Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bluehost transfer to a new cPanel is a pain!

It is the first time we have encountered this..

How can we migrate the cPanel files of the user from them? I have seen in the forums that they have a disabled the default cpbackup.

Please advise on how to proceed with this... the customer is not really happy with them and they want to move out quickly..
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

If they disabled default backup may be they allow backups on requests.
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Contact BlueHost to provide a full cPanel backup. Your new hosting provider can also do cPanel to canel transfer with just username and password.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

We are the new cpanel hosting provider. We have done that.

They have disabled cpback up.

Bluehost have there own cpanel backup. It is not your typical one. Bluehost have customized their cPanel, and the actual backup that you can download will not work with your another standard cpanel.

We have issues similar to this thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1128359
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

What CMS is your customer using?
    How about the old fashioned way, copy over ftp, export the CMS database, import into the client's new account. Some tweeking to make it work and you are all set.
    Have you tried that ? Or you insist on the cPanel feature?

The user have 3 CMS in one account / Wordpress/Joomla/concrete5.

How can we copy through FTP?.. do you mean we copy the content of Public_html manually and put it directly to the new cpanel account?

btw, Thanks for your suggestion.
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

Their backup isn't a normal one to restore on cPanel servers. You would need to manually move the files (all files under public_html) to your New server via FTP. Take the dumps of all databases and restore them in your New account. If you have Email accounts, you would need to create email accounts and copy the 'Mail' folder. Not sure if it syncs 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by killerlipz View Post

It is the first time we have encountered this..

How can we migrate the cPanel files of the user from them? I have seen in the forums that they have a disabled the default cpbackup.

Please advise on how to proceed with this... the customer is not really happy with them and they want to move out quickly..
    User WHM > Transfers > Transfer an account using the account password .

We have done it multiple times for BlueHost accounts and the largest one was about 6GB , I think. It takes time, but works great.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    ASN 132335 - India - USA - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine - Germany
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    Pay via - PayPal, Payza, Skrill, Credit/Debit Cards (USD / INR)

Quote Originally Posted by ishan View Post

We have done it multiple times for BlueHost accounts and the largest one was about 6GB , I think. It takes time, but works great.
    Okay.. am trying it now.. hopefully it works.. I'll post the result...
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

If you have access to the files and database you can move them manually.
    Stop, Think and then React. Not React, Stop and then Think

Okay.. am trying it now.. hopefully it works.. I'll post the result...
    It still doesn't work:

Copy an Account From Another Server With an Account Password
    Attempting to copy userdomain from boxXX.bluehost.com

Trying to fetch cpmove file via cPanel XML-API!
    Fetching current backups from remote server......0 backups found...Done
    Starting the backup...Done
    Waiting for backup to start...Done
    Checking remote server for backups.....0 backups found.
    Failed to start the backup on the remote machine (if a previous backup is in progress you will need to wait until it is complete)!
    (Trace information follows for backup start request)...

/xml-api/cpanel?xmlin=<cpanelaction><apiversion>1</apiversion><module>Fileman</module><func>fullbackup</func></cpanelaction>

(Trace information follows for initial backups)...

(Trace information follows for backups after request started)...

Failed to fetch cpmove file via cPanel XML-API.
    Trying to fetch cpmove file via ftp+cgi!
    Attempting to login as userdomain to boxXX.bluehost.com via ftp
    Login ok
    Uploading Htaccess
    Uploading Wrapper
    Uploading Dectector
    Uploading Packager
    Uploading Downloader
    Uploading Killer
    Chmoding scripts
    Fetching http://boxXX.bluehost.com/~userdomai...cgi?userdomain (connected:0).......(request attempt 1/12)...Resolving boxXX.bluehost.com...(resolve attempt 1/65)......connecting to Ipaddress.. @ipaddress......connected......receiving...Error 500 while fetching URL http://boxXX.bluehost.com//~userdoma...cgi?userdomain
    Fetching http://boxXX.bluehost.com/cgi-bin/cp...cgi?userdomain (connected:0).......(request attempt 1/12)......connecting to Ipaddress.. @ipaddress......connected......receiving...Error 404 while fetching URL http://boxXX.bluehost.com//cgi-bin/c...cgi?userdomain
    Unable to get uid of remote account...(trace information follows)...

