What happens if you host your company with a......

I won't say "fly by night"....but they seem pretty small. I originally got my domain and hosting account (haven't build the website yet....but plan to very soon). It's not going to be a store, more of a professional brochure for a consulting company. So.....a little down time possibly here and there isn't the end of the world.

I guess I'm asking what the level of PITA is if for some reason a hosting company at some point says "we're not doing this anymore"? That ever happen? I already paid (renewal) for another year....so kinda considering just using them. I THINK (based on their phone number) that they might be part of wild west...but not really sure how all of that works.

Thoughts? Just go with them since it's just a brochure and can be switched if there's a problem....or pay double and go with someone bigger and not worry about it? I don't want to use their name as that's not fair to them. Thanks

If you're unsure if a provider is reliable in the long run it's usually best to pay on a month to month basis until you're comfortable enough to prepay for an annual (or longer) term. There have been tons of providers who simply decide that they no longer want to be in the business, but in most cases these providers often get absorbed by other larger providers and companies who purchase them in a buy out. This definitely does not mean that every new provider out there is going to eventually vanish or get bought out one day. Worst case scenario is if one day your provider decides to pack up shop then you'll lose your website and it's data. So in preparation for that, just keep back up copies of your site and other important data regularly.

Best of luck to you, hopefully your provider will prove to be reliable enough

It all depends, we've had some of that lately on the forum, a host couldn't afford to stay open, it happens since we're in the days of the credit crunch and every penny counts. But there's a 50 / 50 chance.

If your worried, personally If I was in your shoes I'd move. But since you've paid a year in advance, stay with them, however take regular backups. Just incase you do need to move. Did you buy your domain with them. If your did and your worried after a month transfer it out. There are providers who put the domain in their name, that stops you from easily moving it out. So just be careful, for that you can check your whois.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Listen that can happen to any company, there is no way to know if it will but I think being prepared in case it will work better for you in the long run. I think you should make and have your own backups. Data is #1, without it you will have to rebuild from scratch. I think registering your domain name separate from the hosting I think will work better for you because you want to make sure you will have the rights to it, in case they close shop.

If you already paid, you might as well stay, unless you are having a problem.

No matter how good a host is, always keep your backups local to you and you should be fine.
    Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
    Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
    Established since 2011

Well you could try to contact them and ask questions, if you get a reply at least you know they're legit. Yeah and never be too over confident - do regular backups
    Epidrive Webhosting Solutions - Premium Quality Hosting Made Affordable
    Berry Servers - The Most Affordable VPS Servers

Quote Originally Posted by jcarney1987 View Post
    If you already paid, you might as well stay, unless you are having a problem.

No matter how good a host is, always keep your backups local to you and you should be fine.
    This is exactly true. Even if you're not hosting with a "fly by night" host, I would recommend backing up everything.

Quote Originally Posted by a2hosting View Post
    This is exactly true. Even if you're not hosting with a "fly by night" host, I would recommend backing up everything.
    I agree. I remember when HostRail shut down. Nobody saw it coming.

Yeap. Backing up your site constantly is the best approach.

However, I would recommend paying monthly as it's much safer that way. You could even use the subscribe feature PayPal has so you won't have to worry about forgetting to pay.
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

Quote Originally Posted by FastReturn View Post
    I agree. I remember when HostRail shut down. Nobody saw it coming.
    Certainly not, because there business model was really promising for the long term If you're on a similarly notorious host all you can do is run FAST!