chicken egg problem moving DNS hosting

I successfully moved my DNS hosting from 1and1 to namecheap, but ran into a problem that I want to learn more.

In order to transfer DNS hosting, namecheap instructs me to first set my domain's nameservers to point to namecheap's nameservers.

Then, they want to send an authorization email to [email protected] and wait for my response to prove I own the domain.

The problem is, once I changed the nameservers, the email on 1and1 no longer works, so I cannot receive any email sent to mydomain. And even though namecheap can forward email, it wouldn't start working until *after* they authorized the DNS transfer.

In the end I contacted namecheap's support and they authorized the domain hosting without me having to respond to the authorization email.

I just want to know what is the normal way to do it without contacting support on namecheap?

The only possible solution I can think of is to remove the private domain registration from 1and1 (whois guard) and hope that namecheap would offer to send the authorization email to the domain registration owner's email, rather than root or something at the domain I'm transferring DNS.