Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    45

    What would you pay for a custom wordpress theme with audio integration?

    Hey guys,

    I'm currently looking for a web designer but wanted some advice from the knowledgeable folk here before dishing out my hard earned cash.

    Basically I run a music site, but want to upgrade the layout and have something that integrates an audio player such as the examples I below. I'd need something that could playback SoundCloud audio (see Hillydilly for an example on this) and possible the audio from YouTube links & self hosted audio through a customer player on the page.

    the sites I'd like to emulate are:
    hillydilly.com - I really like the audio player & playlist functionaility
    earmilk.com - similar reason to hillydilly.com, however I do think the layout is a bit too complicated and would want it slightly more user friendly

    Also something that looks slick, with featured slider, nice layout, high level of customisation etc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    US; UK/EU; Asia/Australia
    Posts
    893
    Ha, for this kind of stuff sky is the limit in terms of pricing.
    In my opinion go to eLance and post your request there. Collect offers and determine which one you can afford or you are just what amount you are willing to spend. If you want a stable and sleek platform, be prepared to pay.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    Ha, for this kind of stuff sky is the limit in terms of pricing.
    In my opinion go to eLance and post your request there. Collect offers and determine which one you can afford or you are just what amount you are willing to spend. If you want a stable and sleek platform, be prepared to pay.
    With all due respect, I said I was willing to pay, your answer was completely pointless. Can people reply with estimates and their own experiences instead of pointless comments lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronicMusic View Post
    With all due respect, I said I was willing to pay, your answer was completely pointless. Can people reply with estimates and their own experiences instead of pointless comments lol
    It's not pointless. It's actually a good idea to post your work to a forum/site where people can directly make you an offer. Perhaps it's a bit obvious, but you didn't do it, did you?

    These projects do go from "lets tinker with this free layout and a couple of plugins" to "we've got three consultancies and an advertising agency working on our buzzword-ready e-portal".

    It usually takes me several mails to try to estimate the cost of a simple project. You're talking about "upgrade". What's the starting point? Do you expect to get a unique design, or does theme suffice? Do you mean that you should be able to customize the site, or does the design itself need to be highly customized? If it's the latter what exactly do you mean by that? Do you want single company to both design and develop your site?

    Please note that I'm not trying or willing to calculate you an estimate, because that would be completely pointless. Just trying to make a point here.

    Your technical specs do not seem that complex, and there might be a plugin for all of the things you mention. However, there be dragons. You need to dig in, and not just blindly guess.

    I'd say price might start from 3000 €/$ for a simple new website, when the project involves designer and developer that are fairly inexpensive, quick workers, know their stuff, but demand a first wold pay. If you're taking shortcuts such as premium themes, the price is drastically lower. Upgrading a site may cost as much as developing a new site, or much less.

    Does that help you? I'm not sure.
    Last edited by nettiapina; 11-11-2013 at 07:11 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    45
    Note the title of the thread, custom wordpress theme, not premium stock theme. I want an upgrade, I'm currently using a tweaked premium theme, and whilst I like it I know I need a much more user friendly and customized layout to increase time on site and make me stand out in a competitive niche.


    And FWIW that was the first thing I did, I have researched extensively but value some of the members on here and thought I could receive some good advice. I have consulted freelancer, elance, odesk etc but mostly it's foreign based designers and I don't want to struggle with communication on a project I'm investing a lot of money & time in. I actually came here because I know there are quite a few web designers I have spoken to in the past and was hoping they'd chime in. I omitted how much I'm willing to pay delibrately, as I want to get objective estimates & advice.

    Anyway, more interested in hearing from web designers who could tell me roughly what they would charge for this sort of project, thanks anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    It's not pointless. It's actually a good idea to post your work to a forum/site where people can directly make you an offer. Perhaps it's a bit obvious, but you didn't do it, did you?

    These projects do go from "lets tinker with this free layout and a couple of plugins" to "we've got three consultancies and an advertising agency working on our buzzword-ready e-portal".

    It usually takes me several mails to try to estimate the cost of a simple project. You're talking about "upgrade". What's the starting point? Do you expect to get a unique design, or does theme suffice? Do you mean that you should be able to customize the site, or does the design itself need to be highly customized? If it's the latter what exactly do you mean by that? Do you want single company to both design and develop your site?

    Please note that I'm not trying or willing to calculate you an estimate, because that would be completely pointless. Just trying to make a point here.

    Your technical specs do not seem that complex, and there might be a plugin for all of the things you mention. However, there be dragons. You need to dig in, and not just blindly guess.

    I'd say price might start from 3000 /$ for a simple new website, when the project involves designer and developer that are fairly inexpensive, quick workers, know their stuff, but demand a first wold pay. If you're taking shortcuts such as premium themes, the price is drastically lower. Upgrading a site may cost as much as developing a new site, or much less.

    Does that help you? I'm not sure.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronicMusic View Post
    Note the title of the thread, custom wordpress theme, not premium stock theme. I want an upgrade, I'm currently using a tweaked premium theme, and whilst I like it I know I need a much more user friendly and customized layout to increase time on site and make me stand out in a competitive niche.
    Sorry, I missed that. Well, there's my very rough "starting from" price for a complete website project. Keep in mind that it does include some communication, project meetings etc.

    There have been WHT threads with similar rough figures.

    I'm always using WordPress theme framework as the basic structure, so in a sense there's a "premium theme" behind every WP site I create. The actual graphical layouts usually come from a graphic artist, and they usually are completely custom. That's the "complete website project" scenario for me.

    If you'd use a framework (child) theme that's structurally close to what you need, and the graphical modifications were fairly minor, and the functionality was mostly from stock plugins or the audio/video services, I'd be willing to price accordingly. Wether or not your web developer is willing to take this account in his/her pricing - well, that's another story.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    45
    Thanks for the advice, I suppose that makes sense to use a framework in the design. Going to do a bit more research and see if I can source any good plug ins before going ahead.

    Thanks again

    Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    Sorry, I missed that. Well, there's my very rough "starting from" price for a complete website project. Keep in mind that it does include some communication, project meetings etc.

    There have been WHT threads with similar rough figures.

    I'm always using WordPress theme framework as the basic structure, so in a sense there's a "premium theme" behind every WP site I create. The actual graphical layouts usually come from a graphic artist, and they usually are completely custom. That's the "complete website project" scenario for me.

    If you'd use a framework (child) theme that's structurally close to what you need, and the graphical modifications were fairly minor, and the functionality was mostly from stock plugins or the audio/video services, I'd be willing to price accordingly. Wether or not your web developer is willing to take this account in his/her pricing - well, that's another story.

Similar Threads

  1. Customize wordpress theme + WHMCS integration
    By Kijjy in forum Design Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM
  2. PSD to HTML/CSS, Wordpress Theme Integration
    By leanocodes in forum Design Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 01:33 AM
  3. Wordpress Theme Integration
    By tuwebfacil in forum Design Requests
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 07:47 AM
  5. Wordpress theme/graphics/integration
    By Nnyan in forum Design Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •