1. #1 SSL Certs - Alternatives?

I'm upgrading a web site for a small non-profit and they want to keep it hosted on, whom they've used for 10 years now. Ok, no problem, they offer 90% of what I need to make the site.

So now I'm adding in the ability to do logins, and the site is not SSL-secured. For my testing, the logins are being sent in plaintext. I haven't gone live yet, though. My greatest fear is that one of the admins logs in over wifi at a starbucks and someone is sniffing the packets and gets their login info. So... SSL is a necessity.

However, I see that is offering SSL certs *STARTING* at $150/yr, and they are barebones. The organization is not going to be happy at that price. So I was wondering how realistic it is to be able to buy an SSL cert from another vendor and apply it to the site? I see StartSSL offers "free" certs, though I have to wonder what the catch is. And RapidSSL is $50, much more reasonable.

Does anyone know if it is A) possible to get a 3rd party SSL cert, and B) can you recommend a good place to get a cheap certificate? I don't need a wildcard cert, by the way, we won't use subdomains for anything that needs to be secure.

Thanks in advance!

A. I suppose they will let you install your SSL certificate
    B. Try ... very cheap certs..
    PlotHost - Cheap Web Hosting Plans since 2008
    24/7 Support | 99.9% Uptime | 15 Days Money Back
    Shared & Reseller Plans - Check our hosting OFFER !

Middletown, USA
    you can check prices also,or - Managed and Unmanaged Virtual & Dedicated Server|XenServer Windows & Linux VPS
    - New York City|Miami|Singapore|Hong Kong|UK|Netherlands|Germany|France|Canada​|Lithuania|Dallas
    - VPS and Dedicated Servers in 11 Global location 100% Pure SSD Reseller & Shared Host
    cPanel NOC| Microsoft SPLA| PayPal, Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Payza, WebMoney, PerfectMoney Accepted!

Thanks for the suggestions! I went ahead and bought a 48-month "RapidSSL Standard" certificate from, and I clicked on "Generate", and it's asking me for a CSR before they can give me the certificate. This is running on IIS by the way, so apparently I need to go through my host to get it.

So I asked for a CSR... and they say there's a $75 fee for generating it. Ugh. I feel like they're ripping me off here. Anyway, I guess a followup question would be:

How often will I need to request a CSR from my host? Since I bought a 48 month SSL cert, does this mean I won't need another CSR for another 4 years? Or will I need to renew it each year? Or is it a one-time thing that I'll never need to perform again?

Sorry if these are noob questions; I've never really dealt with production details before; I'm used to building sites and handing them off to my company's deployment division and they take care of these details for me; this is my first solo project. Thanks again!

You are correct - If you are buying a 48 Mth Cert, you only need the CSR to get the cert.

You basically just hit the limitations on your hosting - The cost of add-on's kill you!

To generate a CSR, it literally takes a few minutes, But as this is a custom request, they hit you up for a high price...
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Just for future reference is actually free for a basic SSL certificate, only problem I have had so far is that it ain't valid on Windows Phone 7.1 (Should be on 8+ and up)