Unhappy VPS.NET raise the price of Tokyo node.

Hi, guys!

I got a mail for vps.net today. They said they will raise the price of Tokyo node. I think it's not worth to use their server anymore. It's over my budget. My budget is up to 250 USD/mo (around 17 nodes for vps.net). It means I have to pay extra cost for 85 USD. I have to do a choose transfer my server to others. So
    I need a Japan cloud but the price is limited to 250 USD/mo or less. Is anyone have better idea?

--------------------------------------

We hope this finds you well. Over the last year our Tokyo Cloud has seen several increases to local costs; which we’ve absorbed. This email is to inform you that, due to further increases, we will be raising the price of your nodes in Tokyo by $5/mo per node, from your next billing cycle.

Whilst we appreciate price rises are never welcome, we recognize the importance of our Tokyo data centre to you. We believe that we are still one of the most competitive companies offering cloud services in the area. With the recent upgrade to 512MB nodes for all customers, coupled with our fully redundant cloud service, we continue to provide you with a truly competitive offering.

We also offer a semi-managed service for all our customers, and all new server builds also include free snapshots. We also continue to innovate and we have a number of new products launching in the next few months, such as our newly released WordPress Cloud product, so watch this space!

Kind Regards,
    The VPS.NET Team
    ---------------------------------------

They always do that. It is not really healthy.
    Last edited by net; 11-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Well - costs do go up.

Look at what you pay for a loaf of bread today compared to last year or 5 years ago... A gallon of gas... A candy bar at the store.

If they don't take action to maintain profitable you won't be looking for a new host because prices increased - you'll be looking for a new host because they went out of business due to no longer being profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    They always do that. It is not really healthy.
    They have a promotion 50 off for the nodes at two months ago. Now increase the price. Is it a conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHuang View Post
    They have a promotion 50 off for the nodes at two months ago. Now increase the price. Is it a conspiracy?
    Promotions will exist regardless to get new people on-board.

Many times they don't make money on a promotional price - for example if you sign up for HostGator with their $0.01 first month coupon - they certainly aren't going to make anything off of you for that month. They're likely going to lose money on you in order to get you on-board.

Whether or not they run promotions to attract new customers has no bearing on their base pricing and whether it's profitable for them or not.

If yo are OK with Singapore location, you can get a Softlayer dedicated server from their reseller 100TB.com

They are running daily offer these days. Check out their website to get a decent offer like free upgrade to double RAM etc.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Host will no longer in service if they cannot make profit from their business.
    Price increase is normal for those with investment in their hardware and network.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by ravi_9793 View Post
    If yo are OK with Singapore location, you can get a Softlayer dedicated server from their reseller 100TB.com

They are running daily offer these days. Check out their website to get a decent offer like free upgrade to double RAM etc.
    In Tokyo you also have Linode, you may find Linode provisioning better and thus require less nodes even if you have same spec. (Linode customer for 3yrs, stability wise unbeatable). AWS also operate in Tokyo but may not fit your usage pattern.

Further out, SimplerCloud in Singapore (I'm a relatively new customer) but initial impressions are pretty good, though a little concerned that they may offer a special for LEB market. Also HostVirtual Hong Kong my node been stable for ~1yr and they are rock solid in support and infrastructure.
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    In Tokyo you also have Linode, you may find Linode provisioning better and thus require less nodes even if you have same spec.
    Thank you for mentioning Linode. Yes, Linode can be another great alternative.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Just a small calculation, if you can have 17 nodes for 250USD a month, IMO that's actually not expensive, because you would pay 200USD for 10 nodes on their website - which means you get a fairly big discount already.

I've never really looked into hardware, co-location and traffic pricing in asia in general, but I would also expect it to be more expensive there than EU and US.

In Brazil you get less than 4 nodes for 250 US$. And each node gives only 100 GB of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting4Real View Post
    Just a small calculation, if you can have 17 nodes for 250USD a month, IMO that's actually not expensive, because you would pay 200USD for 10 nodes on their website - which means you get a fairly big discount already.
    Totally agree. That is very cheap price already, less than than $15/month per node.
    Not sure how much RAM per node the OP uses but it looks like a good price for quality service.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise