Host solution for high disk i/o

Right now I am running on a cloud vps. I am planning to set up some site that will cause big amount of disk i/o.

It's for sure that vps providers won't like to handle high amount of disk i/o rates on their box, as it will effect the performance.

So can I use cloud vps or do I really need dedi box (or maybe other server solution?) for high disk i/o ?

I just need some high amount of disk size (let's say 250 gb or less) but like i said i/o rate may cause a problem. So dedi box will be too much for me for sure but just trying to find for cheaper alternative.

VPS is considered as shared hosting and if the provider noticed you are eating all the IO, then you will be alerted.

So, for your own good, it is best to get a dedicated server so you can get all the resources you may need.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Like net said, a VPS is still shared so if you're running something that will affect other's on the box then most likely the host will ask you to move to a dedicated server.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Quote Originally Posted by bonjurkes View Post
    So can I use cloud vps or do I really need dedi box (or maybe other server solution?) for high disk i/o ?
    Depending on the cloud setup, the disks can be on a SAN and that will just cause lags in IO and that will just increase overall IO issues. As others noted VPS will also cause problems.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing that has high IO?
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    Depending on the cloud setup, the disks can be on a SAN and that will just cause lags in IO and that will just increase overall IO issues. As others noted VPS will also cause problems.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing that has high IO?
    A proper SAN setup will not cause lags in IOPS.
    StyleX Networks - Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    Sales: 1-855-4STYLEX (478-9539)
    Email: sales@stylexnetworks.com
    Twitter: @StyleXNetworks

Re: Host solution for high disk i/o

Quote Originally Posted by Stylex Networks View Post
    A proper SAN setup will not cause lags in IOPS.
    That isn't really an accurate statement. SAN is not magic pixie dust, it's a switching system for storage access. There are just as many points of saturation in a SAN deployment as a network deployment and proper is a subjective term - how many HBAs are you prepared to put in a high end box and to what extent are you prepared to do all the zoning and distribution of LUNs to ensure everything takes the most efficient path at all times?

I've seen just as many bad SAN deployments as I have any other storage or network deployments and SAN connectivity is not necessarily a better mechanism than host attached storage if IOPS are the key metric rather than redundancy or scalability as per the above poster's situation.

In answer to the OP, a dedicated server will give you the insurance of not being cut off for impacting shared hosting resources, but comes at a premium. You'd have to make the call but it does sound like you need a dedicated box to ensure uptime based on your description.

To simply state that a SAN storage will cause lag in IOPS is a false statement. A proper SAN deployment (What type of storage, number of controllers, network interface cards, how many are bonded, type of converged network switch, etc) with proper infrastructure and connectivity will meet and exceed your IOPS expectations.
    StyleX Networks - Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    Sales: 1-855-4STYLEX (478-9539)
    Email: sales@stylexnetworks.com
    Twitter: @StyleXNetworks

change dedicated server

I suggest you can change dedicated server so that protect your OS.

Re: Host solution for high disk i/o

That is also true. Enough money and enough planning will support plenty of IO activity regardless, but it wouldn't necessitate SAN storage for applications which either don't need it or could be achieved locally for much cheaper

I definitely see no need for SAN storage in this instance. It is 250G of high IO storage with no stated replication or redundancy requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Stylex Networks View Post
    To simply state that a SAN storage will cause lag in IOPS is a false statement. A proper SAN deployment (What type of storage, number of controllers, network interface cards, how many are bonded, type of converged network switch, etc) with proper infrastructure and connectivity will meet and exceed your IOPS expectations.
    And everyone's setup is proper 100% of the time. If you read my post, it says depending on the setup. Meaning, depending on the properness of the cloud setup, including SAN, IO lag may be an issue.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

You will likely need a "private cloud" for this.
    EuroVPS provides this to some pretty big clients, like MTV and Nickelodeon. Look there.

If you think this is going to be cheap, just quit now.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

First, how much your budget?
    If u have thick budget, dacentec dedicated server with 4 sas hdd would be solution, set up that on raid 10 and you will have good io
    And it cost only 50 dollar/mo

A lower spec dedicated with an ssd sounds like it would work best, or you might be able to try out some load balancing between multiple vps servers.