Desperately need help: Addon Domains and Emails

Hi there, I have been trying to resolve an issue with Crazy Domains for almost 4 weeks now and it is driving me crazy - they seem to have no clue I am in DESPERATE need of help now and would appreciate any you can provide.

Our client has owned their domain for a long time and administers their own DNS. They use their own email exchange as well as a few other things and therefore needed to stay with their DNS. We are now hosting their web page as an 'addon' domain on our shared hosting account.
    As soon as we added the addon domain to our hosting, we have been unable to receive emails from them. The bounce back says it is an 'Unrouteable address'.

The contact form on their website which is set to send to one of their email addresses (the same as their domain). It appears the server is looking for that email address on the local server as opposed to trying to send remotely and accessing their DNS / MX records.
    Is there a way to force our server to lookup the MX record for the emails it's sending instead of just trying to find the account locally?
    * If i create an email address on our server ending in their domain name, the contact form successfully sends to that email.

It seems that our shared server is trying to handle emails for our client in a few different ways, where as what I want it to do is just host the web page and leave their emails external for both sending and receiving.

I am becoming increasingly desperate for a solution now and any help you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

It sounds like you need to set the MX record for the domain to point to the IP address of their mailserver - in the DNS zone for their domain on your server. Your server will assume that it hosts the whole domain, so will look up the MX record it from your server. Therefore, mail sent from an external source will reach the correct MX server, but mail sent from your server (and therefore from their website on your server) will route locally and bounce. Changing the MX record you hold for then should fix this.

PS: I'd suggest checking your provider's TOS to check they're happy with you hosting client sites as add-ons.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Thanks so much for your help, James.

Can you confirm what the MX Record(s) should look like?

You mention pointing them to an IP address, but I have been given the following:
    MX 10 mta3.netsmart.net.nz
    MX 10 mta4.netsmart.net.nz

Does that look correct to you?

Thanks again for your help!

Sorry, my bad. Yes, MX records aren't IP addresses but the text record in the form you've given, with a priority number. They should be whatever the MX records are on their master DNS server, wherever that is.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Thanks so much for your help! If this works, I will forever be in your debt!

Thanks again!

if the dns is managed by the client, you shouldn't have it enable on your server.
    Just delete it.
    Fernando - Bitline Hosting Services
    Web Hosting - Since 2002

If it's a cPanel server, and you added the domain to your addon domains, and if you're emailing from another domain on that server, it's considered a 'local domain', and not a 'remote domain'.

The domain is probably currently listed in '/etc/localdomains'. Remove the line containing the domain, add it to '/etc/remotedomains', and you should be good

Thanks for your help guys.

Unfortunately, Crazy Domains web hosting does not use cPanel (it did when we signed up but it soon changed to its own control panel).

I therefore don't have access to a lot of features such as the MX records. It's so difficult trying to explain to them what the problem is and what I think they need to do - they don't seem to have a clue. I was expecting support similar to what you fantastic people have provided, but they just don't seem to have any idea.

I have instructed them to change the MX records for the addon domain in question to the ones I stated above. Am I right in thinking this will correct the issue? Or do any other settings need to be changed? (for example, will it need to be set to 'remote' somewhere as well?)

Thanks again for your help guys - this has been going on for weeks and I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. Superb effort!

Quote Originally Posted by ste9890 View Post
    I have instructed them to change the MX records for the addon domain in question to the ones I stated above. Am I right in thinking this will correct the issue? Or do any other settings need to be changed? (for example, will it need to be set to 'remote' somewhere as well?)
    There are no need for other settings. The "remote" thing translates as: It would be a good idea to make sure they know that those should be the only MX records for that domain. It wouldn't hurt to spell out that there should be no local ones as well.
    James

Everything is now working - 3 weeks and 1 day after opening a support ticket with Crazy Domains. And in the end I had to tell them exactly what to do after much research.

Couldn't have done it without this forum, so thank you guys so much! Will recommend this forum wherever possible.

That's such good news - thanks for taking the time to come back and cheer us all up by telling us that it worked!
    James