Need 1/4 Rack Colocation

Hello boys (and girls),

We will be ARIN member soon (already have ASN, IPv6 within next week, 2 weeks for IPv4) and are now looking for some colocation. I think a 1/4 Rack (or 10U) should be enough for the beginning. Going to use a Vyatta box or Mikrotik one as our router. In case of Mikrotik we could even start using it as switch/bridge.

However, I was in contact with a few providers, but really not happy. To be honest, we're mostly from Europe and not that familiar with the US market.

Fiberhub was looking nice in the beginning, but their sales isn't helpful at all and isn't moving forward, with GoRack it's similar (We would use them if they would offer similar protected network like Fiberhub with Blacklotus and not charging $210 for getting Gbit port that is only possible if you get 100Mbit dedicated)

Requirements:

- 1/4 or 10U
    - 20-50Mbit traffic on Gbit port
    - 5-6A included
    - BGP Session
    - Announcing IPs under own ASN
    - /28 or something like that
    - Possibility to get second network port for router redundancy
    - Free Cross-Connection to MMR or one-time fee only
    - Free basic remote hands (KVM, reboots, HDD swap, racking)

Location: East (NY, VA, FL) or West-Coast (LA, NV, Seattle (in this case would be nice to have free cross-connect to SIX))

Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Amfy View Post
    Hello boys (and girls),

We will be ARIN member soon (already have ASN, IPv6 within next week, 2 weeks for IPv4) and are now looking for some colocation. I think a 1/4 Rack (or 10U) should be enough for the beginning. Going to use a Vyatta box or Mikrotik one as our router. In case of Mikrotik we could even start using it as switch/bridge.

However, I was in contact with a few providers, but really not happy. To be honest, we're mostly from Europe and not that familiar with the US market.

Fiberhub was looking nice in the beginning, but their sales isn't helpful at all and isn't moving forward, with GoRack it's similar (We would use them if they would offer similar protected network like Fiberhub with Blacklotus and not charging $210 for getting Gbit port that is only possible if you get 100Mbit dedicated)

Requirements:

- 1/4 or 10U
    - 5-6A included
    - BGP Session

Location: East (NY, VA, FL) or West-Coast (LA, NV, Seattle (in this case would be nice to have free cross-connect to SIX))

Any recommendations?
    What type of budget do you have planned for this? Are your chassis hot-swap? Or are you expecting internal HDD replaced for free? Most x-connects have MRC's & NRC's; especially when running through different floors/buildings.

Hello boys (and girls),

Requirements:

- 1/4 or 10U
    - 5-6A included
    - BGP Session

Any recommendations?
    Are you looking for a DDoS protected network? I'm willing to be Fiberhub will step in and correct any issues you're having currently.

Hmm… From technical point of view your requirements are fair and it is not something data centers and colo providers would not do. However you'd ned to drop "Free Cross-Connection to MMR or one-time fee only" and "Free basic remote hands (KVM, reboots, HDD swap, racking)". Why?

The Colo provider might not offer "free" remote hands as they would not know how many hours of remote hands you'd need per month. When it come to "free cross-connect" this is virtually impossible for those Colo provider who do not own the infrastructure and the colo rooms. And even if they have a good leasing contract or even if they own part of building, they still might need go to a different floor to provide cross-connect to you. So I believe it is much better to understand that you;d need to pay a reasonable monthly fee for cross-connects and to try to negotiate any low cost monthly fee for remote hands/management services. You'd might get 1 hour free remote hands, but as you'd expect, this would be "best effort" service.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I'm working in a small datacenter as well, I totally understand that no one can include unlimited free remote hands. If it's limited to 30-60 minutes a month or as said limited to basic remote hands I'm more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    What type of budget do you have planned for this? Are your chassis hot-swap? Or are you expecting internal HDD replaced for free? Most x-connects have MRC's & NRC's; especially when running through different floors/buildings.
    Yes, chassis will have hot-swap HDDs.

With Fiberhub it was like, any small feature we asked for there were additional fees, there was nothing "Hey if you order within the next two weeks, I can include you that", we still haven't received a proper quote for all the details. I still haven't received what exactly they would charge for the Blacklotus protection (only that it might cost additional $100, while I heard from many others that they only pay for incoming traffic there).