Might do it manually... this is really a headache!.. anymore suggestion?
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

I Think if they don't allow c panel backup, then you can manually backup your site like first back up all files and databases etc. I know it is very time consuming but it is good alternative if bluehost does not provide back ups.

It still doesn't work:

We do it all the time wont take long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by victormeldrew View Post
    Hi,

I am downloading the stuff in:

Website Files
    Your public_html directory

I already have the database from:

MySQL
    MySQL databases and tables

Would that be enough?

Any suggestion on how I can also migrate the e-mails?
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

Hi,

I am downloading the stuff in:

Website Files
    Your public_html directory

I already have the database from:

MySQL
    MySQL databases and tables

Would that be enough?

Any suggestion on how I can also migrate the e-mails?
    public_html should have all the files you need, and if you have the database that's all you need, as for email they should be in a folder called mail and you can download them all then upload them to the new account you create.

Thanks! will give this a try..
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

I haven't tried it lately, but you used to be able to generate a standard cPanel backup archive, bypassing their custom backup system by manually navigating to the following URL once logged into cPanel:

https://cPanel_URL:2083/frontend/x3/...ullbackup.html

Give it a try and see if it still works.

WoW.. it looks like it's going to work.. I was able to generate.. waiting it to finish.. !
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

Quote Originally Posted by Dant27 View Post
    I haven't tried it lately, but you used to be able to generate a standard cPanel backup archive, bypassing their custom backup system by manually navigating to the following URL once logged into cPanel:

Looking at it.. it seemed that it's going to work.. I am waiting for the backup to finish.. !

Thanks!!
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

Quote Originally Posted by victormeldrew View Post

I'm curious.....how have any of you used the cpanel backup option through BlueHost since they customized their cPanel almost 2 years ago???? BluHost's backup option through cPanel has and the cpbackup command have both been disabled, and if your transferring a large account, it will timeout repeatedly, which will cause overall issues.

OP,

Your best option is manually through ssh, which hopefully you know how to do. Compress what's needed (files, mysql dump, stats files, etc) and transfer it to your account/server and recreate the account. The whole process (if you know what your doing) only takes a few extra minutes than the usual cpanel backup option.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    I'm curious.....how have any of you used the cpanel backup option through BlueHost since they customized their cPanel almost 2 years ago. The backup option through cPanel has and the cpbackup command have both been disabled.

OP,

Your best option is manually through ssh, which hopefully you know how to do. Compress what's needed (files, mysql dump, stats files, etc) and transfer it to your account/server and recreate the account. The whole process (if you know what your doing) only takes a few extra minutes than the usual cpanel backup option.
    I was talking about WHM on a normal cPanel server. You can use the transfer with account password option. We did this a few days ago for a client and worked great.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    ASN 132335 - India - USA - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine - Germany
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    Pay via - PayPal, Payza, Skrill, Credit/Debit Cards (USD / INR)

I was talking about WHM on a normal cPanel server. You can use the transfer with account password option. We did this a few days ago for a client and worked great.
    I know the option and use it all the time on cPanel servers...just not with BlueHost...so I would say your lucky.

The set of transfers I tried through them didn't work. Maybe they "un-customized" the option after getting complaints.

I personally found it as a way to hijack accounts;

1. force people to download accounts the hard way (save to computer and then upload to new host)

2. pay an invisible company to do the work for you, which I think was $300 or $400

I am still doing the

https://cpanel_url:2083/frontend/x3/...ullbackup.html

I have already generated the backup.

The page actually has this comment on the top:

Full Backup

A full backup will create an archive of all the files and configurations on your website. You can only use this to move your account to another server, or to keep a local copy of your files. You cannot restore full backups through your cPanel interface.

I'll give feedback again if this is successful..

