Thread: Server question

Server question

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am looking for some resources to explain the different server types that hosts use.

Many hosts will promote that they use a certain type \ model server, and I would like to increase my knowledge.
    ██ The Webmaster - Hosting News, Reviews, Hosting & WordPress Tutorials, and Hosting Guides

You can find different type of server list from serchen.co.uk this website.
    EyHost.Biz | host with us, be relaxed - 24/7 Support Via Support Ticket
    Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Premium Reseller | Managed VPS [cPanel/Plesk] | Domain Name Reseller
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud Servers [Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas - USA , Amsterdam]

High-end server != stable
    Only a good resource control management will be a good service.
    if it have hardware raid 1/5/10 (or high), SAS harddisk, ECC ram, redundant PSU and redundant NIC, that will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by skyxtech View Post
    High-end server != stable
    Only a good resource control management will be a good service.
    if it have hardware raid 1/5/10 (or high), SAS harddisk, ECC ram, redundant PSU and redundant NIC, that will be better.
    Great thanks. Looks like I have some reading up to do.
    ██ The Webmaster - Hosting News, Reviews, Hosting & WordPress Tutorials, and Hosting Guides

As far as the raid levels of the hard drives go Raid 1 is a mirrored 2nd drive so anything you write or do on the first drive is also written to the second. If either of those drives fail you stay online with the other. Now, this being said if the main drive becomes corrupt SO DOES THE SECOND. This is why you should also do backups as well as have raid1. Raid1 is in place in case of hardware failure ONLY!

Now, Raid0 has NO redundancy in place, it is for performance only. The even bits of data go on one drive and the odd bits of data goes on the other drive. So you have 2 drives doing the work of 1. BUT, if you lose either one of those drives you lose all your data.

Raid 10 (or sometimes called Raid1+0) uses both of these Raid features. Raid 10 uses at least 4 drives (2 of these drives are in place for the redundancy and the performance increase) So you have 2 drives of total usable space. 4x500GB HD in a raid10 gives you 1,000GB of usable space.

Hardware:
    "Super Micro" has a great product and offers very good hardware. You can also get servers from companies like Dell or HP.

Good Luck!
    Kevin Boyle- Hivelocity- Account Manager
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Exclusive Flat Rate cPanel Provider

Can you elaborate on what kind of servers are you referring to? such as hardware type or models?