Open Source is dying already!

There is really nothing else that angers me more than seeing software who claims to be open source to start separating things having enterprise version and limiting features for the free version. I have seen many so called "open source" projects which will go this route. They will separate things up and they usually do this when the project has gained lots of attention from people and then they start off limiting features for the free version and start telling you why getting a paid version is goo. To make matters worse they will never have a lifetime license..no because they want to keep siphoning money from your pockets why so many paid software companies have failed and why the old business plan stopped working. Now they are beginning to go back to that same route again. If you want to charge charge once and go do something else. You cant keep people in bondage using your software and make them keep paying recurring fees.

Nginx has made this turn now with nginx.com http://nginx.com/products/ So many more companies like this to name.

I think it is time to start calling out these companies who use open source to startout and then diverge to fully profit based. We don't need more of these profit oriented businesses. If your goal is profit then start as being profit based so people wasting their time supporting your software can find a more loyal open-source project to contribute their time to.

WHAT I AGREE WITH:

What i do agree with is for fully open-source companies to offer support and get paid for support of the software. But they should have ALL versions have the SAME features. Example of a company like this is proxmox.com virtualization software and others. Hopefully they keep been like that and set example for others.
    Last edited by nokia3310; 11-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    mission critical!

You sure do have a lot of anger for everything on the internet.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I don't see the problem. It doesn't seem like they have taken anything away from nginx, just provided additional features and support as an avenue to attract large businesses & corporations. You need to provide enterprise features and support to attract corporate clients. They still have their open source version that people can use freely and contribute to.

If you see a feature that their paid version has that their free version does not, you are free to contribute the time, money, and effort to add on the code.

P.S. It is a pretty misleading title because they did not get rid of their open source project.

As a software developer I’d like to share my thoughts. I’ll start with saying I’ve heard many other people say similar things, and I think people who are not developers really seem to devalue software development.

I’m not too familiar with the changes that NGINX are making within their organization, though I did look at the products page and their new features/pricing/editions so my comments will be more general and not NGINX specific. It seems that NGINX is still going to be open source though.

The reality is, it takes a great deal of time to build software. I can’t even begin to tell you the number of times I’ve planned things out perfectly, then realize I need to continue to go back over things to really derive perfection, when you build new software application, it can takes weeks, months or even half a year or more. During this period in time a software developer has to deal with paying bills, a company who is more than a one man shop has to worry about employee costs, office expenses, and many other things. A company needs to earn money to survive and the reality is that many people who use Open Source products do not donate or contribute in any manner.

Take a look at all the hosting companies on this forum, thousands of them, most of them run the same software, Apache, PHP, MySQL, Pro/Pure-FTP to power their companies with the sole intention of making money. How many of these very same companies donated to these projects? I'm willing to bet < 1%. How can the people behind these projects pay their bills and maintain the projects? There is a reason why many Open Source projects simply fizzle out, the developer will work hard on the project for a certain length of time and then realize it’s been a total waste of time dealing with support questions, bug fixes, security issues and general software improvements. The way some companies such as NGINX appear to be dealing with the lack of contributions is to release a base product for free and sell upgrades, called the freemium model which many companies have experimented with.

I’ve always considered this idea of “Open Source” to be nothing more than a sales/promotional tactic, since the reality is very few people are going to even look at the source code, know how to program, or even care to create additional features since that would take time out of their precious day. Being “Open Source”, and allowing for people to review and make changes to your code does carry a certain weight, people do not feel locked down, trapped, and seem to feel safer, they like the fact that they can customize it to an extend to their specific needs and the list goes on.

I would like to address some of your concerns specifically

1. “To make matters worse they will never have a lifetime license..no because they want to keep siphoning money from your pockets why so many paid software companies have failed and why the old business plan stopped working
    If I have 5 employees, what good would a lifetime license be to me? My employees would still need to be paid monthly, so I would need to have recurring income right? Perhaps the paid software companies in the past could not develop the software within a specific cost, had bad management or a variety of factors, companies succeed and fail on an every day basis.

