Exclamation Cheap Dedicated for Testing

Hello,

I am looking for cheap dedicated for learning/testing purposes.
    I have came across some providers like Hetzner and VersaWeb.

I would really appreciate your opinion regarding both and recommendations if any.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by mzaza View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for cheap dedicated for learning/testing purposes.
    I have came across some providers like Hetzner and VersaWeb.

I would really appreciate your opinion regarding both and recommendations if any.
    I cannot comment on either of the vendors you have listed, but have you considered a VPS/Cloud instance in place of a dedicated server?

You can easily issue OS reloads etc and if its only for testing I doubt you would need a dedicated server for that.

you should be able to pull up plenty of reviews on those 2, I just saw some recently

such as:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=versaweb
    :::Psychz Networks:::
    24/7 On-Site Support - Multi-Homed Network -
    ★Los Angeles, CA Premium Network & Dedicated Servers
    ★DDoS Protection Included with every server

Quote Originally Posted by leckley View Post
    I cannot comment on either of the vendors you have listed, but have you considered a VPS/Cloud instance in place of a dedicated server?

You can easily issue OS reloads etc and if its only for testing I doubt you would need a dedicated server for that.
    My tests will need CloudLinux, which can't be installed on VPS and it may also involves creating Hybrid servers.

What would you like to learn and test? People usually start learning on a VPS, before they move to a dedicated server.

EDIT: Just noticed your previous post. Before a few years I used LeaseWeb dedicated server for testing some of my projects. Did you maybe consider them?
    Last edited by ReliableCore; 11-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    ReliableCore.com | sales[@]reliablecore.com
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | VPS Reseller Program
    24x7 Technical Support | Awesome Uptime | Multiple Locations

My tests will need CloudLinux, which can't be installed on VPS and it may also involves creating Hybrid servers.
    CloudLinx can be installed on a VPS/Cloud server without any issues at all. We use it on our KVM & Citrix Xenserver platforms all the time.

You need a vps that can compile a kernel on its own like xen, kvm, vmware, etc...
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

OVH and Hetzner have really cheap deals.
    Leaseweb is currently running a promotion so you can actually get a server for ~ 50 Bucks.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

You can look at DelimiterVPS's atom 230 server $30 quarterly. Or you can look at wholesaleinternet or volumedrive. They all have cheap dedi. Not sure if they fit your needs.

Start with dedicated server? maybe you can try to start with any cheap VPS.
    Andrius Petkus, Chief commercial officer @ Bacloud.com data centers.
    Build your cheap dedicated server, Affordable high power Windows SSD VPS
    Payment methods: Bitcoins, Credit cards, PayPal, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Safety Pay, Cashu, Bank transfer.

I was looking even for more than just testing CloudLinux, I was looking to create Hybrid servers.

I have came by two offers one from Leaseweb, which I think it's reputable
    Intel Xeon X3050
    1GB RAM DDR2
    160GB SATA2
    35 Euros

And a Hetzner which offers according to benchmarks slightly faster processor and more RAM and more Diskspace
    AMD Athlon 64 5600+ X2
    4GB RAM DDR2
    2 x 500 GB SATA
    29 Euros
    Last edited by mzaza; 11-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.

you can get a server for 20 euros/month with no installation fee, on oneprovider.
    oneprovider.com /dedicated-servers/paris-france
    ovh cheap server line (kimsufi) are all sold out

It's common that people would complain as much as they can when it comes to bad experiences they faced and they don't usually compliment or too lazy to compliment when it comes to good experiences.

If situation A happens, some take it easily but some not. Those that can't take it will spread and magnify the "news" as much as they can. I think this is human nature.

So far VolumeDrive served me well although lack of friendliness (but considering I only get the cheapest dedicated server so it's fine for me). They responded to my tickets in a timely manner and my server was delivered in a promised timeframe too. So no problem for me and sorry to those who face issues with VD.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyuan View Post
    If situation A happens, some take it easily but some not. Those that can't take it will spread and magnify the "news" as much as they can. I think this is human nature.
    If its human nature, then same is true for all providers. Most other providers have less complaints and many have positive reviews (in my experience). I've never seen anyone get as many complains as VD.

YMMV