Unhappy WHMCS Template Problems

Hi

I am brand new here but I have searched for this however there seem to be nothing but advertising for WHMCS and hosting when I search.

I am having real problems with sending templated emails from WHMCS. If I send a customer a 'New Message' from the front page of their profile then it works fine but as soon as I send a password reset/automated billing notification etc (anything that has a template) it doesn't even get to the recipients mailbox. By that I mean, it's not even in the junk folders it just never arrives.

Having a look at the logs the emails have been sent then when I run a trace in cpanel the emails have been sent an marked as accepted. They just don't arrive.

I've done a lot of work on this and am really struggling.

The following has been checked/setup:

• I'm using SMTP, not PHP Mail
    • Checked spam lists and my IP address isn't blocked anywhere
    • Configured SPF
    • Configured DKIM
    • Checked rDNS and it's available
    • Used my domain version of the SMTP server and my hosts (which I now works because I receive billing notes from them)
    • Changed template subjects in WHMCS

All of the above haven't helped.

A ticket has been raised with WHMCS and they say it's probably my host. And yes, I've raised a ticket with my host and they say it's not them.

I really hope someone here can help? I am in a situation where my billing system is broken and I don't know if moving away from WHMCS will help.

Sorry for the wordy post but I am struggling

Thanks for your time

Quote Originally Posted by cyoung75 View Post
    Having a look at the logs the emails have been sent then when I run a trace in cpanel the emails have been sent an marked as accepted. They just don't arrive.

I really hope someone here can help? I am in a situation where my billing system is broken and I don't know if moving away from WHMCS will help.
    It's should work anything with no problem. Did you check the logs from WHMCS, maybe you have some logs to point you to your problem?

Some logs like: "Fatal error: Smarty error: [in emailtpl" or something else.

I never had any this kind of problem.

Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

thanks for your help

I've had a look at all the logs in Utilities and they all look as though everything is working fine. There are a couple of automatic suspension entry errors but they are part of the cron job I have setup.

Are there other logs I can't see or don't have enabled?

thanks for your help

I've had a look at all the logs in Utilities and they all look as though everything is working fine. There are a couple of automatic suspension entry errors but they are part of the cron job I have setup.

Are there other logs I can't see or don't have enabled?
    So I need more info.
    1. After you send the email from WHMCS (main client page) you received the message "Email Sent Successfully to " ?
    2. check if the email sent exist in user tab "Emails"
    3. Check in /var/log/exim_mainlog if the email log exist and if went trough
    4. Check if the user email is corect
    5. If you can do a test to a email address that you have on the same server to see if going trough.
    6 . Check if the template in cause is not disable "tick this box to disable this email from being sent"
    Regards
    ROWEBCA
    Server Services

I don't know if moving away from WHMCS will help.
    It's not an issue with WHMCS.

Try a different mail method and expand your checks to include the name an ip of your server, not just the one assigned to your account.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Rowebca

1. After you send the email from WHMCS (main client page) you received the message "Email Sent Successfully to " ?
    Yes for a new message email
    2. check if the email sent exist in user tab "Emails"
    I sent both an invoice reminder and a new message and they both appear under 'recent emails'
    3. Check in /var/log/exim_mainlog if the email log exist and if went trough
    Not sure where this is. I've tried to browse my folders in filezilla but can't see them there
    4. Check if the user email is corect
    Checked and it appears to be fine
    5. If you can do a test to a email address that you have on the same server to see if going trough.
    Sent a new message and invoice reminder to an address with the same domain name and it arrived
    6 . Check if the template in cause is not disable "tick this box to disable this email from being sent"
    Checked and none of the invoice templates are disabled

astutiumRob

Try a different mail method and expand your checks to include the name an ip of your server, not just the one assigned to your account.

Not 100% sure what you mean. I took a stab at it and put the mail servers IP address in the config instead of the cname and it didn't make any difference to the results. I think I only have one server assigned to me and wouldn't know how to get another one.

Perfectly willing to try anything you suggest. I notice you resell mailboxes. Is that what you mean? try another mail host? I'd be willing to try one of your mailboxes if you think that would make a difference.

Not 100% sure what you mean. I took a stab at it and put the mail servers IP address in the config instead of the cname and it didn't make any difference to the results.
    No, I meant change which mail method you have configured WHMCS to use (in settings), and to check not just your IP/domain but the server IP/domain when testing blacklists.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

So far I've tried PHP Mail and SMTP. Are there other delivery methods I can try?

I had a look around but it appears that my mail server is the same as the host server which is also the same as my hosts SMTP server IP.

Ok, this isn't really a 'template' issue, but a mail issue.
    When you say you've looked at the logs, what exactly are you doing. I'm assuming a simple
    Code:
    grep [email protected] /var/log/exim_mainlog
    with the [email protected] being the sending address?
    assuming you're using cpanel/exim , with root access to the server?

That's about the only way you'll be able to find out what's going on here. What is the output of that?
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

It looks as though may be working now. I set up a dummy account and gave it a product. After that I received the email and it wasn't in my junk mail either.

When I was testing before I was trying to resend previous invoices so I don't know if there is some sort of header information that remained constant and adding things like the SPF record didn't affect those mails because it was too late.

I will monitor over the next few days and actually see if any of my clients actually pay

Thanks for all your help, it's given me good insight into what I need to look for in future problems