Almost 6 year review of Downtownhost

Hi,

I've logged in for the first time today for a long time, and I decided that since I was here, I'd write a review about my time with Downtownhost.

Hold on to your hats, this is going to be long. Really long.

I actually remember writing a review for my third year with them, but can't find it, but I do have memory problems, so maybe I'm wrong.

Anyways, I got with DTH late 2007/early 2008. I literally can't remember where I was hosted before.

During the years, there has been some downtime, like any other host out there, but it's been really mostly great for me. I can only remember maybe one or two incidents where the site was down for more than a day, but that was a one-time/two-time thing in 6 years. And, I kept in touch with their twitter/emails while it was going on, so I knew where we stood. I pretty much know all the support guys by now, they always answered any stupid questions I had without any issue, and I always got prompt replies. I still, to this day, recommend them to my friends. I'm still hosted there, some of my clients are too, and my business site, when it's up and running, will also be hosted there.

That's for the regular managed hosting.

About a year ago, I got a client who had their own hosting from their old dev company (who knew nothing about design or anything really), and they had a lot of issues on their server starting pretty much the week I put my version of the site online. The host in question, who's a local host, said that all the issues were because of the site, and, we tried, with a lot of reluctance on their part - probably because I 'stole' their client, working together to find the issues, optimizing the code etc. I had asked if there were any issues on webalizer or awstats, and they assured me that all looked fine, and it was my fault for the site coding. One day, last February, while my client was abroad on business, they just decided to shut down the account, and told me they didn't want the business anymore, and they had had it, all that sprinkled with some pretty colorful words.

Now, this was a news site. Being offline is not something that can happen. So I got in touch with Jorge, explained the situation, and explicitly told him that it would be a one month-deal for a vps.

He agreed, and they even did the migration for me. We switched the dns over, and the VPS went down.

Now, I was paying for this out of my own pocket, since the client was away, and didn't have the funds, but Jorge upgraded me to their biggest VPS anyways, free of charge. Which kept crashing.

We started working together, trying to figure out where the issue was coming from, using different methods of caching, cdn etc.

Finally, we pin-pointed it. I thought the site was getting about 5k hits a day, which is pretty low for a news site. When we went into webalizer/logs, we found out that there was an iphone app that was basically reloading the site constantly, and instead of the 5k we thought we were getting, it was more than 80k uniques. Now, this isn't a light site, this is pretty heavy site (client doesn't believe in streamlining, go figure).
    We blocked the app, I contacted the app-maker, giving him an earful, and things went pretty much smoothly for the rest of the month, with the occasional bump on HUGE news days.

During the time of the issues, I pretty much contacted the support guys multiple times a day, I bothered them a lot, but they were helpful and friendly, and would restart the server for me when I couldn't reach it. I literally got on a first name basis with them all, and I could imagine the sighs they'd utter when they saw my name, but they always helped.

They added a ton of features to the vps so that it would run more smoothly.

And this was with knowing that the vps would only be used for one month, and that the end client would not be able to get an account with them because of our weird country policies (no international CCs, no paypal etc). I had told them this the first day.

In the meantime, I looked for local hosts who had big/bigger VPS-es (we were expanding, and I did not want to have to deal with a server myself, since the client is a novice and refuses to get a server admin), found one, and moved the site after the month was over.

During that one month, I saw how great DTH was. This wasn't a big account. I wasn't even paying the full price for the hosting (found a coupon here, and they upgraded me for free when things got hectic). And I kept badgering the support, but they were really great. They could have told me I was eating up too much resources and politely asked me to leave, which I would have found a way of doing, because I felt like a burden at times, but they kept helping me.

I read some negative things about them on the forums, but unless something catastrophic happens, I'll stay with them.

That's a thorough and detailed review, that I'm sure DTH will be most pleased to see. It's detailed anecdotes like that, though, that will help prospective clients to get the picture. Thanks - I enjoyed reading that.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    That's a thorough and detailed review, that I'm sure DTH will be most pleased to see. It's detailed anecdotes like that, though, that will help prospective clients to get the picture. Thanks - I enjoyed reading that.
    I'm glad you did James. It's really things like that that make me not want to leave them.

I PM-ed a mod to give out links for the review to be complete, but it's been a while, and might now have PM-ed the right mod. Any idea on who I should PM for that?

You click the report button at the top-right of your original post (which links to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=8906569) and put the details in there. It opens a ticket in the WHT helpdesk, from where the first available mod will spot it and put flag the review as legit.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    You click the report button at the top-right of your original post (which links to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=8906569) and put the details in there. It opens a ticket in the WHT helpdesk, from where the first available mod will spot it and put flag the review as legit.
    Thanks James! Sent that in.

That's a nice detailed review. Good to hear you've been pleased with them for 6 years. Hope you have many more great years with them.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

Quote Originally Posted by Washi View Post
    Thanks James! Sent that in.
    Confirmed thanks!
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

wow you must really like them if you could find the time to write such a lengthy review. Well done DTH.

It's nice to see big reviews with a lot of context -- it's really helpful to others. Good job DTH!

Thanks anon-e-mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    wow you must really like them if you could find the time to write such a lengthy review. Well done DTH.
    Well, I'm pretty easy to please, but during that one time with the vps, I really got to see how much they went above and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    It's nice to see big reviews with a lot of context -- it's really helpful to others. Good job DTH!
    I feel that reviews with people going crazy on one incident alone aren't always the most reliable. It's either a major fault on the host, which, hey, it can happen, or the client is completely clueless as to how a server works etc. I'm a web developer, so I pretty much know how things work, but not a system admin, so, for the vps, I asked a lot of questions, and tried to understand why the VPS was going down, instead of just being a brat about it. And, they kept explaining things, so I learned a lot. Hence the long positive review.

I'm very sorry for the late answer, I just found this thread searching for something else thank you very very much for your kind words and we expect to have you with us at least another 6 years.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I like Jedito and his passion for webhosting. Good to see you are happy with them.
    sorry, This user doesn't have a signature