Server Configuration Query

Hello,

I need your opinion on best server configuration. Currently I am running the following server for shared hosting:

Dual 5520 Quad-Core
    Xeon 2.26GHz with HT & Turbo,
    32GB RAM,
    2 x 100GB Sata, RAID 1

However this was severely limited by IO so I decided for RAID 10 but I was unable to find the same server in RAID 10 so I had to get a new server with following configs:

Core Intel Xeon E3-1270 V3
    RAM 24GB DDR3 ECC
    Disk Controller RAID 10 (3ware)
    Hard Drive 1TB Enterprise SATA (x4)

So please guide if this is a wise choice?

Thanks!

That is a good choice if you want better IO.

Moved > Dedicated Server .
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by p4kp4k View Post
    Hello,

I need your opinion on best server configuration. Currently I am running the following server for shared hosting:

Dual 5520 Quad-Core
    Xeon 2.26GHz with HT & Turbo,
    32GB RAM,
    2 x 100GB Sata, RAID 1

However this was severely limited by IO so I decided for RAID 10 but I was unable to find the same server in RAID 10 so I had to get a new server with following configs:

Core Intel Xeon E3-1270 V3
    RAM 24GB DDR3 ECC
    Disk Controller RAID 10 (3ware)
    Hard Drive 1TB Enterprise SATA (x4)

So please guide if this is a wise choice?

Thanks!
    Wouldn't give you great IO. If you want really good IO, put 2 SSD's as well alongside those HDD's in RAID10. Or 8 HDD's.

Thanks for guidance. In terms of CPU performance how would it cope i.e. will the new server cpu give at-least 75% of original server's performance? Similarly in terms of IO using the raid 10 should give double speeds in theory but will it actually increase the efficiency by 2x.

Again thanks for help.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamaniasad View Post
    Wouldn't give you great IO. If you want really good IO, put 2 SSD's as well alongside those HDD's in RAID10. Or 8 HDD's.
    Actually the datacenter only supports 4 drives, so I can either go with 2 RAID 1 SATA and 2 RAID 1 SSD.

But will the RAID 10 not give at-least double performence than that of RAID 1?

Speaking of numbers, your earlier config gave you 1.58024691358025 times better performance.(CPU). So around 160% the performance that your new server will give you. So your newer config is somewhere in th 70%'s range. I am not entirely sure what you mean by efficiency, but you get more security and speed using RAID10. Your files are distributed between two drives and then both of those are cloned, allowing for double the speeds and safety, theoretically.

EDIT: Just saw your new post, I think RAID 10 should give you double the performance of RAID 1, but it should be better than that, since seems like your older server had some old slow drives(judging by capacity)
    Last edited by dhamaniasad; 11-09-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamaniasad View Post
    EDIT: Just saw your new post, I think RAID 10 should give you double the performance of RAID 1, but it should be better than that, since seems like your older server had some old slow drives(judging by capacity)
    Are there any commands I can use to check if the drives are working okay? i.e up to their capacity. I still have access to the old server.

While ordering I selected SATA III which are quite newer drives. The new server is Enterprise SATA.

Thanks

Are there any commands I can use to check if the drives are working okay? i.e up to their capacity. I still have access to the old server.

While ordering I selected SATA III which are quite newer drives. The new server is Enterprise SATA.

Thanks
    The smartctl and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda6 bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync commands will give you all the information you'd need. The second one is a speed test.

Thanks, the dd command is giving the following results:

1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 30.2671 s, 35.5 MB/s

on the raid 1 server while on the new server it is giving:

1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.374713 s, 2.9 GB/s

It may be because the old server is still receiving traffic and new server has just started.

Thanks, the dd command is giving the following results:

1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 30.2671 s, 35.5 MB/s

on the raid 1 server while on the new server it is giving:

1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.374713 s, 2.9 GB/s

It may be because the old server is still receiving traffic and new server has just started.
    Since those were old drives, and these are newer drives in RAID10, those numbers seem about right. But your old drives are way too slow. I get 900 MB/s on my own server with a single SATA drive.
    Your new ones should suffice, nice speeds.