Support Response Time to Critical Tickets

Hello.

Just wondering, how long does it usually take to respond to a critical ticket?

I want to be understanding to my web host, but I need to know what the industry considers reasonable and unreasonable for trouble ticket support times. I have a downed VPS, and it crashed at work in the midst of trying to access vital files my co-worker sent me. I submitted a trouble ticket but it's been an hour and a half and according to my ticket queue status, it hasn't even been looked at and is still unassigned.

Is this normal for web hosting industry standards?
    Best Hosting Experiences: Voxtreme.Com (Shared Reseller / 5yrs / Former), Serverpoint.Com (Dedicated & VPS / 13+ yrs / Current)

Where are you hosted?

Industry standard "acceptable response time" is about an hour for critical tickets.

Of course the standard response time will vary provider to provider. Personally I like to see less than 15 minutes.

When you say critical ticket, what exactly, makes this a critical ticket? I.e. Did you just set the priority as 'Critical'?

It's worth noting that a lot of providers pay no attention to the priority of tickets. They answer them based on the time since the ticket was opened (so people who've been waiting longer get help first). We, for one, operate in this fashion. We even removed ticket priorities since they don't have any effect on how quickly we will answer. It's a case of first come, first served. Try opening one ticket with a low priority, and one with critical/high -- the response time will most definitely be the same

Some providers have a critical support department where they might charge extra for support, though.

When you say critical ticket, what exactly, makes this a critical ticket? I.e. Did you just set the priority as 'Critical'?
    That is a fair question as I'm sure many clients view every issue as 'critical'.

This is for a downed VPS, I cannot reboot it because I'd have to access my IP to do this and I cannot ping my IP, and it was a show stopper at a critical time at work (Murphy's Law)

It's almost been two hours and the ticket has not been looked at or assigned. I figured an hour would be the longest amount of time, but I'm worried that I'm SOL until tomorrow since it's 1 AM where I'm being hosted according to the support timestamp.

*points to signature* Serverpoint.Com is my host and honestly I usually don't require support. And when I have needed it on rare occasion there is a guy named Shabi in support who is really on top of his game--can't say the same for his coworkers though, but again, I rarely need support. It should be noted that I mainly use my VPS for work emails, so I only care whether my server is up or down for 8-12 hours a day. My websites are all hobby sites or data dumps. This factors into why I do not need a lot of support.
    Last edited by ochiba; 11-05-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: replying to a question I missed
    Best Hosting Experiences: Voxtreme.Com (Shared Reseller / 5yrs / Former), Serverpoint.Com (Dedicated & VPS / 13+ yrs / Current)

Quote Originally Posted by ochiba View Post
    That is a fair question as I'm sure many clients view every issue as 'critical'.

This is for a downed VPS, I cannot reboot it because I'd have to access my IP to do this and I cannot ping my IP, and it was a show stopper at a critical time at work (Murphy's Law)

It's almost been two hours and the ticket has not been looked at or assigned. I figured an hour would be the longest amount of time, but I'm worried that I'm SOL until tomorrow since it's 1 AM where I'm being hosted according to the support timestamp.

*points to signature* Serverpoint.Com is my host and honestly I usually don't require support. And when I have needed it on rare occasion there is a guy named Shabi in support who is really on top of his game--can't say the same for his coworkers though, but again, I rarely need support. It should be noted that I mainly use my VPS for work emails, so I only care whether my server is up or down for 8-12 hours a day. My websites are all hobby sites or data dumps. This factors into why I do not need a lot of support.
    The above are possible scenarios or your issue is currently looked into and they'll update you when they have the solution?

Nonetheless, without knowing the exact scenario it is hard to make a judgement. Meanwhile googling for solutions may be helpful.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Of course not. We don't get many tickets and as such all issues are handled very quickly anyway. It totally comes down to the size and type of the business. If you have 10 concurrent tickets to deal with, you might be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Korean View Post
    WOW, So a simple question and a critical help request like business down for you is just the same?

This is not hypothetical. My VPS server has been down now for 4 hours and my support ticket remains untouched and unassigned in its queue.

Unfortunately, the server went down on the busiest week of busiest month of the year--which is just plain bad luck. However, I don't feel like this should excuse a host that doesn't even look at a critical ticket for this long when they say that they provide 24/7 support. Had this happened in the morning rather than this evening, I wouldn't have been able to do my job today.

However--again--I'm trying to be reasonable here and see if the wait time for my trouble ticket reply is acceptable according to industry standards rather than my own (of course I want my tickets looked at immediately regardless of their priority).

Also, sorry, but what should I query? What can be resolved from the client-side if the IP can't be pingged and according to various site checkers: "m2c.org is DOWN for everyone."? This isn't a domain issue as I'm checking against the IP, or a payment issue as I've already received my payment invoice, or a client-side issue as my computer and internet are working fine--plus, I'm home now and still having the same problem (as opposed to my office laptop). I'm assuming this is a network or hardware or VPS software issue.

