Does hostgator really eat up the competition?

Is it true that hostgator eat up the competition? Please tell me the truth if you know about it

Thanks

No, they simply fork out huge sums of money on advertising. They are no better than any other host. Simply they have great marketing, and people flock to them like sheep.

They used to, until EIG eat them.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

This seems fitting: http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...es-eig-pt1.htm

I especially love the graphic!
    █| VEEROTECH.NET - Shared, Reseller & VPS Hosting
    █| High Performance *Pure SSD* CloudLinux & LiteSpeed Powered Web Hosting
    █| cPanel & WHM - Softaculous - Website Builder - R1Soft - SpamExperts - Let's Encrypt

Its just their slogan. They were sold to EIG and no longer owned by their founder, Brent Oxley.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post
    This seems fitting: http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials...es-eig-pt1.htm

I especially love the graphic!
    Fascinating article.

They also praise Namecheap's Matt Russell, who is definitely one of the good guys in hosting.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    Its just their slogan. They were sold to EIG and no longer owned by their founder, Brent Oxley.
    Who walked away with an estimated quarter billion bucks for his trouble. Way to go Brent.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

luck for him he won't be caring now lol

We have lost a few clients to Hostgator, just hope they don't come crying back to us - "told you so" scenario.
    Regards,
    Peter
    UK Web Hosting - Professional & Reliable Managed Hosting and OpenVZ VPS Hosting!

HG use to be one of the more reliable "big name" hosting providers up until EIG bought them out. If you do a quick search on even just WHT alone you'll find a handful of recently posted negative experiences with HostGator. From these reviews it seems like HG's quality of service has degraded substantially since the EIG takeover.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    From these reviews it seems like HG's quality of service has degraded substantially since the EIG takeover.
    I think substantially is still a lightweight description to the situation.

Eat or be eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    They used to, until EIG eat them.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Probably when Brent Owned it. But I bet the competition is now eating Hostgator up instead since EIG bought it.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

They certainly were among the best in shared hosting at a point.
    █ █ █

People now have started moving away from HG these days. I haven't read any good review about HG in recent days.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Don't ever work for them, they'll screw you like there's no tomorrow.
    Arcanum Services LLC
    "ServerHand" VPS - Dedicated Servers - cPanel Shared Hosting
    Datacenters in NYC & Orlando.

Eating up at least 150 million a year in revenues. So yes, eating their fill.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    Fascinating article.

They also praise Namecheap's Matt Russell, who is definitely one of the good guys in hosting.
    Thank you
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

So who is good then?

I;ve been trying to move away from HG after 7 years. I recently moved to their VPS as I thought it might be a better option to stick with HG but move up a level, but apparently its "not a good option for high traffic sites" as their shared plans have more resources?!

I tried Site5 - great support - but terrible product for anything other than a simple(VERY simple) wordpress or static html site. All my wordpress plugins broke and CDN wouldnt work. They kept saying "its fine for me", so not them!

Anyone know of a really reliable, fast, host that is easy to use and has some decent support when needed - preferably with no restrictions on what you can run (within reason) and for less than $50-60 a month. Also unlimited addon domains needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tompix View Post
    So who is good then?

I;ve been trying to move away from HG after 7 years. I recently moved to their VPS as I thought it might be a better option to stick with HG but move up a level, but apparently its "not a good option for high traffic sites" as their shared plans have more resources?!

I tried Site5 - great support - but terrible product for anything other than a simple(VERY simple) wordpress or static html site. All my wordpress plugins broke and CDN wouldnt work. They kept saying "its fine for me", so not them!

Anyone know of a really reliable, fast, host that is easy to use and has some decent support when needed - preferably with no restrictions on what you can run (within reason) and for less than $50-60 a month. Also unlimited addon domains needed.

A few guides to help you;

1. stay away from anything that sells unlimited this and that. Just means the server is overloaded

2. look through the shared offers section on here. Lots of good reputable hosts

3. HG VPS's are over priced with less resources, but since the buyout, could be worse. If you are in need of a vps (which it doesn't sound like you need as yet) there's also reputable vps host that offer specials in the vps offers section

HG use to be one of the more reliable "big name" hosting providers up until EIG bought them out. If you do a quick search on even just WHT alone you'll find a handful of recently posted negative experiences with HostGator. From these reviews it seems like HG's quality of service has degraded substantially since the EIG takeover.
    This is good for the smaller hosts.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.

This is good for the smaller hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by tompix View Post
    We host over 100,000 WordPress websites with zero problems and I'd be happy to look into that if you have a ticket ID handy? But that is not something I've ever heard of happening on our hosting as we work perfectly with WordPress

Thanks, Ben
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Quote Originally Posted by Serverbros View Post
    No, they simply fork out huge sums of money on advertising. They are no better than any other host. Simply they have great marketing, and people flock to them like sheep.
    Agree, their customer service has gone to **** since the buyout as well IMO. Had a lot of headaches with them this year

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    A few guides to help you;

1. stay away from anything that sells unlimited this and that. Just means the server is overloaded

2. look through the shared offers section on here. Lots of good reputable hosts

3. HG VPS's are over priced with less resources, but since the buyout, could be worse. If you are in need of a vps (which it doesn't sound like you need as yet) there's also reputable vps host that offer specials in the vps offers section
    +1 .

4.Always check recent reviews of provider in legit review sites rather than affiliated blogs/forums and tos of provider before signing .

5.Ask directly to them what they are really going to offer .
    Fastest . Reliable . Affordable Web Hosting by MNCHOST.COM

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.Pure SSDs 4.US Support 5.Hourly Backups
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | Premium Bandwidth | New SSD-US Servers

Not really, they lost a lot of their customers.

