Installing Wordpress on unmanaged VPS

I am about to purchase a unmanaged VPS from WareHive. I want host 5-6 wordpress site on them. The combine traffic of all the sites wont be more than 1000 visitors a day. I want some suggestions from you guys :

1)I have never done a server management for webhosting but comfortable with ubuntu. Is it too much of hardwork to self manage the VPS? (I am a hobbyist programmer and enjoy all these technical stuff.)

2)The hosting provider do not have 24*7 support. Connections are 100 mbps not 1 gbps. Will these two things make muchdifference?

3)Any good tutorial on configuring my server for hosting wordpress for multiple sites?

4)Any review on the hosting provider WareHive ?

Thanks in advance friends.
    Last edited by rsmahanti; 11-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.

2)The hosting provider do not have 24*7 support. Connections are 100 mbps not 1 gbps. Will these two things make muchdifference?
    It's depended on your user bandwidth use.
    In your case with 1000 visitors a day , it is big enough!

I do not recommend to go for self-manage vps.

Hosting WP can produce a lot of work from optimization to security. You need to put some protection in your vps since WP is known to get attack.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

(1) It is very easy to self-manage a VPS if you have the inclination to do so. If you are proposing to install nginx you can use the auto-installers provided by Centmin Mod and EasyEngine. I find EasyEngine better than Centmin Mod because it also installs Wordpress and configures the permakinks to work with nginx. The other alternative is to use the step-by-step tutorials given at Linode Library and Digital Ocean.

(2) This makes no difference at all. Install Quick Cache and your pages will load faster;

(3) If you are installing apache, it is a simple issue of configuring the virtual hosts and the enabling mod-rewrite nodule for the permalinks to work. The same is the status with nginx with the vhost config requiring slight tweaking.

(4) No. But check the offers section at WHT & LEB for mouth-watering deals before you finalize.

I'd advise against self-management if you do not have all the skills to handle this.

A decent setup you're looking at Nginx as a reverse proxy, php-fhm, apc opcode caching (although I may be a little dated on that, I may have read on HN that there an integrated one from Zend now). You'll also need to tune mySQL, and correctly, a lot of suggested config values can easily lead to DOS (noticed only one D, because its so easy - with just one consumer - to exhaust memory via too high concurrency values leading to aggressive swapping and meltdown). If you're getting to 100mbit+ then its time to leave the silly caching plugins and looks at Varnish and moving all CDN assets to CloudFront etc.. don't goldplate the boilerroom yet.
    MattF - Since the start..

If you want a Control Panel (unnecessary, though it makes things easier for a newbie) install VirtualMin. A very capable Control Panel which will automate website creation (folders, virtual host, DNS), script installation (PHPMyadmin, Roundcube), mail set up (including reverse DNS and SPF records), essential software (Anti-Virus, Spam etc).

Make sure you have at least a 1GB RAM VPS because the CP will consume RAM.

If you planning to go for un-managed server, prefer to have atlest cPanel.
    Managing your VPS using cPanel will make your work lots easier.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

I wont go for control panel, I won't be able to learn much if I do so. I have installed LAMP stack on ubuntu. I have configured wordpress on my window machine. All those things were not much difficult.

But those were just experiments, this time the purpose is commercial. so I have to be careful.

I have month left on my hostgator shared hosting. I will configure and secure everything , and move out all the site one by one within the month.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmahanti View Post
    I am about to purchase a unmanaged VPS from WareHive. I want host 5-6 wordpress site on them. The combine traffic of all the sites wont be more than 1000 visitors a day. I want some suggestions from you guys :

1)I have never done a server management for webhosting but comfortable with ubuntu. Is it too much of hardwork to self manage the VPS? (I am a hobbyist programmer and enjoy all these technical stuff.)

3)Any good tutorial on configuring my server for hosting wordpress for multiple sites?

1. If you are comfortable in Ubuntu then this could be a great learning experience, especially since this is what you love doing. It's not much hard work at all unless the server isn't configured at all then it can be a pain to try and fix it and getting it ran. Most unmanaged hosts will respond to a ticket trying to help you resolve it and wont say no.

2. 100Mbps should be fine as most hosts actually use this other than 1Gbps, as long as the network isn't all flooded and crowded

3. TONS! There are a ton of different tutorials out there for things like this, but there are different control panels, situations, it's what your comfortable with. If these websites are making you a good amount of money and you want to make this an easy process then you could go as far as, getting yourself a cPanel license, litespeed VPS edition, and configure it from there.

Now, if you want how I would do it I will link it below.

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...gle-ubuntu-vps

4. Sorry, not any that I can find.
    ██ EludedHost.com | High quality hosting at an affordable price!
    LiteSpeed | CloudLinux | Softaculous | Daily Backups
    Meeting the demands of high traffic websites with no compromise!

1. Yes go for it if you are willing to learn. I suggest securing SSH first (public key authentication, disable password authentication), blocking all inputs in your firewall and then open ports for http, https, DNS and SSH. Offload mail to something like google apps and only run an MTA for the odd outgoing message from your server.

Use SFTP instead of FTP.

2. No it won't make any difference.

3. If you already know basic linux commands then start by learning about name virtual hosting using Apache.

BTW it is a lot of work to learn all this from scratch and put it into production use right away. But if your name is mahanti then you must be a hard worker

Thanks for the link. I will start to follow the tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoo View Post
    1. If you are comfortable in Ubuntu then this could be a great learning experience, especially since this is what you love doing. It's not much hard work at all unless the server isn't configured at all then it can be a pain to try and fix it and getting it ran. Most unmanaged hosts will respond to a ticket trying to help you resolve it and wont say no.

2. 100Mbps should be fine as most hosts actually use this other than 1Gbps, as long as the network isn't all flooded and crowded

3. TONS! There are a ton of different tutorials out there for things like this, but there are different control panels, situations, it's what your comfortable with. If these websites are making you a good amount of money and you want to make this an easy process then you could go as far as, getting yourself a cPanel license, litespeed VPS edition, and configure it from there.

4. Sorry, not any that I can find.

@Xenoo : Thank you. Every thing worked fine. Just took couple of hours to do all those things + propagation time.

@Xenoo : Thank you. Every thing worked fine. Just took couple of hours to do all those things + propagation time.
    No problem, good luck with what your doing.
    ██ EludedHost.com | High quality hosting at an affordable price!
    LiteSpeed | CloudLinux | Softaculous | Daily Backups
    Meeting the demands of high traffic websites with no compromise!

I remember the time when my wordpress site outgrew the shared hosting.

I was frightened and spent quite a few dollars for managing, setting up and such. But then I discovered Kloxo manel. It's free and if you know how to use cPanel you already know how to use kloxo. Might take a minute or five to get used to rather cumbersome interface but it performs quite well.

So for the price of shared hosting you can have an entry level vps with free panel that would serve your needs and have no limitations on modules, load (within your plan) and shared hosting abuse.

Go with free panel.

---> Self-management is recommended in case you have technical background of server management. If not, then go with managed solution provider.

---> And that's the major issue with a lot of hosts available.

---> See this guide:
    www(dot)codex(dot)wordpress(dot)org/Create_A_Network
    www(dot)digitalocean(dot)com/community/articles/how-to-set-up-multiple-wordpress-sites-using-multisite

---> Not sure about it. Better to go with WordPress cloud hosting.