Looking for "email client" but that works like Gmail, Yahoo..etc

Hello,

I run a business site and have my official email as [email protected], I download the emails using Outlook Express on my PC, but when I am on laptop I cannot check them because they are already downloaded to PC.

I don't like the email clients available on cPanel, they are just boring. Is there any email client that works like Gmail, I mean I can check my emails from anywhere, no matter I am on PC or laptop or even smartphone?

I know Mozilla Thunderbird but it is again like Outlook Express, the emails will be "downloaded" to the system, but from other device I cannot check mails.

I hope you understand my question.
    Professional Banner Design :: Complete Satisfaction & Fast Turnaround
    InspireFusion.com :: Art, Design & Inspiration Blog

Re: Looking for "email client" but that works like Gmail, Yahoo..etc

Check K9mail

How are they boring? That doesn't really explain much! You mean they lack a responsive web design?

From what you wrote it looks like you are looking for a responsive webmail.

Quote Originally Posted by jani View Post
    Hello,

I run a business site and have my official email as [email protected], I download the emails using Outlook Express on my PC, but when I am on laptop I cannot check them because they are already downloaded to PC.

I don't like the email clients available on cPanel, they are just boring. Is there any email client that works like Gmail, I mean I can check my emails from anywhere, no matter I am on PC or laptop or even smartphone?

I know Mozilla Thunderbird but it is again like Outlook Express, the emails will be "downloaded" to the system, but from other device I cannot check mails.

I hope you understand my question.
    If you're getting them via IMAP, they're downloaded to your pc/device, but a copy stays on the server. I have my work email on 3 devices, and each email shows up in all. IMAP, from my understanding, keeps everything connected, so if you delete a mail from one device, it gets deleted from all, but all the emails will be sent to every device's inbox.

So, maybe check if you're using POP3 to retrieve the emails...? It has to be something to do with the settings, cause I never had that issue, and I've never used pop3.

Squirrel mail is what I've always used and it's pretty great, but if you are going for a more modern look I hear Roundcube isn't that bad.

I believe it is possible to use GMail with your own domain, and just select remote mailbox in cPanel.
    Jordan - Director ~ DeguWeb Ltd
    Graphic Design / Logo Design / Website Design

DeguWeb Ltd is a company registered England and Wales (Company No. 10316368)

You can go for a web client like roundcube or SquirrelMail.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

Quote Originally Posted by alex0 View Post
    You can go for a web client like roundcube or SquirrelMail.
    He said he doesn't like the clients available on cPanel.
    Last time I checked these were Horde, RoundCube & SquirrelMail.

Quote Originally Posted by Washi View Post
    If you're getting them via IMAP, they're downloaded to your pc/device, but a copy stays on the server. I have my work email on 3 devices, and each email shows up in all. IMAP, from my understanding, keeps everything connected, so if you delete a mail from one device, it gets deleted from all, but all the emails will be sent to every device's inbox.

So, maybe check if you're using POP3 to retrieve the emails...? It has to be something to do with the settings, cause I never had that issue, and I've never used pop3.
    That is entirely correct, check your email setting and set them to go through IMAP, this way you would have a copy on both places and you can still use Outlook/Thunderbird if you find them convenient.

I wouldn't recommend the Gmail option, although you can integrate a non-gmail account to it, still it has a questionable security as Google scans all your emails to gain information about ad targeting.

As an alternative to the boring Roundcube/Squirrelmail/Horde, you can try the Afterlogic Webmail Pro, its a nice alternative, much better looking, has all the needed functionality (plus a few you probably won't ever need)
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Original Hosting View Post
    I believe it is possible to use GMail with your own domain, and just select remote mailbox in cPanel.
    It is possible. But it is no longer free for new users. It costs $5/user.
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Rado_Ch View Post
    That is entirely correct, check your email setting and set them to go through IMAP, this way you would have a copy on both places and you can still use Outlook/Thunderbird if you find them convenient.

I wouldn't recommend the Gmail option, although you can integrate a non-gmail account to it, still it has a questionable security as Google scans all your emails to gain information about ad targeting.

As an alternative to the boring Roundcube/Squirrelmail/Horde, you can try the Afterlogic Webmail Pro, its a nice alternative, much better looking, has all the needed functionality (plus a few you probably won't ever need)
    AfterLogic Webmail Pro is a paid application right?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Washi View Post

Yes, I use Pop3 settings to download emails and once the emails are downloaded they are deleted from server.

I think instead of looking for email clients I should just change the settings that emails should always be present on server so that I can access them from anywhere.

Hello,

If your hosting provider has Cpanel installed, you could use "http://mydomain.com/webmail", in order to connect with any of three available Webmail Clients preinstalled in cpanel. I would choose Roundcube in your case. It is very simple and smooth at the same time and it looks like "Outlook" or even "Thunderbird".