2. “You cant keep people in bondage using your software and make them keep paying recurring fees
    The Linux operating system is Open Source, is there a reason you can’t make your own web server, database server, ftp server? Then there would be no need for any fees, and you could free yourself from bondage. There though leaves you with a serious problem, to do all of this would require more work than a single person could do, you would need to have an entire team, someone to manage these projects, someone to respond to bug reports and make quick security patches, this can’t be done after your shift at work, so you need full time employees, and where would you get the money for that? Recurring fees, generated in some manner. There is a huge time expense when dealing with software, since it has to be planned in advance, coded, tested and then tested some more. At some point with software you will have to pay, and if not the project that you are deriving some form of benefit may no longer be adequately maintained.

3. “We don't need more of these profit oriented businesses.
    As a software developer, it upsets me that there seem to be people out there who think that everything should just be free, no one has to support the developers, these people should just volunteer their time to do all of this work for free, since we can’t possibly have mortgages, girl friends, cars, or anything else normal people have. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been contacted by people who are willing to give me 5% equity to build their App/Software, it will only take a few months they tell me, weekly meetings, phone calls, these people are never willing to invest their own time or money into learning programming or even feeling strongly enough to sell off their car to help fund the project. They have an idea and they just need a programmer. I’d encourage you to give this link a read: http://www.cs.uni.edu/~wallingf/blog...1T15_45_40.htm, I'll give you a tip, he basically concludes that people who want things for nothing should learn to program themselves, then you can get exactly what you want.

4. “If your goal is profit then start as being profit based so people wasting their time supporting your software can find a more loyal open-source project to contribute their time to”
    If another company were to start out fresh with no code base, how would their software compare to the leading competitors in terms of features? They would have to charge almost nothing, and in that case it’s better for that company to release things for free, build a community, try to get donations and then if that is not working, to try to switch to a freemium model, something that I myself am toying with. I have tons of projects just sitting on my computer, a basic control panel, VM software, server management software and I’m still considering releasing these on some form a freemium model or post model to build a community and then earn a decent living on.

I guess the whole perspective that I am trying to share with you is that it’s hard developing software, and it’s a job. Doctors do not work for free, lawyers do not work for free, food is not free, even the people at McDonalds are not working for free, so why should a programmer, or a group of them that have come together to build something such as NGINX, not deserve to make a living off the work they have invested so much time in? I say they do and I support NGINX’s move towards charging for new features.

Keep in mind that these are simply my thoughts but if you agree, feel free to use the Thumbs Up! Button to the right.

People have to make a profit some how though, maybe these open source projects started out as a hobby but are now a source of income for these people. Of course I don't agree with this model, I think you should just throw up a donation button and if you make good software surely donations will come in, but it's the unfortunate reality of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    You sure do have a lot of anger for everything on the internet.
    Not really because i do commend on good things...so sometimes i have to do same for bad things...its how i stay honest
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by SocketMain View Post
    I guess the whole perspective that I am trying to share with you is that it’s hard developing software, and it’s a job. Doctors do not work for free, lawyers do not work for free, food is not free, even the people at McDonalds are not working for free, so why should a programmer, or a group of them that have come together to build something such as NGINX, not deserve to make a living off the work they have invested so much time in? I say they do and I support NGINX’s move towards charging for new features.

Keep in mind that these are simply my thoughts but if you agree, feel free to use the Thumbs Up! Button to the right.
    Thanks a lot for your input especially knowing you are a software developer yourself. I get your point and i will like to clarify things.

#1. Yes i do like companies that make great software and charge a FAIR price for it. I have paid for several software and will continue to pay for them as long as they are useful for me.

Let me tell you something...the world is changing and business is basically making money off of people who do not know what you know OR who cannot do what you can do..it is that basic on lay man's term. So things are changing because people are becoming knowledgeable now and so many business models have to change. The time of knowing something no one else knows and charging a arm and leg is not going to go for too long and this applies to providing services as well. With the internet people are beginning to know basic things now. Except if one has the best software in a niche i.e Idera then it will be hard to command price in that niche. Idera for now is enjoying that power but may not last too long. Also their pricing is not too bad either which will make them stay at the top for a while.

