How to determine if VPS hosting provider offers good quality services?

I used RamNode for 3 months. Unfortunately 3-4 times get Connection Timeout (last time the Timeout was more than hour). When asked why, RamNode replied that it is because of DDoS attacks and they can do nothing. My website is about accounting and legal services. No stolen content etc. On other hostings see no such attacks.
    Otherwise RamNode would be good hosting (servers almost all time was up). But because of these DDoS attacks (and one another not good behavior: In hosting management cancelled hosting at the end of billing period. But short time after I cancelled hosting, websites were not accessible and I could not login to ftp and could not access my files. All I could do, I could reinstall Centos, to delete all content. Not good behavior).

Now trying BuyVM as they offers some protection against DDoS attacks. But website is down for 9 hours, can not login through ssh…. something crazy. Is it depends on amount of money I pay? If would pay more money, would get better quality?

At the moment see only solution, pay for one month and test. If month ok, pay for next. Only... not all hosting providers offers monthly payments. Some requires to pay quarterly, some for whole year.
    Last edited by rigaconnect; 11-09-2013 at 04:40 AM.

What is your ticket ID so that we can review your specific situation?
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

[Ticket ID: 632061] NLSVZ1

To clarify, we didn't say there was nothing we could do about DDoS attacks. In that particular scenario, there was no way to promise I could prevent the effects of DDoS from impacting your VPS. To give some context, you opened a ticket in the middle of a unique situation where someone was attacking a bunch of our NL IPs sequentially. We were also seeing attacks in Atlanta of a similarly strange nature at the same time. When you asked if moving your VPS to Seattle would be a solution to the problem, I said, "Seattle may be impacted if the random IP attacks continue. There is no guarantee your VPS would be up if all your neighbors are being hit there." That's what was going on in the NL, and there was nothing normal about such a scenario. Even if you were given a filtered IP that day, it would not have guaranteed that the people around you would not in some way impact your service. For all we knew, Seattle was about to be hit as well, and I didn't want to give you false assurance. Normally DDoS is not an issue, particularly since we rolled out RamNull (which we stabilized for the NL location while this event was ongoing), but we were all somewhat stuck in a difficult situation for those first several hours. With our Seattle DDoS filtering and universal implementation of automated nullroutes (RamNull), I am confident you would still be well-served hosting with us.

Regarding your issue of apparently losing access to your files: that would have had nothing to do with you submitting a cancellation. We would have been able to assist you if you opened a ticket when that happened.

Good luck elsewhere but please make sure you are taking context into consideration when you analyze the services of any given provider. It will help others make accurate judgments.

Thanks for efforts. RamNode would be good hosting if would not happen these DDoS attacks....

Quote Originally Posted by rigaconnect View Post
    Thanks for efforts. RamNode would be good hosting if would not happen these DDoS attacks....
    That's my whole point - you seem to be judging quality based on a single, random event which has only happened to use once in over a year of service. Plus, we have put measures in place to mitigate the effects of such an event if it were to ever happen again.

In general, paying more for a hosting service will get you a higher quality service (that is only if hosts are being a little bit honest with their pricing).

VPS hosting is so inexpensive, compared to dedicated hosting, that you can't lose by going month-to-month with a demo unit until you're satisfied with the hosting environment. I would recommend this practice to anyone seeking VPS hosting.