Quote Originally Posted by AcidMind View Post
    Hello,

If your hosting provider has Cpanel installed, you could use "http://mydomain.com/webmail", in order to connect with any of three available Webmail Clients preinstalled in cpanel. I would choose Roundcube in your case. It is very simple and smooth at the same time and it looks like "Outlook" or even "Thunderbird".
    He said he doesn't like the clients available on cPanel.

Hmm, you are right. I should read better next time . In that case a good suggestion is the one comming from Rado_Ch above. There aren't a lot of alternatives left

Actually I use Gmail to download and send mail from my own domain without paying anything. There are a few ways to do this, but in your case, this is what I would do.

* Go into Gmail > Settings > Accounts > Add a POP3 account. Configure this with your settings as you have in Outlook to download all your mail into Gmail.
    * Go into Gmail > Settings > Accounts > "Add another email address you own" and make sure you tick "Treat as an alias" > Click next and choose "Send through <your smtp server> SMTP server > click next and setup your SMTP details.
    * Go into Gmail > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Enable IMAP.

You can now re-configure your Outlook to use IMAP to connect to Gmail to check your mail. You can then use it on your phone too, or you can use Gmail's web interface from anywhere and get rid of Outlook altogether.

This is just one way of using Gmail's interface and it's the way I do it. There are ofcourse other ways such as just enabling IMAP in cPanel and setting up your phone and outlook to use IMAP. But then you don't have a web interface.

As a side note, after using Gmail for several years, I haven't found any other web interface that has tagging, and as many free features as Gmail does. So although some things are annoying, and the interface isn't the prettiest, you get a lot of features.

As for the privacy concerns, there a lot of people who bring this up without knowing all the facts. It's not like Google has people sitting there reading each and every one of your emails. They use computers and algorithms and programs. And they don't give advertisers access to your emails. They pick out keywords and match them to the ads. Your privacy is not "invaded". And if people are so worried about privacy, they should not be using shared hosting, unencrypted emails and should not be using spam filtering (which "reads" every single one of your emails to check the content for spam and phishing). In fact, anyone that concerned about their emails should not be using the internet really. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by krash_control View Post
    Actually I use Gmail to download and send mail from my own domain without paying anything. There are a few ways to do this, but in your case, this is what I would do.

* Go into Gmail > Settings > Accounts > Add a POP3 account. Configure this with your settings as you have in Outlook to download all your mail into Gmail.
    * Go into Gmail > Settings > Accounts > "Add another email address you own" and make sure you tick "Treat as an alias" > Click next and choose "Send through <your smtp server> SMTP server > click next and setup your SMTP details.
    * Go into Gmail > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Enable IMAP.

You can now re-configure your Outlook to use IMAP to connect to Gmail to check your mail. You can then use it on your phone too, or you can use Gmail's web interface from anywhere and get rid of Outlook altogether.

This is just one way of using Gmail's interface and it's the way I do it. There are ofcourse other ways such as just enabling IMAP in cPanel and setting up your phone and outlook to use IMAP. But then you don't have a web interface.

As a side note, after using Gmail for several years, I haven't found any other web interface that has tagging, and as many free features as Gmail does. So although some things are annoying, and the interface isn't the prettiest, you get a lot of features.

As for the privacy concerns, there a lot of people who bring this up without knowing all the facts. It's not like Google has people sitting there reading each and every one of your emails. They use computers and algorithms and programs. And they don't give advertisers access to your emails. They pick out keywords and match them to the ads. Your privacy is not "invaded". And if people are so worried about privacy, they should not be using shared hosting, unencrypted emails and should not be using spam filtering (which "reads" every single one of your emails to check the content for spam and phishing). In fact, anyone that concerned about their emails should not be using the internet really. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the tips on Gmail settings, I will definitely try it because I like Gmail interface and everything

Regarding privacy concerns, yes I agree with you on that. Privacy is no big issue for me.

Actually last night my computer died and I had very important emails from clients (downloaded on PC) that's why I asked if there is any webmail client which I should use in future so that I should not miss emails again.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    AfterLogic Webmail Pro is a paid application right?
    That is correct, it can be purchased either per user, or per server.
    www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
    Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.

You can check out email tray. They have an android version too
    Jump systems
    Superior UK hosting
    jumpsystems.co.ke

i've tried them all, roundcube, squirrel, horde, afterlogic, atmail etc. i didn't like any of them due to their limitations. then i discovered zimbra. it had more features than the others.

if people search for zimbra they'll probably just find the desktop client, but in fact there is a webmail part too. good thing about zimbra desktop and webmail is they automatically sync with each other, or you can use one or the other. you are not forced to use both if you don't want to. theres a company that gives out free zimbra accounts to test out if you want. i'm not sure i can say the company but just search for mrmail.