Try an alternative hosting instead, they are too expensive.

Would you risk your hard-earned money paying $178.20 for a service so far in advanced? If you want to pay on month-by-month basis, the cost will then be $8.95/month, which is not too much cheaper than the alternative hosts

*no coupons - it reflect a discount on the first invoice only.
    Last edited by hostyd; 11-05-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    HostYD Free - Free web hosting that rocks!

HostYD Premium - PRO Web Hosting with cPanel and Free Domain For Life

As far as i can remember their competitors is also their co-brands. They're like the ray-bans of webhosting
    Epidrive Webhosting Solutions - Premium Quality Hosting Made Affordable
    Berry Servers - The Most Affordable VPS Servers

All I can say is that I used hostgator for a while it has become a very bad hosting company specially the chat is a joke

Post Need help deciding on shared hosting. Please help.

I'm new on WHT and this is my first post, but I thought I could post here as a reply instead of starting a new thread related to Host Gator.

I had to move from my old webhost which was HalfDollarHosting.com, as they weren't able to solve my problems, which were mostly due to their cache server (been like a month I wasted my time). Yes, I'm on a tight budget for a little while.

I asked a few friends and two of them told me Host Gator was good at tech support, so I moved to hostgator.com. But there's an Indian arm of Host Gator - hostgator.in. They are giving the Baby Hosting plan in 50% less using a coupon code due to festival time here in India.

I had previously tried a few Indian hosts but even with good uptimes, they have BAD/knowledgeless tech support staff (sad to say this as it's my own country). I've had very bad experiences with the tech support of a few well-known Indian web hosts.

I searched Google for reviews about HostGator India and their tech support, but couldn't find any such review. I got a lot of reviews of Hostgator.com VS Hostgator.in instead.

Now, I have got the almost free trial account with hostgator.com using the 1cent coupon for a month. But, I'm still somewhat confused whether I should get the Baby plan from HostGator India, as it comes to almost similar cost as hostgator.com (about 6 USD more) due to the 50% cost decrease. Otherwise, hostgator.com is cheaper than hostgator.in.

Does any of you have experience with their tech support? How is HostGator India's tech support? Would it be a good idea for me to get the Baby plan at HostGator India for an year at 50% off?

My hosting requirements are for about 3 blogs (plus or minus one).

I also read that ipage.com is giving away shared so called unlimited hosting for 1 USD per month till about 24 or so hours. So, was getting inclined to go with them but have read many bad reviews about them. Actually I've read bad reviews about HG, bluehost, dreamhost - all of them too. That's why I consulted some friends and they recommended HostGator.

Another option I was thinking was dreamhost, with an 80% off coupon, making it something like 22 USD for the first year. But they don't use cpanel and I'm afraid to use anything other than cpanel, as I'm used to cpanel. Also don't know how reliable dreamhost is at present.

Sorry for the long story-like post but I'd surely like suggestions from more experienced users.

Thanks for reading and trying to help.
    Raspal

Quote Originally Posted by Korean View Post
    All I can say is that I used hostgator for a while it has become a very bad hosting company specially the chat is a joke
    The recent reviews says it all.

I've been with hostgator since 2008 (reseller account, just for my websites) with no any problems, but now my server will be move to a new server (cyrusone, according to the support rep). So far, the support are always answering my questions regarding this migration. I'm just a little worried what will happen after the migration next week cause I have some clients now on my reseller account (I started selling space last year), plus the works of updating to the new IP address. I hope everything will go smoothly *cross fingers*....

Quote Originally Posted by marvs View Post
    I've been with hostgator since 2008 (reseller account, just for my websites) with no any problems, but now my server will be move to a new server (cyrusone, according to the support rep). So far, the support are always answering my questions regarding this migration. I'm just a little worried what will happen after the migration next week cause I have some clients now on my reseller account (I started selling space last year), plus the works of updating to the new IP address. I hope everything will go smoothly *cross fingers*....
    1. Hope and crossed fingers does not work, or it is what you will be doing after things fall apart.

2. Be safe, have daily backups on hand everyday from this point on.

3. Research other reputable hosts and keep them very close.

No point wasting energy changing IP's and such to a failing system, when you could use the same energy with a host that you could work with for many years ahead. Communicate with your customers about the move and possible issues. If it happens once, most of them will have no problems with it. If you have to do it repeatedly.........hope and crossed fingers (see #1).

No, it doesn't.
    Since 2012 you should read it as "We have been eaten up by the competition"

Since it got took over, it doesn't eat up anything other than money and spits out total crap!

Na, do they hell, they use to be goodish, but now, the typical unlimited host limits are in place and it's being run like a typical unlimited host company, shambles

My experience with Host Gator was not a good one.

What I always find amusing is the assertion that Hostgator was good pre-EIG (before summer 2012). But it wasn't.

- lousy dedicated servers on congested network, a "me too" offering
    - horrible OpenVZ VPS on overloaded nodes, another "me too" offering
    - losing domains - "oops, sorry dude"
    - shady-as-hell affiliate program
    - overloaded reseller servers
    - selling snake oil "SEO" hosting

It wasn't that good then, either!

Now it has those problems, and EIG screwed up the only thing it was any good at ("unlimited" shared hosting).
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    Since 2012 you should read it as "We have been eaten up by the competition"
    They don't get eaten up by the competition anymore - they get beaten up by the competition, instead.

Earlier they were good, but off late they have a lot of downtime due to which they are loosing their goodwill in the market.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor