Advice on New VPS server

Hi,

I'm curretly looking for a new server but need to clear up a few points:

Mainly looking at hosting database ran sites (all quite low loads at the moment) opencart, magento, joomla & wordpress. Most of the sites are based in the UK with .co.uk domains.

1. Which would be the best for these type of site, VPS or Cloud?

2. I've noticed a few good offers around europe - will this slow the site transfer down or have any negatives.

3. Would 2gb of ram be ok for these sites on a VPS.

4. I'm thinking of going with an unmanaged VPS with CPanel - how easy would it be to manage this. I'm currently running a server with Directadmin and need to do alot of command line installs/configs to keep it running (Main reason for changing is to spend less time monitoring the server)

5. Any recommendations on Hosting offers/companies. Looking at future hosting at the moment but there Ram seems to be quite low on their VPS packages (Budget of about 40 per Month)

Thanks for any help

N.

Moved > VPS Hosting .
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I just would say that if you are looking for speed in a VPS, seek for a VPS provider who has a SSD offer, with a good amount of RAM 2GB or 4GB for example with cPanel runs fine, and also determine the latency with the people that will enter most often to your sites.

That kind of combination will give you surely the best result, despite
    checking that the provider don't oversell the nodes.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck !
    Multiple Locations, Services & Solutions for your Needs since 2005 !!
    www.increhost.com | sales[@]increhost.net | WeServers!
    █ GTalk: increhost[@] | Skype: increhost | MSN: sales[@]increhost.net

Many "cloud" is not real "cloud"

are you currently on vps?what is the current configurations and resource usage?your budget can be enough also for higher ram in some providers with cPanel. normally if you want to use cPanel on vps should choose your ram some high,cPanel may use near 1Gb of your Ram.
    ServerSub.com - Managed and Unmanaged Virtual & Dedicated Server|XenServer Windows & Linux VPS
    - New York City|Miami|Singapore|Hong Kong|UK|Netherlands|Germany|France|Canada​|Lithuania|Dallas
    - VPS and Dedicated Servers in 11 Global location 100% Pure SSD Reseller & Shared Host
    cPanel NOC| Microsoft SPLA| PayPal, Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Payza, WebMoney, PerfectMoney Accepted!

ServerSub - I'm currently on a dedicated server (unmanaged) - Quad-core Xeon 2.13GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x250GB HDD for 40 but I haven't the time to manage it myself and they could only install Directadmin on it when it was setup - they did not have a Cpanel option.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeiro View Post
    ServerSub - I'm currently on a dedicated server (unmanaged) - Quad-core Xeon 2.13GHz, 8GB RAM, 2x250GB HDD for 40 but I haven't the time to manage it myself and they could only install Directadmin on it when it was setup - they did not have a Cpanel option.
    ok,you have access to your server and can install cPanel,not need to change server if you are satisfied.
    just ask someone to install cPanel on your server.but cPanel license on dedicated server is 35$ /mo.if you want to pay lower price you can install something like vmware or xen server or ... and make a one VM and use 15$ mo cPanel vps license.
    ServerSub.com - Managed and Unmanaged Virtual & Dedicated Server|XenServer Windows & Linux VPS
    - New York City|Miami|Singapore|Hong Kong|UK|Netherlands|Germany|France|Canada​|Lithuania|Dallas
    - VPS and Dedicated Servers in 11 Global location 100% Pure SSD Reseller & Shared Host
    cPanel NOC| Microsoft SPLA| PayPal, Credit Card, Bitcoin, Skrill, Payza, WebMoney, PerfectMoney Accepted!

Sounds like you need a managed VPS with cPanel. But you could try a dedicated server with management.

You did say they're all .co.uk domains, but is your site's major traffic from the UK/EU? Or is that US? Based on that, you should go for a US or EU provider.

2GB RAM should be good for a start seeing as your sites are low traffic. A cPanel install recommends at least 512MB RAM on the VPS so you should be fine as long as you've got proper optimization in place.

And as others have stated, you should probably go for a managed service. Your budget should be adequate to get you a nice managed + cPanel VPS. Most providers include management when they include cPanel. You should shop around on the advertisement forums, see if you can find something you like.
    *StrongNode.net - Affordable Managed VPS Servers*
    *LOTS OF RAM IS WHAT WE DO*

Lightbulb Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Neeiro View Post
    Hi,

I'm curretly looking for a new server but need to clear up a few points:

Mainly looking at hosting database ran sites (all quite low loads at the moment) opencart, magento, joomla & wordpress. Most of the sites are based in the UK with .co.uk domains.

1. Which would be the best for these type of site, VPS or Cloud?

2. I've noticed a few good offers around europe - will this slow the site transfer down or have any negatives.

3. Would 2gb of ram be ok for these sites on a VPS.

4. I'm thinking of going with an unmanaged VPS with CPanel - how easy would it be to manage this. I'm currently running a server with Directadmin and need to do alot of command line installs/configs to keep it running (Main reason for changing is to spend less time monitoring the server)

5. Any recommendations on Hosting offers/companies. Looking at future hosting at the moment but there Ram seems to be quite low on their VPS packages (Budget of about 40 per Month)

Thanks for any help

N.
    Buying a vps would be a good option. 2GB ram is good enough. Well many hosts have such plans to suit your needs. Your budget is also fair enough to fit in your requirements. Check the offers section of WHT to strike the best deal.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor