Post Need Quick Hosting Help/Advice

I posted this in another thread but I guess this would be better as a separate thread, so posting here. Mods, please delete the other post in the "Does hostgator really eat up the competition?" thread.

I had to move from my old webhost which was HalfDollarHosting.com, as they weren't able to solve my problems, which were mostly due to their cache server (been like a month I wasted my time). Yes, I'm on a tight budget for a little while.

I asked a few friends and two of them told me Host Gator was good at tech support, so I moved to hostgator.com. But there's an Indian arm of Host Gator - hostgator.in. They are giving the Baby Hosting plan in 50% less using a coupon code due to festival time here in India.

I had previously tried a few Indian hosts but even with good uptimes, they have BAD/knowledgeless tech support staff (sad to say this as it's my own country). I've had very bad experiences with the tech support of a few well-known Indian web hosts.

I searched Google for reviews about HostGator India and their tech support, but couldn't find any such review. I got a lot of reviews of Hostgator.com VS Hostgator.in instead.

Now, I have got the almost free trial account with hostgator.com using the 1cent coupon for a month. But, I'm still somewhat confused whether I should get the Baby plan from HostGator India, as it comes to almost similar cost as hostgator.com (about 6 USD more) due to the 50% cost decrease. Otherwise, hostgator.com is cheaper than hostgator.in.

Does any of you have experience with their tech support? How is HostGator India's tech support? Would it be a good idea for me to get the Baby plan at HostGator India for an year at 50% off?

My hosting requirements are for about 3 blogs (plus or minus one). About 4-5 GB disk space and 10 GB bandwidth should be enough for at least 6 months or so.

I also read that ipage.com is giving away shared so called unlimited hosting for 1 USD per month till about 24 or so hours. So, was getting inclined to go with them but have read many bad reviews about them. Actually I've read bad reviews about HG, bluehost, dreamhost - all of them too. That's why I consulted some friends and they recommended HostGator.

Another option I was thinking was dreamhost, with an 80% off coupon, making it something like 22 USD for the first year. But they don't use cpanel and I'm afraid to use anything other than cpanel, as I'm used to cpanel. Also don't know how reliable dreamhost is at present.

Sorry for the long story-like post but I'd surely like suggestions from more experienced users.

Thanks for reading and trying to help. Any help appreciated.
    Raspal
    Last edited by Mike V; 11-06-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Font size

Quote Originally Posted by raspal View Post
    I posted this in another thread but I guess this would be better as a separate thread, so posting here. Mods, please delete the other post in the "Does hostgator really eat up the competition?" thread.

I had to move from my old webhost which was HalfDollarHosting.com, as they weren't able to solve my problems, which were mostly due to their cache server (been like a month I wasted my time). Yes, I'm on a tight budget for a little while.

I asked a few friends and two of them told me Host Gator was good at tech support, so I moved to hostgator.com. But there's an Indian arm of Host Gator - hostgator.in. They are giving the Baby Hosting plan in 50% less using a coupon code due to festival time here in India.

I had previously tried a few Indian hosts but even with good uptimes, they have BAD/knowledgeless tech support staff (sad to say this as it's my own country). I've had very bad experiences with the tech support of a few well-known Indian web hosts.

I searched Google for reviews about HostGator India and their tech support, but couldn't find any such review. I got a lot of reviews of Hostgator.com VS Hostgator.in instead.

Now, I have got the almost free trial account with hostgator.com using the 1cent coupon for a month. But, I'm still somewhat confused whether I should get the Baby plan from HostGator India, as it comes to almost similar cost as hostgator.com (about 6 USD more) due to the 50% cost decrease. Otherwise, hostgator.com is cheaper than hostgator.in.

Does any of you have experience with their tech support? How is HostGator India's tech support? Would it be a good idea for me to get the Baby plan at HostGator India for an year at 50% off?

My hosting requirements are for about 3 blogs (plus or minus one). About 4-5 GB disk space and 10 GB bandwidth should be enough for at least 6 months or so.

I also read that ipage.com is giving away shared so called unlimited hosting for 1 USD per month till about 24 or so hours. So, was getting inclined to go with them but have read many bad reviews about them. Actually I've read bad reviews about HG, bluehost, dreamhost - all of them too. That's why I consulted some friends and they recommended HostGator.

Another option I was thinking was dreamhost, with an 80% off coupon, making it something like 22 USD for the first year. But they don't use cpanel and I'm afraid to use anything other than cpanel, as I'm used to cpanel. Also don't know how reliable dreamhost is at present.