Regarding the cross-connection: Thank you very much guys, as said we're mostly from europe and the DCs we know here are often giving us free cross-connections or with a small one-time fee, but if this is not possible in the US, we have to accept that.

Since ARIN wasn't free and equipment needs to be bought, Budget is kinda limited for now. We prefer to not pay more than $250 a month.

I'm working in a small datacenter as well, I totally understand that no one can include unlimited free remote hands. If it's limited to 30-60 minutes a month or as said limited to basic remote hands I'm more than happy.

Yes, chassis will have hot-swap HDDs.

With Fiberhub it was like, any small feature we asked for there were additional fees, there was nothing "Hey if you order within the next two weeks, I can include you that", we still haven't received a proper quote for all the details. I still haven't received what exactly they would charge for the Blacklotus protection (only that it might cost additional $100, while I heard from many others that they only pay for incoming traffic there).

Regarding the cross-connection: Thank you very much guys, as said we're mostly from europe and the DCs we know here are often giving us free cross-connections or with a small one-time fee, but if this is not possible in the US, we have to accept that.

Since ARIN wasn't free and equipment needs to be bought, Budget is kinda limited for now. We prefer to not pay more than $250 a month.
    1/4 rack for $250/month is on the very low side especially with all the free features you're asking for. I'd be nervous to sign up even if offered such pricing as you'd see lower quality remote hands and/or data center.

Requiring 10% commit on a port is not out of norm - a request many ask for.

Maybe you'd be wilingly to sign a longer term contract? That might help.
    Hyperconnezion - your fast path to success
    IT management, Cloud and Data Center Services in Asia Pacific

<< Free Cross-Connection to MMR or one-time fee only >>

What is the MMR cross-connect for, if you appear to be needing all these network requirements from the provider themselves?
    The cross-connect could put you at double your project alone, depending on the facility, so best to leave that out.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    << Free Cross-Connection to MMR or one-time fee only >>

What is the MMR cross-connect for, if you appear to be needing all these network requirements from the provider themselves?
    The cross-connect could put you at double your project alone, depending on the facility, so best to leave that out.
    Well, we plan to get our own bandwidth 3-6 months after starting, so we want to connect to at least one upstream provider in addition to the existing uplink to the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by concerto49 View Post
    1/4 rack for $250/month is on the very low side especially with all the free features you're asking for. .
    It's a little low, but not impossible. It depends on whether the client needs certifications like SSAE16.

If you (the client) do require certs, check out 365 Main's data centers. We use a 365 Main facilities in various markets and they've been able to give pretty reasonable pricing in this regard AND they have SSAE16 at all of their locations now.
    If you're interested in VA, check out 365 Main's data center in Reston.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

Well, I spoke to another bunch of providers, but still haven't found any offers I would go with. Fiberhub (Rob) isn't responding since a week, I think I will never consider them again, this is not acceptable.

I had contact with two smaller providers (resellers of larger DCs) that even met our budget requirements, but I'm not totally sure if we can trust them with our expensive equipment, not sure where they will be in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    It's a little low, but not impossible. It depends on whether the client needs certifications like SSAE16.
    I requested pricing from your sales team as well, but got quoted two times of our mention budget.

It's really funny, in Europe it's like a completely different world. We run our own cabs here, do routing on our own, if we need anything the DC always tries to assist us in any possible way without thinking about money all the time.

I requested pricing from your sales team as well, but got quoted two times of our mention budget.
    Ahh, I see. Sorry about that. I honestly thought we could do better than you had asked for. I'll check into it and see if we can work out some better deal, then have your account exec email you again.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers

It's really funny, in Europe it's like a completely different world. We run our own cabs here, do routing on our own, if we need anything the DC always tries to assist us in any possible way without thinking about money all the time.
    There's many providers in the US that care about your uptime more than money. But at the same time shooting low budgets doesn't give the provider a lot of margins for staff.
    █ Brian Kearney, Stealthy Hosting Inc. Seattle, WA [AS54931] Skype: StealthyHosting
    Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Remote Hands Colocation

█ Email: [email protected] Phone: 253-880-1233

Getting someone to do no cross connect charges or one-time fee only is likely not going to be possible at that price.

You should raise your budget a bit or change your requirements a bit. Sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best. You want think about what's important to you. Spending a bit of money for the security of knowing that your server isn't going to go down and knowing that the company is going to be there for along time is important.