Is USA competing with India?

Starting pay varies by skill set and experience. A Technical Support Representative with over a year of experience can expect to start out making $13.00 - $17.00 per hour plus performance bonuses.
    I was gobsmacked to learn the wage offer being so low - is this a common job wage offer in the USA for a tech role no matter its entry position.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

Probably will depend on the company you are applying to.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Techs are a dime a dozen these days so starting wages are low because there is no shortage.
    █ █ █

Varies is the key word. A "real" systems or network engineer will laugh at that. Typically, you see that stuff on Craigslist and what not.

Most of the techs that are a "dime a dozen" unfortunately, are jack of all trades, master of none. Surely, competent engineers, storage administrators, security professionals etc are not a dime a dozen.
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    Most of the techs that are a "dime a dozen" unfortunately, are jack of all trades, master of none. Surely, competent engineers, storage administrators, security professionals etc are not a dime a dozen.
    No they specialize in something. My impression from the OP is just a general tech.
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by respite View Post
    I was gobsmacked to learn the wage offer being so low - is this a common job wage offer in the USA for a tech role no matter its entry position.
    There are certain firms in India who employ system admins and network administrators in data centers for 0.8$ per hour. They are paid 10,000 INR per month which amounts 0.8$ per hour. No bills in the Indian parliament regarding minimum wage allows for that to be accomplished.

An L1 tech making $13-17 is better than other starter jobs (retail).
    40 hours x 52 weeks = $31k per year.

What company was that?
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Re: Is USA competing with India?

Whats hourly price for a starter in us?
    The coder.

$10/hour max in retail.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    An L1 tech making $13-17 is better than other starter jobs (retail).
    40 hours x 52 weeks = $31k per year.

What company was that?
    That company was JaguarPC I believe it was in office or remote.

In order to understand the wage gap, you have to look at the requirements. These aren't System Engineers and this isn't corporate America where you can get paid $100k a year for barely knowing how to turn on a computer.

In a few months, you can successfully train someone in a cPanel hosting environment. System Admins do make more and so do System Engineers.

Data centers typically pay more than straight hosting companies. That is solely for the fact they require less coverage due to less tickets. Even in that case you are in the $25 to $30/hour range.

The bigger issue that you have hiring techs isn't pay at $15/hour, it is finding techs who are pleasant who love customers.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary McClung View Post
    In order to understand the wage gap, you have to look at the requirements. These aren't System Engineers and this isn't corporate America where you can get paid $100k a year for barely knowing how to turn on a computer.

In a few months, you can successfully train someone in a cPanel hosting environment. System Admins do make more and so do System Engineers.

Data centers typically pay more than straight hosting companies. That is solely for the fact they require less coverage due to less tickets. Even in that case you are in the $25 to $30/hour range.

The bigger issue that you have hiring techs isn't pay at $15/hour, it is finding techs who are pleasant who love customers.
    I guess my curiosity stemmed from a different economy $16.37/hr is min wage here which was probably idiotic considering the economic differences in saying that I seen entry level tech jobs in AU which were upwards of $26/hour.

The Title was deceiving to attract attention because a lot of companies and small business tend to avoid the wage discussion And I tried to avoid using JP in the topic because I knew your keyword alert would go off

Quote Originally Posted by respite View Post
    I guess my curiosity stemmed from a different economy $16.37/hr is min wage here which was probably idiotic considering the economic differences in saying that I seen entry level tech jobs in AU which were upwards of $26/hour.

The Title was deceiving to attract attention because a lot of companies and small business tend to avoid the wage discussion And I tried to avoid using JP in the topic because I knew your keyword alert would go off
    I'm glad that my keyword alert did go off. These are the conversations that should happen and personally I like having, being in this industry so long. Some high school or college kid is going to come across this thread doing research for their business plan to be the next JaguarPC. They'll be able to learn from it. Then we will buy them with a properly setup staff and pay scale.

Sometimes things I say here might come off defensive and sometimes they are.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

Are we taking currency differences into account here? $13.00-$17.00 an hour is actually very high compared to other companies that I've seen.
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ Running your web hosting business has never been easier - Hostistic.com
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ More Details coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by EliteTurtle View Post
    Are we taking currency differences into account here? $13.00-$17.00 an hour is actually very high compared to other companies that I've seen.
    1.00 USD = 1.06598 AUD @ the time of this reply. I have had friends from the US visit here and it has been said we pay higher. However price of living is also much higher in Australia from what I understand.

Then again, how much do you pay for a large Quarter Pounder meal in the US?