Sorry for the long story-like post but I'd surely like suggestions from more experienced users.

Thanks for reading and trying to help. Any help appreciated.
    Raspal
    HostGator used to be good but has gone downhill ever since the EIG buyout. I'd recommend that you read some of the more recent reviews. There aren't as many good reviews as there used to be.

HostGator was acquired by EIG recently, so you may want to take that into consideration. That being said, it is always a good practice to go with a shorter billing term and only switch to a longer billing term after you are comfortable with a host.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | R1Soft CDP | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Lansing, Orlando, Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, London, New Delhi and Hong Kong

They are of plenty of other popular providers in the web hosting offers forum who can offer much more personal support etc and so I recommend you check that forum, short list some providers, and then check reviews on them as well as ask for some feedback here on the providers you are interested in.

I believe rather than the cost(I understand it's a vital factor to you for now), look out for better support. What was the problem which you were facing? I think your requirements are normal enough, and a budget of $4-$6/month is sufficient enough.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

Hostgator used to be good and then as everyone said, went bad after EIG takeover. However my experience is, the major issue they had was during their transition from thePlanet datacenter to that of Bluehost and things seems to have settled now.

I had some bad experience with Hostagtor India as an affiliate. They don't see to be the same level as their American counter parts. There seems to be no system in place. However, considering the hosting environment in India, they should be one of the better options.

My recommendation is, if you are interested in Indian datacenter, try Hostgator.in Local IP makes a big difference in SEO for local version of Google and sites will be faster for Indian users as well. However, if your visitors are mostly from abroad, try Hostgator.com . I wouldn't really worry too much about the cost, it anyway cost less than $10, which is nothing if you have some traffic to monitize.
    In any case, try with a monthly billing and see how it goes before committing for a long duration.
    Hosting Coupons: MediaTemple Recurring Discount, HostNine Offers and more..

I would recommend you to have a look at shared hosting ad's

goto google.in and type hosting . I hope you'll get a good surf result

Make a list of host's which you feel like signing up . Come back here and search for their reviews

Isn't that easy ?

If you're looking for other options maybe hostdime.in is worth a look, HostDime is noted for having good support (although I've never used HG or HD so I can't compare the two).
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    They are of plenty of other popular providers in the web hosting offers forum who can offer much more personal support etc and so I recommend you check that forum, short list some providers, and then check reviews on them as well as ask for some feedback here on the providers you are interested in.
    Thanks HostXNow! I was thinking of iPage.com and see their ads popup on every other website I go to thru Google. Google ads I know. But I wonder how they can afford 1 USD per month and offer unlimited everything.

Does anyone have any experience with iPage.com?

Quote Originally Posted by HostWithLove_Cody View Post
    HostGator was acquired by EIG recently, so you may want to take that into consideration. That being said, it is always a good practice to go with a shorter billing term and only switch to a longer billing term after you are comfortable with a host.
    Good advice and option! Right now I'm on the 1cent free trial so nothing to lose other than time to move to other webhost and the nameserver propagation after one month if I don't like.

My account was suspended without informing me. I moved to HG just yesterday! Tech support seemed to be helpful, but one told me he had updated the ticket with my info and another told me there was no such updation on record. Wasted my time. The site is up now.

Another problem I started having is about SSH shell access. I enabled it, it got disabled. I contacted tech support. They enabled it and I logged in a few times. Then it got disabled. I contacted support. They enabled it again. I logged in for a long hour or so. Tried again after another hour and it was disabled. Happened thrice. Seems HostGator has really strange creatures now, trying to help!

Quote Originally Posted by alex0 View Post
    I believe rather than the cost(I understand it's a vital factor to you for now), look out for better support. What was the problem which you were facing? I think your requirements are normal enough, and a budget of $4-$6/month is sufficient enough.
    Alex - I fully agree with you that cost is not a vital factor really. It is at this time though, as you understand. Better support is what I'm looking for.

Yes, 4-6 USD should be fine after a while. I may go with monthly payment for the time being.

The long one month problem was with the webhost using Varnish (probably ill-configured) which was causing problems with my WordPress blogs. Whatever they tried, didn't help. They finally lied to me that they had removed it, but they hadn't. Also, I wasn't able to change permissions on my .htaccess, nor delete or over-write it. They did something and told me that I had some bad lines in .htaccess causing this.

