Best virtualization software?

Sat here for 5minutes debating whether to throw this in the software section or the VPS section. Move it if you wish.

Just figured i'd open a thread up for debate over virtualization software for machines running multiple operating systems on different VPS'.

Running Vmware ESXi at the moment and want to try out something new.

Open to all suggestions and/or debate!

Most people using solusvm I guess
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    Most people using solusvm I guess
    Any idea why? Because of WMwares pricing or what? I'm currently on a free license of ESXi so I haven't dealt with their renown extraordinary prices of ESX(last time I checked it was like $400/month for 10VMs).

Never used Solus before but heard a lot about it. Do they have a free license? And is it cross-platform friendly? Some of my VMs are windows and some are linux.

It can work with windows and linux , Price you can see

http://solusvm.com/pricing.php
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Quote Originally Posted by HostStratus View Post
    Any idea why? Because of WMwares pricing or what? I'm currently on a free license of ESXi so I haven't dealt with their renown extraordinary prices of ESX(last time I checked it was like $400/month for 10VMs).

Never used Solus before but heard a lot about it. Do they have a free license? And is it cross-platform friendly? Some of my VMs are windows and some are linux.
    You can use Xen(HVM) or KVM for both and SolusVM support both virtualization.
    ExonHost - In Business Since 2009 - 24/7 Real Support | Multiple Locations
    █ NVMe SSD | cPanel | LiteSpeed - Accelerate Your Website, Maximum Performance!

SolusVM is cheap, so you can get $10/m for your master and $10/m for your slave node. and KVM would be the best option for you!
    Cloudzy
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Bitcoin VPS | Forex VPS
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, PerfectMoney, CryotoCurrency and Bitcoin
    In business for more than 14 years - Since 2008

SolusVM is not a virtualisation platform. It only manages virtual server nodes.

I would recommend using Xen or KVM. we use Xen and it is extremely reliable and robust. What kind of VM's are you running?
    ViralVPS.com - Linux & Windows Xen VPS Servers
    10Gbps Connection | Netherlands Location | IPv4 & IPv6
    SSD Cached RAID10 Storage | Instant Setup! | Bitcoin Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
    SolusVM is not a virtualisation platform. It only manages virtual server nodes.

I would recommend using Xen or KVM. we use Xen and it is extremely reliable and robust. What kind of VM's are you running?
    Some are linux some are Windows, not high usage. Most of them will be responsible for running a java based server program with a steady load.

Whats the difference between the master and the node? And what's the chain of command?
    Normally you have a base OS on the machine, such as centOS, THEN on the OS you install your management software as well as the Virtualization software such as xen/kvm....right?

Some are linux some are Windows, not high usage. Most of them will be responsible for running a java based server program with a steady load.

Whats the difference between the master and the node? And what's the chain of command?
    Normally you have a base OS on the machine, such as centOS, THEN on the OS you install your management software as well as the Virtualization software such as xen/kvm....right?
    Yeah, you're right. Ignore SolusVM unless you are wanting to sell VPS's. The physical server runs the hypervisor, be it Xen or KVM, Xen refers to this as the Dom0, then each virtual machine uses the extra resources available on the server, these are known as DomU's.

The best thing about Xen or KVM on CentOS is that it is completely free. You get an Enterprise virtualisation solution for nothing. CentOS recently started a Xen repo for Xen 4:

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/Xen4-01

You could give that a go, it's really easy to set up.
    ViralVPS.com - Linux & Windows Xen VPS Servers
    10Gbps Connection | Netherlands Location | IPv4 & IPv6
    SSD Cached RAID10 Storage | Instant Setup! | Bitcoin Accepted

I agree with Mike. I specifically like KVM for the one off installs and we've tried about every hyper-visor out there. VMWare is a great product but the ease of use, and quick load times of KVM just make it the preferred HV for us, when we're not deploying to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by mike86 View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Ignore SolusVM unless you are wanting to sell VPS's. The physical server runs the hypervisor, be it Xen or KVM, Xen refers to this as the Dom0, then each virtual machine uses the extra resources available on the server, these are known as DomU's.

The best thing about Xen or KVM on CentOS is that it is completely free. You get an Enterprise virtualisation solution for nothing. CentOS recently started a Xen repo for Xen 4:

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/Xen4-01

You could give that a go, it's really easy to set up.
    What do you mean a Xen Repo?

I might not be selling VPS' but I'll definitely end up running solus on the machine for remote control of the nodes(some of these nodes would be leased to clients).

