58)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Wed Apr 17 00:10 - 21:21 (173+21:10)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Fri Nov  2 04:42 - 21:21 (339+15:39)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.8.2.e Sat Aug  4 11:55 - 04:31 (89+17:36)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.el5.0 Fri May 25 12:23 - 11:56 (70+23:32)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-308.el5.0 Mon May 14 08:44 - 11:53 (11+03:09)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sat May 12 04:18 - 11:53 (13+07:35)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sun Apr 29 19:15 - 00:48 (12+05:33)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sun Apr 29 11:27 - 00:48 (12+13:21)
    reboot   system boot  2.6.18-274.7.1.e Sun Apr 29 11:26 - 11:27  (00:00)
    [email protected] [~]#
    I can back this up with my Yearly Cacti graph as well which shows exactly the same picture.

Yes, since 29th April (2012) when the service was provisioned , it has been rebooted several times, and been on 3 different nodes. I can accept that Yes there is a requirement for a node to be rebooted 2-4 times a year to update Kernel, but beyond that...

The current node it is on (Houston4) on the 10th and 11th was not great - and that was within a few days of my doing the DNS changes and cutting over from the old "Golf" (I think) node.

On the 11th, I had to log in and re-start the VPS when my monitoring showed it as being down. Then again, I highly suspect that there were disk Issues/Abuse on the node around that time as I was logged in and the Load on my VPS was showing as 165 when it was sitting idle and IOwait was up around the 25 mark for a good few hours.

I know I have not opened a ticket to complain, well, because at the few $ a month I pay, it is not that critical if it is down for a few minutes here and there. I am simply bringing this up here as you indicated that it is unacceptable. Care to comment on the last 4 outages?

BTW, yes there are a few "teething problems" with this new node - PM me if you want further info!

Seriously, I am not complaining - as based on what I get for the price, the service of URPad is more than acceptable to me, otherwise I would have found an alternative. I actually think that the service has been better overall since they were taken over as well.

While I rarely use skype, I appreciate the invitation! Will discuss further in private where it belongs.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Hello.
    I'm very happy to know what the admins will do for me. The fact is that I have no backup (can't even find the one that I've done once), so what's the deal? I just have to do everything from scratch again. A full time job that won't be payed.