After this I was able to change permissions and also over-write/modify .htaccess. I understood they were fooling me because if I'm unable to change/modify a file and they're able to do it, something is surely wrong on their end.

I've also been frustrated with some webhosts' tech support just replying to tickets and asking "Can you please give us the exact steps to duplicate the problem at our end?" And I reply with the "steps" only to get the same answer yet again. As if some bot is replying me. LoL. But this happened thrice with one Indian webhsot called HostCats - very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by alemcherry View Post
    Hostgator used to be good and then as everyone said, went bad after EIG takeover. However my experience is, the major issue they had was during their transition from thePlanet datacenter to that of Bluehost and things seems to have settled now.

I had some bad experience with Hostagtor India as an affiliate. They don't see to be the same level as their American counter parts. There seems to be no system in place. However, considering the hosting environment in India, they should be one of the better options.

My recommendation is, if you are interested in Indian datacenter, try Hostgator.in Local IP makes a big difference in SEO for local version of Google and sites will be faster for Indian users as well. However, if your visitors are mostly from abroad, try Hostgator.com . I wouldn't really worry too much about the cost, it anyway cost less than $10, which is nothing if you have some traffic to monitize.
    In any case, try with a monthly billing and see how it goes before committing for a long duration.
    I just had a chat with Hostgator India sales and he did two mistakes in the chat even. If sales reps are such, how would the tech support be? I can understand.

Yes, the servers being in India could be a plus, but for now I don't need Indian servers as my blogs don't serve India only. You're right about the monetization traffic.

Thanks for your comment. Just wanted to know experiences with the Indian arm of HostGator.

Quote Originally Posted by * *Ramu * * View Post

Make a list of host's which you feel like signing up . Come back here and search for their reviews

Isn't that easy ?
    Ramu - I don't think it's that easy. I used this method in the past and went with three Indian web hosts, one after the other - FastWebHost, Manas Hostin, HostCats. Bad experiences with each.

Thanks a lot to everyone for replying and helping.

Raspal
    Last edited by Mike V; 11-06-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Font size

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    If you're looking for other options maybe hostdime.in is worth a look, HostDime is noted for having good support (although I've never used HG or HD so I can't compare the two).
    Thanks, will check them out. Had heard about HD but never checked them before.

Quote Originally Posted by raspal View Post
    Thanks, will check them out. Had heard about HD but never checked them before.
    Thanks for the consideration, raspal! I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Have a great day
    | Marcos Font | HostDime | Premier Global Data Centers
    | www.hostdime.com/global | Global Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Provider Since 2001
    | Managed Dedicated Servers | Global Colocation Facilities | Managed VPS | Managed Cloud Clusters
    | Data Centers in USA | Mexico | Brazil | UK | India | Netherlands
    | Hong Kong

iPage is the same host as Hostgator -- EIG.

EIG has about 55+ "brands" that they hide behind, hoping you'll "switch" to another one of their fake "top 10" hosts when you find them crappy. Don't fall for that.

And please don't shout in posts.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

before going considering hostgator you should check wht section theres a lot of good budget shared hosting you may find

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    iPage is the same host as Hostgator -- EIG.

EIG has about 55+ "brands" that they hide behind, hoping you'll "switch" to another one of their fake "top 10" hosts when you find them crappy. Don't fall for that.

And please don't shout in posts.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for not letting me fall into the trap. But I chatted with an iPage support rep. One thing - they have the call center for support in India so support won't be good. Secondly, the rep told me that there's no cpanel provided with the 1 USD per month hosting. It's only with VPS or dedicated. At least he told the truth, but this isn't told on the feature list on iPage.com. As soon as I heard this, I backed off.

I'll check the other sections of WHT. Am still new to these forums, so don't know what is where yet.

Sorry, I increased the font size earlier so that such a long post would be easier to read. It's easier for me to read the font size 4. Didn't want to shout.

I don't know how many of you are aware but some part of Hostgator.com technical support is based in India.
    So you are basically getting the same level of support.
    www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Quote Originally Posted by * *Ramu * * View Post
    Bad idea,
    Not to mention all the fake hosting reviews websites.
    Better go straight to dedicated communities such as WHT.

Still away from The bad host around the world dollar2host.com
    ever ever ever

I see Hawk Host and Level Hosting at the top of the shared hostign offers forum here on WHT. There are two more, but I thought I could go with these.

Please share your experience, someone, with these. It might be better to go with Hawk Host because they also give shell access with all their plans, and that would be a plus for me.