What does it mean when somebody says "We have our own data center"

Some times I can see expressions like

" I have my own data center "

" We have our own data cetner "

A data center is not some thing like having your own house or car . It should be very expensive NO?

Do people in US or canada have their own data centers?

May be they lie
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

Maybe they do not understand what Data Center is.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Anyone that advertises their own Data Center is possibly using one these "Centers";
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails badwiring.jpg   theugly.jpg   IMG_2473_w500.jpg   Wiring_BAD.jpg  
    Last edited by WPCYCLE; 10-31-2013 at 11:36 PM.

They may actually mean that they operate out of leased space/power from a datacenter facility.

Re: What does it mean when some body says " We have our own data center"

Or their basement..
    WebHosting should be easy, it should just work.
    Durb.co Web Hosting

I'd rather brag about using a quality DC, like Leaseweb, PhoenixNAP, or AtlantaNAP.
    Not a junk budget location. Or worse, mom's basement.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

May be they mean that they had taken leased space/power from a data center facility. For their Racks.

It simple means they have their own lot of dedicated servers. Can't be sure enough if they are genuine enough to claim that, since the cost of maintaining the same is fairly high. If you are looking for a hosting company consider their service, up time.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

They have own DC in the bathroom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2689683484_501abe3d27_o.jpg  
    ADELINAhost.com - Since 2012. Web Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Servers in more than 10 locations
    Locations: USA, Netherlands, France, Germany, UK, Canada, Czech, Singapore, Japan, Australia, Russia & Ukraine.
    24/7 Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee | Linux and Windows

Most hosts lease their servers in third party data centers but many web hosts own their own DC as well...
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements
    || Web Hosting Discussion - A Web Hosting community

Google is your friend, if you want to know if someones claims are true just research it. More importantly, google their company name and add the keyword "issues" or "problems" on the end. Having their own dc, even if true doesn't mean they are a good provider. Using google to find out what, if any issues customers have with them will give you a much clearer picture of their service than anything else.

As has already been pointed out, anyone can claim to have their own DC, even if it is just a 2 sq ft space in a corner of their bathroom. What matters is how the service is, no matter where it's located. So first priority before signing up with any company is to check their service record and reputation first. Then make your own informed decision based on your needs, budget and what potential problems you're willing to live with if you choose a cheaper host.

The old adage never fails... you get what you pay for. So if you want the best service/uptime that you can get, you need to be prepared to pay a decent price for it. Otherwise you are gambling.
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com

its about the infrastructure etc

when they say they have their own data centre that means they have all the facilities of a data centre
    also,they are not a reseller of any data center trying to sell you something on a small commission
    also they take the full responsibility of the data centre

with the rise in cost not many people own /have a data centre so many of them work on a franchise/reseller basis

also,a person who clams to have his/her own data centre knows that he has a upper hand over the resellers

Quote Originally Posted by AdelinaHost View Post
    Why does this exist?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by whmxtra View Post
    The old adage never fails... you get what you pay for. So if you want the best service/uptime that you can get, you need to be prepared to pay a decent price for it. Otherwise you are gambling.

Although there are exceptions with some of the "under the radar" hosts that have a better track record and lower cost than some of the big hosts. But as you said, hit or miss. Some figured out how to make it work, some, even with good service fail.

Some times even if you own part of it also you can claim you have your own data center. so you take care maintaining your servers in that part.

48-14 there is no such things as a good "under the radar" host. It's not possible. If their service is good word of mouth alone will skyrocket their business and they will become popular. Those types of hosts are good while they are small, but once they start getting a larger market share that level of service drops because they either can't keep up with the volume or they have to hire more staff which increases costs, which either increases the end cost to the customer or requires massive overselling or any number of things that will take that host down.

Between myself, my two partners and the rest of our staff we have 30+ years in dealing with webhosting/servers (not actually being hosts, we don't do that sort of thing) but fact is every hosting/server company tends to start out good and fizzle out unless they learn how to charge a decent price to keep up their level of service.

You really do, literally, get what you pay for. If you want the cheaper prices you have to sacrifice something in return, either uptime, quick support or something. There is no middle ground there, less money means less expensive equipment and bandwidth or less staff or staff that may not have enough knowledge to actually help you.

There's always something sacrificed in those cases. That is why it's important to research any company you want to do business with. Find out what, if any, real issues there are and then make up your own mind if that's something you can live with. If not, up your budget and find a better host.
    Tara Roberts
    www.whmxtra.com

Quote Originally Posted by whmxtra View Post
    48-14 there is no such things as a good "under the radar" host. It's not possible. If their service is good word of mouth alone will skyrocket their business and they will become popular. Those types of hosts are good while they are small, but once they start getting a larger market share that level of service drops because they either can't keep up with the volume or they have to hire more staff which increases costs, which either increases the end cost to the customer or requires massive overselling or any number of things that will take that host down.

Between myself, my two partners and the rest of our staff we have 30+ years in dealing with webhosting/servers (not actually being hosts, we don't do that sort of thing) but fact is every hosting/server company tends to start out good and fizzle out unless they learn how to charge a decent price to keep up their level of service.

You really do, literally, get what you pay for. If you want the cheaper prices you have to sacrifice something in return, either uptime, quick support or something. There is no middle ground there, less money means less expensive equipment and bandwidth or less staff or staff that may not have enough knowledge to actually help you.

There's always something sacrificed in those cases. That is why it's important to research any company you want to do business with. Find out what, if any, real issues there are and then make up your own mind if that's something you can live with. If not, up your budget and find a better host.

There are exceptions and there's a difference between low cost and cheap.

A large percentage of the hosts including myself are under the radar compared to what the general public knows. The general public knows HostGator, GoDaddy, and 8 of the usual suspects, which nowadays are all EIG...and again with the exception since go daddy is one of 9 that's not under EIG. But I know, this is twisting quality vs quantity.

Take WiredTree for instance...general public never heard of them = under the radar. Look at RamNode, reviews after reviews of praises, still under the radar. Myself...a customer posted to their readers about their new under the radar host after leaving one that everyone knew.

There's also other other hosts that have done well acquiring customers and never changed their pricing and service stayed the same. They figured out a formula that works and stuck to it, even within expansion. Hire knowledgeable staff to accommodate the growth. Hire monkeys for cheap, and as you said and as we have seen on here, a quick road to shutting down.

When you look up social activities of active bloggers, they will complain about their host, which tends to be one of the 10...people will suggest to move to another one of those 10, and the site owner will pick one of those 10....only to complain in some months and go with another one of those 10. Only when they do research or receive a strong suggestion do they end up here looking for help or move to a quality host that is still under the radar to the general market.

I've seen hosts on here, $40 a month with good reviews fall apart, but yet the $5 a month of the same service, 2-3 years later, no issues, and some in that range that have been on here for many years, no issues. We won't count the others that just turned on a server and hoped for the best.

My previous career was music, same thing. Fast Forward to today (although this was always the case at the grassroots level) the talented artists are on youtube = under the radar. They charge less but will focus on their fans. The artist on the radar, garbage music and could care less of their fans (sounds like some hosts).

Some times I can see expressions like

" I have my own data center "

" We have our own data center "
    The above statement means company may have their own storage center within location and they manage all the hardware and software for their client (can be managed or unmanaged). Those who have their own data center can provide custom managed services to their clients. A data center require high speed lease line.
    ⓐ➒AlphaNine Networks / Datacomm / GSP

Shared hosting | cPanel reseller | VPS | Dedicated Servers | SSL | VOIP | GSP | Management |
    99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Easy Control Panels | Operating Since 2000 |

This document provide some info about the difference between a data center compare to a Computer room.

http://datacentersblog.com/wp-conten...puter-Room.pdf
    Alan Woo, alan [@] newmediaexpress.com
    = NewMedia Express Pte Ltd (AS38001)
    = Dedicated Servers in Singapore | Hong Kong | South Korea | Thailand | Malaysia | Indonesia
    = Singapore > speedtest.sg | Jakarta > id1.newmediaexpress.com | South Korea > lg.newmediaexpress.co.kr

Quote Originally Posted by AdelinaHost View Post
    lol. Good for those days when I've ate too much Taco bell and can't leave the commode all day.

I can at least occupy myself with working on the servers.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com

There are some hosts though that do actually own their own datacenter. Hivelocity is one of them AFAIK:

https://hivelocity.net/datacenter/

It still doesnt mean you should trust them though based on that alone. They may be great at hosting but terrible at building a datacenter. A vast majority of webhosts simply lease space from places like equinix, latisys, coresite, etc.

We are building out our own facility at the moment - it should go live in the next few weeks. It's only a small datacentre compared to most (120 racks) but the biggest thing it gives us is control over the service we're providing to our clients. On its own, having a datacentre doesn't necessarily indicate quality but it does mean you're not dealing with a reseller of a reseller whereby you can end up with problems of somebody's else's causing further up the chain.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra View Post
    We are building out our own facility at the moment - it should go live in the next few weeks. It's only a small datacentre compared to most (120 racks) but the biggest thing it gives us is control over the service we're providing to our clients. On its own, having a datacentre doesn't necessarily indicate quality but it does mean you're not dealing with a reseller of a reseller whereby you can end up with problems of somebody's else's causing further up the chain.
    "Micro Data centers" are the new breed of technology over the past 15 years technology has gone ape the amount of speed, power and resources you can fit into a single 1U box these days is impressive just look at the Raspberry PI's 512MB Ram, Ethernet and everything the days of these massive built out buildings with power hungry servers sporting IDE drives is long gone. A big data center means more resources and over heads I think people fail to realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    "Micro Data centers" are the new breed of technology over the past 15 years technology has gone ape the amount of speed, power and resources you can fit into a single 1U box these days is impressive just look at the Raspberry PI's 512MB Ram, Ethernet and everything the days of these massive built out buildings with power hungry servers sporting IDE drives is long gone. A big data center means more resources and over heads I think people fail to realize that.

But also take this into consideration, renovating an old center to accommodate smaller machines means...more machines.....more $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    But also take this into consideration, renovating an old center to accommodate smaller machines means...more machines.....more $$$$$.
    Depends on your business model, the over heads while the reminding space is unused is still present such as building insurance and general upkeep costs then if you don't build out the electrical capacity to cater for extra space you'll need upgrades and at least a couple more generators so you'll need the capital to do said works there's a lot to bringing a small facility online never the less one which houses 1,000s upon 1,000s of servers. Personally I'd rather have multiple facilities on the same industrial site than a single big one just sitting back for the eventual capacity to be met.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Depends on your business model, the over heads while the reminding space is unused is still present such as building insurance and general upkeep costs then if you don't build out the electrical capacity to cater for extra space you'll need upgrades and at least a couple more generators so you'll need the capital to do said works there's a lot to bringing a small facility online never the less one which houses 1,000s upon 1,000s of servers. Personally I'd rather have multiple facilities on the same industrial site than a single big one just sitting back for the eventual capacity to be met.
    That makes sense. I'm only referring to exiting centers that already have servers and could switch over to 1u servers. Your example almost sounds like your saying filling an empty center until it's full. Then of course that would be a complete waste and poor planning from whoever owned that center. A large center can either be split up and rented out to companies that need such spaces, or filled with more 1u's. The power requirements could easily be could easily be accommodated with the right planning. There's thousands of structures that have gone through some form of retrofitting for either more power or upgrades.