Wouldn't that mean there is nothing I can do myself? Sorry, could you tell me what to query for if I'm missing something here? Thank you.

Here is my IP: 216.108.236.18
    Here is a test domain: m2c.org

Edit: I just want to clarify and stress that my ticket is still open, pending, and unassigned. Had Serverpoint viewed my ticket and stated they would get back to me, I would trust that 4 hour down time meant a network issue and assume that they were doing their best to resolve it. I'm not asking about the downtime, I'm asking about what seems like an unreasonably slow response to look into it. It should be noted that Serverpoint is prompt in replies and resolutions during daytime business hours for them, but 24/7 support should be 24/7 support, yes?
    Last edited by ochiba; 11-05-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarification

I checked out Serverpoint’s website and it seems to imply that they are an unmanaged hosting provider. Could your issue be due to things outside their scope of support?
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    I checked out Serverpointís website and it seems to imply that they are an unmanaged hosting provider. Could your issue be due to things outside their scope of support?

Even with unmanaged, the OP still needs a help since he can't ping nor reboot the server at all.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Here is my IP: 216.108.236.18
    Here is a test domain: m2c.org
    Good to see that the issue has now been corrected (both the above work perfect for me). It's surprising to here that your vps provider does not offer a management panel to stop/start/rebuild your vps.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

trouble ticket issued: 12:18
    trouble ticket response and resolution: 03:28 -> 03:53 AM

(done while I was posting here and searching for a back up host so technically 3 hours to look at my ticket and 20 minutes to resolve it, not 4 hours)

So, basically, my server *would* have been working in less than 30 minutes had they looked at my trouble ticket in the time they normally respond to tickets. Instead my site was down for 4 hours. I ask again--is this reasonable?

And it's hard for me to take an upsell when I just had the worst working day of quite a few years thanks to my VPS host.

Hi,

Your VPS is up now.
    Please check and let us know if you face any problem.

We strongly suggest you to consider migrating to our Colossus cloud VPS service for stable and better performance.
    http://www.serverpoint.com/en/vps-ho...inux-vps.phtml

Please let us know if you have any other question.

We have customers putting the tickets on critical all the time, even if it's as simple as "I can't remember my password for cpanel".

We usually respond within' minutes, but based on the subject and context of the email, the response time might be different. Surely, if something is completely down, we'll look into it right away, if a customer forgot the password, it will be responded as soon as we get to that ticket.

Also some pay for better support, surely they get better support - but we're a small company, so the amount of tickets is very limited, resulting in fast response most of the time.

I think, the response time, is very different what you can expect, if you're a customer that contact support like 50 times a week, and put everything as critical, and 95% of them is not critical. Then I think the support will just start responding slower to the tickets.

On the other hand, if you only create a ticket, when you actually are facing a business critical issue, then it would probably be handled faster. - With that said, for a critical prio, I would say 15-60 minutes, based on the company itself.

From bigger professional companies, where you pay more, I would personally expect faster response, than something cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Even with unmanaged, the OP still needs a help since he can't ping nor reboot the server at all.
    Exactly, this was obviously a problem on my host's side. Hence, them telling me I need to upgrade to something more reliable after they immediately fixed the problem.

Unmanaged does not mean me flying to the States to toggle a power button. My VPS can only be rebooted from the IP, if I can't ping it, I definitely can't access the site to reboot. I don't mean to be rude, but I understand what 'unmanaged' means.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting4Real View Post
    We have customers putting the tickets on critical all the time, even if it's as simple as "I can't remember my password for cpanel".

We usually respond within' minutes, but based on the subject and context of the email, the response time might be different. Surely, if something is completely down, we'll look into it right away, if a customer forgot the password, it will be responded as soon as we get to that ticket.

Also some pay for better support, surely they get better support - but we're a small company, so the amount of tickets is very limited, resulting in fast response most of the time.

I think, the response time, is very different what you can expect, if you're a customer that contact support like 50 times a week, and put everything as critical, and 95% of them is not critical. Then I think the support will just start responding slower to the tickets.

On the other hand, if you only create a ticket, when you actually are facing a business critical issue, then it would probably be handled faster. - With that said, for a critical prio, I would say 15-60 minutes, based on the company itself.

From bigger professional companies, where you pay more, I would personally expect faster response, than something cheap.

When I suspected server intrusion 2 years ago, I request a shutdown and labelled it low priority. This is the third trouble ticket I've submitted in 2 years and the first critical ticket. It should be noted that I've been using dedicated and VPS with Serverpoint since they were aplushosting. My 'cheap' payments have totalled over 9K in customer loyalty and for the past 3 years, it's been for about 5 regular email accounts--that is not cheap. Maybe I have been with ServerPoint too long, I don't know.

