* Is amazon AWS necessary?

Hi all,

My website hosts my personal mp3 lectures that are being streamed to my visitors.
    Currently I have about 550GB of bandwidth use every month, and I'm using Amazon AWS for that.
    It's getting really expensive.
    Are there any better solutions? Should I get a VPS?

The only purpose is to stream mp3 files.
    Also, I must be able to hotlink to the file and stream it using my own players (not branded music players).

Thanks so much!

any of the reputable hosts here in wht have plans that can handle something like that. what are you using for a web site WordPress???
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

What is expensive to you? How much you are paying with Amazon anyway?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Yeap. A VPS is just fine. Amazon EC2 is really expensive.
    Also remember that the support / quality is more important than paying few dollars less.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    What is expensive to you? How much you are paying with Amazon anyway?
    He should be paying almost $66 just for bandwidth. Not including server cost.
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

@Ray-Base10, thanks for your response, Yes wordpress, do you have any recommendations for the setup I would need?

@net, thanks for your response, see my reply to Xerixe

@Xerixe, thanks for your response, you're spot on, I'm paying $70 + server cost, seems like too much money for just mp3s. One month my total bill was $120.
    Could you recommend a VPS setup? And maybe an host? Thanks so much!!

a good semi-dedicated plan should be good for that kind of traffic and resources
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

Re: Is amazon AWS necessary?

I would check digital ocean. They have wordpress stacks already installed and generous amount of bandwidth included.
    Out of interest :what are your lectures about?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    I would check digital ocean. They have wordpress stacks already installed and generous amount of bandwidth included.
    i was just about to ask that LOL Do tell us
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Base10 View Post
    how much bandwidth are you using each month
    Hey Ray-Base! I'm using 550gb/month. All for mp3 files (lectures). I already shrinked the mp3s as much as I can while still keeping a good quality. But I guess it's just adding up regardless.

Would you prefer managed / unmanaged? If you're looking for unmanaged servers, you could get them a quarter or less of what you're currently paying. Just check out the offers section in WHT.
    If you already have knowledge on how to manage a server / set up everything you need, just go with unmanaged.
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Xerixe View Post

Darn! Better go for VPS then.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

A vps could work well for your purpose. A quality vps will cost you about $10-$20 a month. Add about $20-30 if you need it to be a fully-managed vps with a control panel. Servint, Knownhost, and Wiredtree are examples of popular managed hosts.

Alternatively, I think you could also be well served by a quality shared hosting account. For example, I think you could get by with a $20 Grid account from MediaTemple.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-Base10 View Post
    i was just about to ask that LOL Do tell us
    Hey guys It's on American Linguistics and Phonetics, and the history thereof... I know that puts most people to sleep.. But it's been a big hobby of mine.

Would you prefer managed / unmanaged? If you're looking for unmanaged servers, you could get them a quarter or less of what you're currently paying. Just check out the offers section in WHT.
    If you already have knowledge on how to manage a server / set up everything you need, just go with unmanaged.
    Thanks so much Xerixe! I think I will go with unmanaged and I will follow your advice. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Darn! Better go for VPS then.

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    A vps could work well for your purpose. A quality vps will cost you about $10-$20 a month. Add about $20-30 if you need it to be a fully-managed vps with a control panel. Servint, Knownhost, and Wiredtree are examples of popular managed hosts.

Alternatively, I think you could also be well served by a quality shared hosting account. For example, I think you could get by with a $20 Grid account from MediaTemple.
    Awesome, this is really helpful! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamouse View Post

I think I will go with unmanaged and I will follow your advice. Thanks again!
    If you decide to go unmanaged, check-out rocketvps, linode, and togglebox. All three provide a quality service and offer generous bandwidth with the lower-tier offerings.

There has been a lot of suggestion on this thread. I would verily agree with each one of them. The best option would be VPS as it is cheaper than AWS considering you only have to listen and to backup your MP3 files. The other option you can consider is Linode. It is comparatively cheaper than AWS and provides good solution. If you have some knowledge about the server and code level, then un-managed will be okay with you however, if not, then managed hosting would be a good choice indeed.

That's quite a lot.

But why Amazon for MP3 collection