New to Colocation, Looking for a DC in Sacramento, CA

Hi everyone,

I'm new to colocation and currently have a dedicated server at SoftLayer. I am considering purchasing the hardware myself and having it hosted at a nearby data center.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple 2U server (running an Xeon E3-1270 with 6x600gb 15k rpm drives)?

I am not sure how many amps that would require.

I found Raging Wire in Sacramento but a search on here didn't turn up much about how good or reliable they are or what their pricing is like.

Can anyone recommend anyone or warn me about any company in particular?

Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

NTT just bought a controlling interest in Raging Wire. Haven't used them (Ragingwire) directly but have heard good things. Suggest you reach out-
    Getting Cloudy in the US, Europe, & South Asia.
      0 Not allowed!

Raging Wire will only do half and full cabinet options. I would suggest Connexinternet.com. They offer great per U options in Sac.
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - colocation, dedicated and cloud quotes
      0 Not allowed!

Ragingwire is probably not a great choice for 2U. Even if you found a reseller willing to sell 2U, it's going to be much more expensive for comparable setups in other facilities. Post-merger, their prices might go down a bit. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Are you set on Sac? There are a ton of other good data centers within a reasonable distance of that region, like San Jose, Milpitas and SF.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers
      0 Not allowed!

For specific areas take a look at http://www.hostvoice.com/colocation-web-hosting-quotes/

I submitted a request there the other day for my specific location and was quite impressed with the replies I got. HostVoice is also owned by iNet(owner of WHT) and for that reason I trusted them with my contact info.
      0 Not allowed!

Is Sacramento a requirement? Do you really need to be that close? You might find some good hosting deals in Las Vegas if you don't need to touch your gear, even if you buy your gear yourself. Just a thought regarding a competitive market.

Alan Howard << removed >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 11-05-2013 at 01:35 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies!

I was thinking of trying to stay in Sacramento so that I could personally perform any maintenance or on-site changes that are needed.

As being completely new to colocation, is there a significant disadvantage at not having quick access to the box? I was imagining that it would be a big advantage to be able to jump in the car, drive for around 15-20 minutes and be at the box, any time of the day.

Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

iStreet would be a reasonable choice. Surewest is there but not sure whether they do so small. Also Sungard, but again not sure they do so small.
    Everett Thompson, CEO - "Largest list of data centers on the planet." Strategy, Design, Brokerage, Finance
    US Data Center List
    International Data Center List
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTurtle View Post
    Thank you everyone for the helpful replies!

I was thinking of trying to stay in Sacramento so that I could personally perform any maintenance or on-site changes that are needed.

As being completely new to colocation, is there a significant disadvantage at not having quick access to the box? I was imagining that it would be a big advantage to be able to jump in the car, drive for around 15-20 minutes and be at the box, any time of the day.

Thank you.
    Just find out from who ever you colo with; what exact remote hands are offered for free and what they consider paid remote hands.

FYI the machine you mentioned with those specs will most likely push over 2A 120v, so find out what they charge per extra amp and if they could test the power draw in front of you with a kill-a-watt meter.
      0 Not allowed!

Of the three large high end enterprise class full service 24x7 staffed data centers in Sacramento area- Raging Wire (1200 Striker Ave, Sacramento), QTS formally Herakles (1100 North Market Blvd, Sacramento) and Sungard (1085 Sun Center Dr, Rancho Cordova) probably the only option for a single server collocation is QTS through a hosting company like VPLS or Ripple Web. Herakles used to go as small as half cabinets and community cage space but since QTS took over, I’m not sure they are interested in that type of business with their more enterprise focus nowadays. Raging Wire is clearly the gorilla in the market with over 500K sq./ft. of raised floor, making it one of the largest data centers in Northern California. The next biggest in Sacramento is the nearby QTS data center at 52K sq/ft, which seems tiny in comparison.

There are a number of small carrier grade data center options that offer limited service/support and limited redundancy include Telepacific formerly O1 (1515 K Street, Sacramento), Level 3 (1075 Triangle Ct, West Sacramento & 1005 North B Street, Sacramento), XO (1390 Lead Hill Blvd, Roseville) and Surewest (5115 Arnold Avenue, McClellan & 7656 Old Auburn Road, Citrus Heights) where you might be able to pick-up something small like a half cabinet at a decent price from time to time if they are feeling hungry. All of these can be solid options for a no frills collocation solution and they all have solid networks with big pipes.

The remainder of the market is made up of small boutique data centers that can be flexible to deal with but by virtue of their size have distinct trade off’s in price, service options, redundancy, bandwidth options, security, reliability, etc. These include iStreet (1075 Triangle Ct, West Sacramento), Webion (2999 Gold Canal Dr., Rancho Cordova), Quest (4235 Forcum Ave, Sacramento), Datacate (2999 Gold Canal Dr, Ranch Cordova) and Lanset/DataNOC/Hostik (10321 Placer Lane, Sacramento). Most are heavy on the value added services side and less interested in simple space/power/connectivity collocation but will do it. iStreet is focused on application hosting service and are located at the opposite end in the same building as the Level 3 data center. Their chief upside/downside is only having single homed bandwidth with Level 3, which actually is about the best single homed solution you can get so maybe not a real downside. Webion is focused on managed services but appears to have a weak network with single homed tw bandwidth. Quest has the best network of the small guys with a BGP blend of Surewest, Cogent, tw, and XO and Datacate uses an Integra/XO blend.
      1 Not allowed!