I signed up for site5's shared hosting and created a backup email, so that this never happens again. And I'll be researching other VPS Hosts like WiredTree (which I've been reading good things about) before I decide whether to upgrade my current server or move on. All I care about is uptime, and because Serverpoint has always delivered before, I trust them. Today was really the just wrong day for my server to be down for 4 hours--especially if that time was unnecessary downtime.
    Last edited by ochiba; 11-05-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Apologies for the double post, I do not know how to merge them.

This is not hypothetical. My VPS server has been down now for 4 hours and my support ticket remains untouched and unassigned in its queue.
    Sounds like they're a one person show that doesn't do business over night. If it takes 4 hours to get a response to this ticket, time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Exactly. Even with unmanaged, it's the provider's responsibility to at least ensure that the customer can access the IP and respond appropriately. This, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting4Real View Post
    We have customers putting the tickets on critical all the time, even if it's as simple as "I can't remember my password for cpanel"..
    or "my outlook just stopped working", but yes, yes indeed.

Exactly, this was obviously a problem on my host's side. Hence, them telling me I need to upgrade to something more reliable after they immediately fixed the problem.

Unmanaged does not mean me flying to the States to toggle a power button. My VPS can only be rebooted from the IP, if I can't ping it, I definitely can't access the site to reboot. I don't mean to be rude, but I understand what 'unmanaged' means.
    You're absolutely correct. You shouldn't have to do anything but open a ticket, since the provider doesn't want to provide you with a login to the vps control area. That seems a bit silly, but they're probably just a reseller themselves. Like I said, if it takes 4 hours to get a basic response like this, time to move on I'd say. There's plenty of providers that'll actually give you the ability to control your VPS for much less than what you're paying I'm sure
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

We try and respond in 5 to 10 minutes to all support tickets if possible.

Sometimes it can take a bit longer to get to some of the support tickets depending on how many tickets we have in queue.

If the issue is gonna take awhile to resolve, we'll at least respond letting the client know that we're working on the issue.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

When I suspected server intrusion 2 years ago, I request a shutdown and labelled it low priority. This is the third trouble ticket I've submitted in 2 years and the first critical ticket. It should be noted that I've been using dedicated and VPS with Serverpoint since they were aplushosting. My 'cheap' payments have totalled over 9K in customer loyalty and for the past 3 years, it's been for about 5 regular email accounts--that is not cheap. Maybe I have been with ServerPoint too long, I don't know.

I signed up for site5's shared hosting and created a backup email, so that this never happens again. And I'll be researching other VPS Hosts like WiredTree (which I've been reading good things about) before I decide whether to upgrade my current server or move on. All I care about is uptime, and because Serverpoint has always delivered before, I trust them. Today was really the just wrong day for my server to be down for 4 hours--especially if that time was unnecessary downtime.
    Indeed, Also what I did read from your post, you haven't been in need of support, so yeah I can imagine it sucks, when you finally need it that it had/have slow response.

Yeah like the above, first come first serve, however it depends, we've had people put sale enquires as high, and if they send a email to our department we've set what status they are set to.

If it's technical support I'd say it shouldn't be over a hour or two depending how busy they are.

Well, it looks like it's resolved. I think having a back up mail address at site5 is something I'll stick with going forward if they turn out to be a decent host.

I asked Serverpoint for an explanation concerning the 3 hour delayed response to my ticket, and can only hope that there is a reason other than "we just couldn't be arsed".

Thanks to those who replied.

Well, it looks like it's resolved. I think having a back up mail address at site5 is something I'll stick with going forward if they turn out to be a decent host.

I asked Serverpoint for an explanation concerning the 3 hour delayed response to my ticket, and can only hope that there is a reason other than "we just couldn't be arsed".

Thanks to those who replied.
    Do they have any average support times in the SLA?

Sorry if you've already answered this question, but do you have access to a VPS control panel, to reboot your VPS? Or was this not an option with this issue?
    zFast Technologies - Affordable Web Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, SHOUTcast & Domain Registration!
    █ Quality web hosting since 2009 - www.zfast.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Danoidx View Post
    Do they have any average support times in the SLA?

Sorry if you've already answered this question, but do you have access to a VPS control panel, to reboot your VPS? Or was this not an option with this issue?
    I'm supposed to, but I didn't. My VPS control panel is linked to a port on my IP. I couldn't access the page because my server was down and I could not ping my IP. I'm not sure about their SLA, and unfortunately the 4 hour down time yesterday cost a lot more than if they were to refund me for the month, so I have a back up account at site5 and I'm looking for a new VPS host to be ready if this happens again.