Citrix Xenserver in my opinion is the best, as using CLI the host provider have more options to control the vps node (compare to solusvm).
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

If you are not selling VPS and need linux VPS (CentOS, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu), OpenVZ is a great choice. You share the CPU among all your VPS and can re-size VPS disk and RAM on the fly without a reboot. We have been using OpenVZ for a number of clients that would have ended up with multiple dedicated servers. They now have multiple virtual servers on their own dedicated server.

With OpenVZ, you do not need any control panel either. vzctl can do everything for you from the shell.

Since OP you are using vmware ESXi, you can provision a Linux VPS and install OpenVZ on it. And then you can run multiple linux VPS inside that. That's VPS inside VPS Vmware ESXi is great a product.
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by webx View Post
    If you are not selling VPS and need linux VPS (CentOS, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Ubuntu), OpenVZ is a great choice. You share the CPU among all your VPS and can re-size VPS disk and RAM on the fly without a reboot. We have been using OpenVZ for a number of clients that would have ended up with multiple dedicated servers. They now have multiple virtual servers on their own dedicated server.

With OpenVZ, you do not need any control panel either. vzctl can do everything for you from the shell.

Since OP you are using vmware ESXi, you can provision a Linux VPS and install OpenVZ on it. And then you can run multiple linux VPS inside that. That's VPS inside VPS Vmware ESXi is great a product.
    Right, but I would rather get away from Vmware ESXi, not a big fan of it. Actually, just got rid of it on one of my machines as of today.
    What advantages does OpenVZ have over Xen? And visa versa?
    Does OpenVZ allow windows AND linux nodes?

Linux only

Right, but I would rather get away from Vmware ESXi, not a big fan of it. Actually, just got rid of it on one of my machines as of today.
    What advantages does OpenVZ have over Xen? And visa versa?
    OpenVZ is strictly linux. So if you need Linux + Windows you'll need to go with Xen or KVM. Hyper-V by Microsoft is another choice for Linux + Windows VPS on same node.

As far advantages of one on another, it really depends on the use. There isn't one that will fit for all situations. In the cloud Xen and KVM are pretty popular, so it would be worthwhile to look into them.
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

Try SolusVM or Virtualizor. Most of providers using SolusVM but i prefer Virtualizor.

The problem I'm having is figuring out what to do when it comes to nesting. I have a machine sitting here I want to test SolusVM out on. So I booted up a fresh centOS install, installed xen using this: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualiza...virtualization

So I setup Xen HVM with the kernel line set to my desired resources for a new VM. This is my only machine so it's a slave. So below are my individual VM's listed out right..? I feel so lost, never been familiarized with SolusVM or Xen as a hypervisor. Any explanation/help is appreciated.

So now I have something along the lines of:
    [root@server1 ~]# xm list
    Name ID Mem VCPUs State Time(s)
    Domain-0 0 1024 1 r----- 18.9
    [root@server1 ~]#

Quote Originally Posted by BeastVM View Post
    Try SolusVM or Virtualizor. Most of providers using SolusVM but i prefer Virtualizor.
    And how well does Virtualizor integrate with WHMCS?

You shouldn't install any hypervisor (ie Xen/KVM) before installing SolusVM - SolusVM takes care of this for you.

First get a VPS with a clean CentOS install, and install the Master with no virtualization (option 1): http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...ing-Master.htm

Then do a fresh CentOS install on your dedicated server, and follow the instructions here to install the Slave: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...ling-Slave.htm

But before doing any of the above, read the following:
    Installation notes: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...tion/Notes.htm
    Requirements: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...quirements.htm
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise & Semi-Dedicated Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, Acronis | PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 & 8.0
    Fully Managed SSD KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers | CloudFlare & Acronis Partner | RIPE LIR

Best virtualization software?

Quote Originally Posted by George_Fusioned View Post
    You shouldn't install any hypervisor (ie Xen/KVM) before installing SolusVM - SolusVM takes care of this for you.

First get a VPS with a clean CentOS install, and install the Master with no virtualization (option 1): http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...ing-Master.htm

Then do a fresh CentOS install on your dedicated server, and follow the instructions here to install the Slave: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...ling-Slave.htm

But before doing any of the above, read the following:
    Installation notes: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...tion/Notes.htm
    Requirements: http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...quirements.htm
    You're a very patient and helpful person. Finally got a semi proper solusvm installation going. Thanks mate. Cheers!

Virtualizor + openvz or kvm...

Virtualizor has a great support !