#2. I do not agree with recurring fees for software. Yes i will say this over and over again. Look i will advice you but you don't have to take my advice. If you have great products you are planning to get into the market to sell then you need to look into lifetime license. I am telling you this.

You will think it wont work but trust me it will work more than you think.

Yes yes yes i know how you feel..i can keep making money every month from subscribers but it wont last too long when people find an open source that is close for free.
    One company i love is DirectAdmin check them out http://www.directadmin.com/pricing.html

Guess what? I bought 4 lifetime license when i needed a control panel like 4 years ago. I only needed 1 but i got 4 just because i loved the pricing model. I saw cpanel and parallel plesk but i never loved their pricing.

It is this pricing model that has kept DirectAdmin in the market and they are striving and doing well.

In all. I think you need to do some research into why hollywood keeps complaining they are loosing money. Try to research that and also if you got some time...ask Kim Dotcom how to fix hollywood's problem. I tell you when you have a nice attitude towards people they will like you back. Charging or trying to over charge people for something is not a nice attitude. Charging them fairly is. And that is what will keep you been loved!
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your input especially knowing you are a software developer yourself. I get your point and i will like to clarify things.

#1. Yes i do like companies that make great software and charge a FAIR price for it. I have paid for several software and will continue to pay for them as long as they are useful for me.

Let me tell you something...the world is changing and business is basically making money off of people who do not know what you know OR who cannot do what you can do..it is that basic on lay man's term. So things are changing because people are becoming knowledgeable now and so many business models have to change. The time of knowing something no one else knows and charging a arm and leg is not going to go for too long and this applies to providing services as well. With the internet people are beginning to know basic things now. Except if one has the best software in a niche i.e Idera then it will be hard to command price in that niche. Idera for now is enjoying that power but may not last too long. Also their pricing is not too bad either which will make them stay at the top for a while.
    I certainly agree with you that business is made from charging people who lack knowledge in a certain specialties such as the the Medical field or even Server Management, and especially that business have to change to survive.

One thing though that should be clear is that NGINXís pricing is highly unlikely to be anything random. Your definition of FAIR, and NGINXís are going to be different and if so, you might not be the customer they are seeking. Iím sure that those numbers were decided based on study and careful calculations, and that is what they found to be fair to the customers in particular they are targeting. To put this in perspective, when I first started out, I used to charge almost nothing for custom development, I found that it was not economical due to the support requests I was getting, so I raised my prices. I lost customers Iím sure of, but it made sense in the long run.

If the price NGINX is not fair, perhaps those who feel the same way will continue with the limited features they are providing or switch to another web server such as LiteSpeed.

#2. I do not agree with recurring fees for software. Yes i will say this over and over again. Look i will advice you but you don't have to take my advice. If you have great products you are planning to get into the market to sell then you need to look into lifetime license. I am telling you this.

You will think it wont work but trust me it will work more than you think.

Yes yes yes i know how you feel..i can keep making money every month from subscribers but it wont last too long when people find an open source that is close for free.
    One company i love is DirectAdmin check them out http://www.directadmin.com/pricing.html

Guess what? I bought 4 lifetime license when i needed a control panel like 4 years ago. I only needed 1 but i got 4 just because i loved the pricing model. I saw cpanel and parallel plesk but i never loved their pricing.

It is this pricing model that has kept DirectAdmin in the market and they are striving and doing well.
    The problem with lifetime licenses is the money is a quick cash infusion which I view as keeping the business going. I paid a great deal of attention to the HostBill threads with the prices of the licenses spiking, telling me the business owner needed quick cash to keep going, and that is really what lifetime licenses are good for.

In determining whether or not the offering of a lifetime license is feasible, one would have to consider the number of sales per linear month over a projected time frame such as 5 years, the greater the density of sales per month over this time, or a pretense of a constant ratio would hint that such a thing would be an acceptable business model.