But I wonder why bluehost needs to do this.. it somewhat shows the customer that they want to tie them up..
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

I hope it works as I did the manual method just a few days ago with them. Would love to have a good workaround! fingers crossed!

But I wonder why bluehost needs to do this.. it somewhat shows the customer that they want to tie them up..
    It is negative for the customer, but for the host, it saves them a lot of resources.

Imagine, simple network issue, sites down, upset customers. Now a large handful of customers find another host and start running full backups.....

Moving a cPanel from Bluehost isn't this hard - we do a few per day - just a slightly different process.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Moving a cPanel from Bluehost isn't this hard - we do a few per day - just a slightly different process.
    Would you care to share your method?

... - just a slightly different process.

...and that's what separates those who click an icon or use commands.

Everything you need is contained in the BH backup file. It is possible to "create" a working backup file from the BH file, but that isn't much faster than doing a manual transfer with the assets from the BH file.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Everything you need is contained in the BH backup file. It is possible to "create" a working backup file from the BH file, but that isn't much faster than doing a manual transfer with the assets from the BH file.
    Modifying the backup file is as simple as extracting it, going a folder or two deep [don't remember off-hand, have a script that does it now], changing the name of the folder, then putting it back into an archive. If you're clever you can restore it without even having to re-archive it .

Our script re .tar's the backup just to keep it simple and to make it easier to move/manipulate and then we store it for a few days after restoring it just in case [you never know].

Modifying the backup file is as simple as extracting it, going a folder or two deep [don't remember off-hand, have a script that does it now], changing the name of the folder, then putting it back into an archive. If you're clever you can restore it without even having to re-archive it .

Our script re .tar's the backup just to keep it simple and to make it easier to move/manipulate and then we store it for a few days after restoring it just in case [you never know].
    Looking at a BH backup file, I see what you're getting at now. Much quicker than the method I've been using LOL. I have a generic backup file that I've been dumping specific files/directories from the BH backup into, much more time consuming than your method.

I hadn't realized that the full structure of the backup was maintained in the customized file. Thanks for pointing it out.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

You're not the first one to look at the backup and not see the 'easy way' to do things. A couple of my techs also have done restores the hard way before I showed them to work smarter and not hader .
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Alright.. it seemed that the migration is good.. everything is in it's proper place..

But now when i go to the url of the customer..

I kept getting/downloading a file with this..

application/x-httpd-php5 (45 bytes)

I think i might need to edit httpd.conf on this.. any safer suggestion?
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

All is okay now.. FIXED..
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

You're not the first one to look at the backup and not see the 'easy way' to do things. A couple of my techs also have done restores the hard way before I showed them to work smarter and not hader .

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Looking at a BH backup file, I see what you're getting at now. Much quicker than the method I've been using LOL. I have a generic backup file that I've been dumping specific files/directories from the BH backup into, much more time consuming than your method.

I hadn't realized that the full structure of the backup was maintained in the customized file. Thanks for pointing it out.

Question....how did you get a backup file from BlueHost? Is it similar to a regular cpanel backup file which has the whole structure if one wanted to do it the long way.

Question....how did you get a backup file from BlueHost? Is it similar to a regular cpanel backup file which has the whole structure if one wanted to do it the long way.
    You can go to the following URL once logged into the BH cPanel to generate the standard cPanel backup archive:

You can go to the following URL once logged into the BH cPanel to generate the standard cPanel backup archive:

Diabolical. They disabled the icon but not the actual function. That's funny.

This question goes to those that have done transfers through ssh;

Since the page still works and it's hidden from the panel, why doesn't the ./pkgacct command work?

Diabolical. They disabled the icon but not the actual function. That's funny.

This question goes to those that have done transfers through ssh;

Since the page still works and it's hidden from the panel, why doesn't the ./pkgacct command work?
    Some servers - this 'trick' won't work - but there are still other methods .
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

This one is the one that worked for me.

You will get the typical cpanel backup that you can migrate to the other server.
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

Man!.. just want to say thanks to you!
    "ADDICTED TO TECHNOLOGY"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast