CloudStack Setup Problems

Hi.

I'm trying to setup a small cloud using CloudStack for VPS service provisioning. I have installed and configured management server as well as a single host running KVM. I've followed the steps mentioned in installation guide but there are a few problems. I launched the setup wizard which comes up at first login to UI. It got stuck in step "Creating system VMs" for a few hours but never completed. Now from UI when start any of 2 system VMs, it says "Failed to start". Also there is unready CentOS 5.5 template.

Questions:
    1. Why system VMs don't start?
    2. How can I force a zone to re-initialize in order to rebuild system VMs?
    3. How do I add more templates?
    4. Can I offer a service whith 2 virtual disks each of which provided on different primary storages?

Any help or guide is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

The most likely reason for the system VMs not starting (I had this issue) is that you have downloaded and registered the wrong templates - I was following someones blog to start off with, that was for an older version of CloudStack, thus I downloaded a current CloudStack release from the repos but previous system VMs using the links from the blogs.

If you are following a blog post, just use the official CloudStack guides....I had everything up and running in no time after that.

Cheers,

P.S. Personally, I found CloudStack to be a little to 'green' for any serious usage - and all I was after was a small development lab. I came across a number of bugs and annoyances.

I ended up switching and using oVirt, whilst this still has a few problems and perhaps lacks somethings that CloudStack does well (I like the system VMs, once working), it has provided me with a more stable dev environment.

Hi.

My zone is now setup. However system VMs status' are kept in "Starting" but using command "virsh list --all" shows s-1-vm is running.

Questions:
    1. How do I troubleshoot system VMs?
    2. Won't my cloud run without system VMs?
    3. Where and how do I get OS templates? Is there any public repository?

Please a CloudStack experienced guy answer me!
    Thanks in advance.

^^^

I'd put money on you having the wrong system VM templates for your version of CloudStack.

1. Without the console System VM up it is hard to, the system VMs are designed to nuke themselves and redeploy if there are issues on their own. Providing you have the right template, which I have a feeling you don't.

http://xmodulo.com/2012/05/how-to-lo...em-vms-in.html

2. No, you need the Console VM (for console access) and the Secondary Storage VM for secondary storage, i.e ISOs, templates, etc. It will also deploy virtual router VMs once you start deploying VMs.

3. You build your own from snapshots, there are many 'how to'

Hi.

I went for Cloudstack just because I wanted a system using which I can provide VPS service with different disk types on the same server. I have a server outside of DC that management server runs on which has a SSD and a SATA 2 disk. Am I in the right way? Will cloudstack allow me to create service offerings with usage of different primary storages?

Regards.

Pass, after spending a few days playing with it (and finally getting my system VMs up, configuring and deploying templates) I went else where - there were too many problems.

I used the below eventually to fix my system vms, as I had the wrong templates, whilst probably not strictly the issue you are seeing this explains how to download the correct templates for the latest cloudstack release and clear the cache from the DB:

http://cloud.kelceydamage.com/cloudf...-2-dragon-kvm/

Hi.

How can I force Cloudstack to redeploy system VMs? The command mentioned the above link does not exist. However the CentOS 5.5 template is now downloaded but when I go for creating a test instance, it says "Unable to create. no deployment found". Also in rge management-server.log shows "found 0 network...", "found 0 router..." and etc.

Please help setup this small cloud. More longer time to start using this cloud means more wasting money as per that server are paid but not used.

TIA.

Hi.

It seems there's no community forum where I can find solutions to my problems! Please assist me!

When I was deploying CS private cloud some time ago only place to get some quality info was their mailing list. Also their own install guide was best source but there were few points at times unclear. So I referenced previous ver install guide to compare. Did at least 5 installs from zero untill all worked kind of ok.

Hi.

I have reinstalled management and agent servers a lot of times. Lastly ended up with that it needs more IP addresses. But don't know how many reserved IPs it needs. How many IPs should reserve?

If i remember correctly that's for management network then and I reserved private subnet behind physical router.

Hi.

After a few days at last I ended up with a cloudstack setup on which system VMs and virtual router are running. I just created a new instance. The new VM can reach the internet but is not reachable from outside. How do I troubleshoot this issue?

Please help me to get it up and running.
    TIA

CloudStack Setup Problems

Quote Originally Posted by iMiMx View Post
    P.S. Personally, I found CloudStack to be a little to 'green' for any serious usage - and all I was after was a small development lab. I came across a number of bugs and annoyances.

I ended up switching and using oVirt, whilst this still has a few problems and perhaps lacks somethings that CloudStack does well (I like the system VMs, once working), it has provided me with a more stable dev environment.
    100 % agree Cloudstack needs loads of work and is a nightmare to keep running smooth.
    HostusPocus | VPS Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Shared Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Global Datacentres - Premium Low Latency IP transit.
    ISO 27001 Accredited | 24/7 Magical Support

I have been working with CS from version 2.x but have not experience any major problems (a proper planning and execution is highly required before deployment). Most of the nightmare's are due to incorrect planning and setup otherwise it works like a champ.

After a few days at last I ended up with a cloudstack setup on which system VMs and virtual router are running. I just created a new instance. The new VM can reach the internet but is not reachable from outside. How do I troubleshoot this issue?

I guess it should be due to network security groups (CS security groups for basic network acts like a firewall, so you need to configure the ingress/outgress ports to connect your new VM with outside world.
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development