.bak files - how to restore?

I've been supplied a couple of .bak files by our clients previous web developer. I know the files contain a backup of an umbraco installation and it's database. However I am not having much luck finding out what type of hosting I need to be able to restore these .bak files. Obviously a Windows hosting account, but can anyone shed any light on whether there is a specific control panel; that generates these .bak files? My experience is mostly with Linux hosting, and contacting the previous web developer is not an option.

I too am mostly experienced in Linux Hosting systems, but I believe you will need parallels control panel with MSSQL installed. Of course someone correct me if I am wrong.
    ▌Midnight Host | We're taking the UK by STORM
    ▌Shared, Reseller and VPS
    ▌Follow us on Twitter
    www.midnighthost.co.uk

You could try renaming it to .zip and seeing if it opens.

The trouble you've got is that the .bak extension is very general indeed. To the best of my knowledge there are no applications that routinely create files with that extension. It's a 3-letter extension (from the old 8+3 DOS days) that sounds and looks like "backup". A number of applications can be set automatically to create a backup copy of a file before it is overwritten, so that if you save "Document1.doc" over an existing file, the old one is automatically renamed "Document1.doc.bak".

One other thing to try is to open a copy of the file in a good text editor (like notepad++). Sometimes the opening lines of a file contain human-readable clues to tell you what program generated it.

Otherwise, you'd need to ask the developer who created it. They haven't supplied a backup if they haven't told you how to open it.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by chipsto View Post
    I've been supplied a couple of .bak files by our clients previous web developer. I know the files contain a backup of an umbraco installation and it's database. However I am not having much luck finding out what type of hosting I need to be able to restore these .bak files. Obviously a Windows hosting account, but can anyone shed any light on whether there is a specific control panel; that generates these .bak files? My experience is mostly with Linux hosting, and contacting the previous web developer is not an option.
    I believe the backup is not created in a .bak format. Most probably someone has manually renamed it to a .bak file. Try exracting it and you will be able to know acordingly with the list of files that it conatins.
    "I thought my jokes were bad"