This means that when determining if this kind of license is an acceptable to the business, you have to study who needs your product, for how long and how many possible customers you could obtain. The hosting industry is quite large from a customers perspective, but if you were to sell products to hosting providers, you would quickly find yourself competing in a small market. This means itís difficult for companies such as cPanel/WHM, DirectAdmin, WHMCS, all companies aiming at hosting providers to make it if they were to focus on one time costs. You may have been able to pay for 4 licenses, but I assure you that if the majority of customers using DirectAdmin switched to lifetime licenses, it would be dropped and the terms changed rather quickly.

One thing Iíve been working on heavily is WordPress plugins and I mention them because they would be a perfect example of software products that would be a great choice for releasing on a lifetime type of license, because there are so many WordPress blogs out there, an almost unlimited number of customers in comparison to the hosting market and itís been one of my biggest regrets with focusing so much time on my other software projects. It's because there is a greater pool of customers, that more money can be generated in the long run through software released on a onetime license basis.

Lifetime licenses have their uses, for a company such as NGINX, where their customer base is probably larger site owners or hosting companies. They really are not going to be able to build a sustainable business model if they have chosen to head in the direction of the freemium model, if they are simply trying to gain a quick, one time revenue in the long run and I think they realize that and chose not to offer lifetime licenses because of it.

For me it is time to start supporting Apache fully and stick with them.
    Nginx is pretty much a full fledge company just like any other company now...it not a project any longer..it is now a company...keep using them at your own peril

http://nginx.com/news/nginx-inc-rais...eries-b-round/
    http://nginx.com/news/nginx-inc-name...ation-efforts/
    Last edited by nokia3310; 11-09-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    mission critical!

I don't see the problem too.
    It's not as though they have taken away features from it, not as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    I don't see the problem too.
    It's not as though they have taken away features from it, not as far as I can see.
    They have to take out features for you to logically understand what is at stake here? All they have to do is reserve great features only for the paid version...and slow development of the free one.

I mean there are many examples of this RHEL? MySQL? I mean common folks. They will give the best priority for their paid version and ofcourse they will never kill the free one because they know that is what gives them the boost to be mentioned...so they will always have that..if they take it away their business will die off in few weeks....exaggeration there but hopefully you get the point.
    mission critical!

I don't know about nginx, but I am afraid you are right about MySQL. I don't like Oracle and I can see them pulling that trick in the future.
    Hopefully MariaDB will come to the rescue if anything bad happens.

They have to take out features for you to logically understand what is at stake here? All they have to do is reserve great features only for the paid version...and slow development of the free one.

I mean there are many examples of this RHEL? MySQL? I mean common folks. They will give the best priority for their paid version and ofcourse they will never kill the free one because they know that is what gives them the boost to be mentioned...so they will always have that..if they take it away their business will die off in few weeks....exaggeration there but hopefully you get the point.
    You are missing a big part of it too. Why wouldn't large funding help the free version? Now they are able to hire more developers to help fix bugs, address security fixes, and add new options. They will still want their open source version to outperform the competition. It looks like their enterprise version is just geared towards corporations who need support and more cluster features.

If it weren't for Redhat making all that money on RHEL, CentOS would have a lot less features and the Linux kernel would have a lot less contributions because Redhat has made a lot of contributions to the linux kernel and open source projects.

Old article but still relevant: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10046449-16.html

Honestly, I think you're being unfair to nginx. I don't think it's wrong for Igor to try to monetize the product he's put so much time into. I imagine that was the idea all along ó a way for him to quit his day job and focus his attention on what he loves. Especially, I don't think it's wrong for them to charge recurring fees ó it's my understanding that most of what nginx Plus gets you is support.

I think also that businesses are not, by their fundamental nature, evil. There are certainly businesses that have done bad things and some open source projects have definitely been ruined once they were taken over. But without RHEL, I feel the hosting business would be far behind where it is (though maybe I'm stepping a little out of my depth here).

m
    Disclaimer: I work for LiteSpeed Technologies. Cut load. Add speed. Save money. LiteSpeed Web Server

We're hiring (New Jersey based) C/C++ developers!

WHAT I AGREE WITH:

What i do agree with is for fully open-source companies to offer support and get paid for support of the software. But they should have ALL versions have the SAME features. Example of a company like this is proxmox.com virtualization software and others. Hopefully they keep been like that and set example for others.
    this, more accurately, should be titled "what you prefer"

free enterprise nokia. I see no reason to release the work and investment we have made on top of an open source product, as open source because you think it should be this way. simple fact is, open source software is released under various licensing agreements, and as long as those agreements are followed, I am not sure what you are so upset about?

besides, there is a HUGE market for companies who take open source software, refine it, support it, customize it for specific use cases. Redhat is the most famous example, but, literally 100s of such examples. Why on earth would you want companies to not utilize open source software, released under licensing typically and specifically allowing, and even promoting such commercial activity - to take open source products and utilize it to solve problems for people and companies and make a profit off of it and turn it into a legitimate business.

That business then grows, hires people who then pay taxes, builds expertise and knowledge, commits resources, money, time, knowledge and insight back to the open source project and community

its how the world works nokia - and by the way, most open source projects (not all granted) - are specifically meant to operate in the manner in which you are complaining about.

I mean talk about kicking a gift horse in the mouth you want free software, you want everyone to put in their time, sweat and tears for free to give you a nice piece of software you can use - and dammit - you want every single possible feature for free as well - dont you dare tier out the features and enable advanced features for those who really like your software and want to pay you to continue developing it

anyway nokia, I actually do understand your frustration and where you are coming from. but, think of it this way. the free version is like a trial. use the software for free, heck, even forever. if you like it, and it solves problems for you and you need some advanced features, then and only then, invest in the commercial version and support the continued development and evolution of the project. Heck, I would wager you are saving a significant amount of money vs buying an equivalent enterprise software product

You should like Citrix then! They have made their commercial XenServer even more open source (finally releasing the full HA code) and now have zero limitations whether free and paid.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    I am not sure what you are so upset about?
    Probably and at the very least, that whoever isn't doing what the OP expects. It happens.

Just the title alone is a stretch, albeit that's (maybe) the OP's way to describe how he feels about this thing.

I think its time to move to http://nanoweb.si.kz/

Its open source and non-profit.

AND IT'S light, fast and robust.

I saw the article say had raised $10 billion before commercial launch. I doubt anyone could raise such money without a commercial agenda. Maybe we just missed this

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    anyway nokia, I actually do understand your frustration and where you are coming from. but, think of it this way. the free version is like a trial. use the software for free, heck, even forever. if you like it, and it solves problems for you and you need some advanced features, then and only then, invest in the commercial version and support the continued development and evolution of the project. Heck, I would wager you are saving a significant amount of money vs buying an equivalent enterprise software product
    Like i said before i am saying everything should be free. What i am saying is companies start out open source get support from the community and then they see how income can start coming and they go full blown commercial and start tiering out everything for maximum profit. Ofcourse they can't stand on their own leg because then they dare stop the open source version and go fully commercial and lets see how far they go.

Open source is dying? Yes it is. The foundation is loosing ground and very soon the word will be misused very heavily..it already is but it will get worse. That is what my title meant. That many and many are using open source to get known and then ditch the free version for the most basic features. Its like building a house and saying hey you can only flush the toilet once a day and if you want to flush 10 times then you pay this every week and if you want unlimited please contact us!
    Its so annoying. Yes i have a right to be annoyed and yes they have a right to be profit oriented but its all conversation here and that is why i brought this up so we can all discuss and see other people's point of view.

I was going to go fully with Apache and Nginx but now...lighttpd just got some recent updates..i am going apache and lighttpd. Nginx? Not so much any more. That is just me.
    mission critical!

Like i said before i am saying everything should be free.
    Whether or not everything "should" be free is up to each person, despite what others think.

Like i said before i am saying everything should be free. What i am saying is companies start out open source get support from the community and then they see how income can start coming and they go full blown commercial and start tiering out everything for maximum profit. Ofcourse they can't stand on their own leg because then they dare stop the open source version and go fully commercial and lets see how far they go.

