Question Superfluous name server listed at parent

I am trying to set up a backup DNS server. I have configured and added this backup DNS server to the list of name servers at my registrar. However, I am testing the DNS for my domain using the tool at

dnscheck.pingdom.com

and it reports the error

Superfluous name server listed at parent

The domain I'm creating a backup DNS server for is: automsw.com, and the new backup DNS server is at

ns1.beileysoftware.com

It seems one of my other original name servers ns11.ixwebhosting.com doesn't know about ns1.beileysoftware.com, and isn't listing it as a nameserver. Do I understand this correctly? I don't know if my web hosting company allows me to designate an additional backup DNS server. It seems the DNS may be messed up at the moment, as when I look up the DNS records at:

network-tools.com

they don't look complete anymore. Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do?

Thanks,
    Mark

Take a look at this http://www.dnssy.com/report.php?q=automsw.com

Your "backup" dns server has no glue records for it. I am not sure what you are really trying to accomplish, it looks like ixwebhosting.com is already running 2 separate DNS servers for redundancy.

Your NS records at your parent nameserver are:

ns1.beileysoftware.com [206.80.205.146] TTL 172800
    ns12.ixwebhosting.com [98.130.1.26] TTL 172800
    ns11.ixwebhosting.com [98.130.253.162] TTL 172800

Your NS records at your nameservers are:

ns1.beileysoftware.com reported:
    ns1.beileysoftware.com [no glue] TTL 86400
    ns11.ixwebhosting.com [no glue] TTL 86400
    ns12.ixwebhosting.com [no glue] TTL 86400

ns12.ixwebhosting.com reported:
    ns11.ixwebhosting.com [98.130.253.162] TTL 86400
    ns12.ixwebhosting.com [98.130.1.26] TTL 86400

ns11.ixwebhosting.com reported:
    ns11.ixwebhosting.com [98.130.253.162] TTL 86400
    ns12.ixwebhosting.com [98.130.1.26] TTL 86400
    █ Brian Kearney, Stealthy Hosting/Server Stadium Seattle, WA [AS23033] Skype: StealthyHosting
    Custom Dedicated Servers
    Low Cost Instant Dedicated Servers

█ Email: Sales@StealthyHosting.com

Hi StealthyHosting,

Thanks for the reply/help. I am trying to add a 3rd nameserver for backup/redundancy purposes. It has happened several times that the ixwebhosting.com nameservers get overwhelmed from DDOS attacks and/or just being overloaded. I want a 3rd one to help keep my sites available, even when all the ns*.ixwebhosting.com servers are unavailable.

The problem I'm concerned about is that the parent nameserver and my new nameserver report all 3 of the nameservers, but the 2 nameservers at ns11/12.ixwebhosting.com only report the 2. I suspect strictly speaking this is not RFC compliant, thus it is reported as an error on some of these DNS health check sites. I would like to get ixwebhosting to allow me to add a NS record, so that all nameservers report all 3 consistently. It doesn't look like I can do this from my hosting control panel, and I've sent them an email, but haven't heard back yet. If I can't update the nameservers at ixwebhosting to also report my new nameserver, how big of a deal is this? My site seems to work okay, but I'd like for everything to be compliant. Should I keep my 3rd nameserver at the expense of being non-compliant?

Thanks,
    Mark