Threaded View

Open Source is dying already!

There is really nothing else that angers me more than seeing software who claims to be open source to start separating things having enterprise version and limiting features for the free version. I have seen many so called "open source" projects which will go this route. They will separate things up and they usually do this when the project has gained lots of attention from people and then they start off limiting features for the free version and start telling you why getting a paid version is goo. To make matters worse they will never have a lifetime license..no because they want to keep siphoning money from your pockets why so many paid software companies have failed and why the old business plan stopped working. Now they are beginning to go back to that same route again. If you want to charge charge once and go do something else. You cant keep people in bondage using your software and make them keep paying recurring fees.

Nginx has made this turn now with nginx.com http://nginx.com/products/ So many more companies like this to name.

I think it is time to start calling out these companies who use open source to startout and then diverge to fully profit based. We don't need more of these profit oriented businesses. If your goal is profit then start as being profit based so people wasting their time supporting your software can find a more loyal open-source project to contribute their time to.

WHAT I AGREE WITH:

What i do agree with is for fully open-source companies to offer support and get paid for support of the software. But they should have ALL versions have the SAME features. Example of a company like this is proxmox.com virtualization software and others. Hopefully they keep been like that and set example for others.
    Last edited by nokia3310; 11-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*