Open source is dying? Yes it is. The foundation is loosing ground and very soon the word will be misused very heavily..it already is but it will get worse. That is what my title meant. That many and many are using open source to get known and then ditch the free version for the most basic features. Its like building a house and saying hey you can only flush the toilet once a day and if you want to flush 10 times then you pay this every week and if you want unlimited please contact us!
    Its so annoying. Yes i have a right to be annoyed and yes they have a right to be profit oriented but its all conversation here and that is why i brought this up so we can all discuss and see other people's point of view.

I was going to go fully with Apache and Nginx but now...lighttpd just got some recent updates..i am going apache and lighttpd. Nginx? Not so much any more. That is just me.
    Are you really going to change your reverse proxy/web server just because they introduced that premium thing?
    I would understand it if you noticed product's quality has been affected by it,
    otherwise than that it's just changing for the sake of changing IMO.
    Last edited by gingir; 11-10-2013 at 03:16 AM.

When code is open sourced, and released, it can't be revoked - you have that code on a license which allows you to use, modify and improve it.

There are many people who will take a product like this, fork the codebase and continue to develop it freely. I wouldn't get too worried about the enterprise side of things, companies like RedHat, SuSE and Canonical have done so much for the Linux community that it is hard to begrudge them the ability to make a revenue stream off the Corporate side.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Whether or not everything "should" be free is up to each person, despite what others think.
    MISTAKE i meant to put "NOT"

Like i said before i am NOT saying everything should be free
    mission critical!

It would be great if we talk about things from what Open Source mean,
    I think OpenSource =/= Free Software.
    Many things are OpenSource and most of the things can be seen as, since if you can pay you can get the Source code.
    So is the case with a normal OSS, OSS does not say it has to be free and free only.

In case of Nginx most of the paid stuff are either not required by a normal or small scale users or are related to advance monitoring or support.
    Also Nginx did not made any thing which was previously free and changed it to paid only (Though sometimes some companies does, but not all). Also additions can be made by coding new things or from addons.

We barely donate to such great OSS (90% + nor via money nor any other way).

Though the number may be very less but there are people who do not do any other job and contribute full time to such OpenSource, so they do need money and deserve a better life.

BTW, Proxmox AFAIK now shows 30 day trial period for their free app, though it can be removed with few lines of code.

Regards.
    Long Live OSS, free software, and supporters

Quote Originally Posted by MikeIn View Post

In case of Nginx most of the paid stuff are either not required by a normal or small scale users or are related to advance monitoring or support.
    Also Nginx did not made any thing which was previously free and changed it to paid only (Though sometimes some companies does, but not all). Also additions can be made by coding new things or from addons.
    this is exactly the point

so, what usually happens is theres this great open source product - and then some huge user comes along and says listen - we want to use your product, but, in order for us to use it, we need the following features, the following level of support and ongoing development. presto, the commercial branch is born. hard to be upset at anyone over this. the developers are starting to monetize on their work and users actually contributing to the funding of the project are driving the development. I have a hard time understanding how people are upset paid features which wouldnt even be available unless the above happened anyway

It's not always about maxing out their profits. Some things start out small and as they grow you have to either kill the project or find a way to fund further development etc. Nginx started out as an underdog side project but it's gained a lot of popularity over the last few years.

It's likely grown beyond what the original devs can handle on their own, that means hiring staff, that means having money to pay that staff. That means coming up with some way to still offer the free version but still generate income to pay the staff.

It happens to a lot of companies, you start out on some little side project you can code after work, then eventually it's more than you can handle. You have to make a choice then, find a way to fund future growth or let the project die because you don't have time for it anymore.

So it's not always about money, but about keeping the project alive without spending your life savings and getting nothing in return.

Open source projects often rely on user contributions to grow and evolve, but there is a point when you need more than what the volunteers can contribute and that's when you have to figure out a way to keep going. Nginx still has their same free version, they just added things to try and make it worthwhile for larger companies to purchase more advanced versions (although I think the pricing is a bit on the high side lol).
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com