Thumbs down [EZPZ] A bloody nightmare

Read that title with a British accent will ya?

I will post the screenshots below and you should realize why I am so frustrated. These people are normally a breeze to work with, but every now and then they have hiccups like this where they show zero interest in helping you what so ever. Not to mention their lack of customer service what so ever. I got transferred from agent to agent until finally I get told to go fix it on my own. I only use their reseller platform for small webdesign/web project customers(not more than 10 accounts). Regardless though, they still expect their site to be online. And because of this 48 hour nightmare I had 2 days of complaining customers with nothing to tell them except please keep waiting.
    Thoughts/advice/opinions welcome. Or feel free to welcome a suggested reseller to transfer to that has real customer support.

Code:
    Chris Byrne || Client
    Hey guys, sorry to bother ya, but the nameservers STILL aren't working properly on my end. I can't access any of the domains with the new name servers. Such as http://tahititansgp.com

--------

Hi Chris

Please ensure these domains are using the private nameservers in the DNS Zone. This can be checked by going to Edit a DNS Zone within WHM.

If you need any more help, please let me know.

Regards,

Jamie

---------

Chris Byrne || Client
    Yes they are indeed http://puu.sh/5421g.png

---------
    Jamie K || Staff
    Hi Chris

I have now added the DNS again as there seemed to be an error. This should now be working correctly.

Regards,

Jamie

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    What exactly did you do? The same problem is on all domains I own such as powerbot.biz,sacrosanctgf.com,erelectricservice.com,etc.
    ---------
    Jamie K || Staff
    Hi Chris

The DNS zones seem to have been removed so need to be recreated. I have added the nameservers again from within WHM under Add a DNS Zone.

Regards,

Jamie

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    Did you do so for all accounts? Because several accounts still are not working properly. Such as http://*******.biz/
    ---------
    Steven C || Staff
    Hi Chris,

I am flagging your response for Jamie, please standby.

Regards,

Steven

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    Okay, I have figured out the problem and I'm on the same page as you guys now. It appears when you guys did the migration to this new account that all DNS info was lost with it or something. There are currently only 4 DNS records showing in WHM(and those 4 accounts work), the remaining WHM accounts STILL need DNS zone files to be added so they can work as well. Please do this ASAP, all my sites have been down for ~48hours due to this. I am trying to be patient and understanding.
    ----------
    Justin Y || Staff
    Hi Chris

Please provide a list of accounts that need recreating and I can run this in a script. 

Regards,

Justin

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    As I said, the list is too big for me to type out. Please re-run it for ALL accounts other than **********.com. Thank you.
    -----------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    Here is a list if you really need one: 
    ************.biz
    ************.tk	
    ************.com	
    ************.biz	
    ************.biz	
    ************.biz	
    ************.biz	
    ************.com	
    ************.net	
    ************.com	
    ************.com	
    ************.biz	
    ************.com	
    ************.com

------------
    Justin Y || Staff
    Hi Chris

Thanks for this. We're working on it now. 

Regards,

Justin

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    Any update on how long this is going to take? Im looking for something to tell my current customers. I have 2 people at the moment wondering how long til their site is back online. Please get this fixed ASAP and tell me how long it's going to be, I'm trying to be patient because you guys have been an ease to work with so far.
    ---------
    Steven C || Staff
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

I will have someone update you on this as soon as possible, thank you for your patience in advance! 

Regards,

Steven

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    It's Halloween guys! My customers are scared & frightened! All their sites are down due to a silly problem and it's been over 48 hours now. Help them! This feels like a nightmare!
    -----------
    Steven C || Staff
    Hi,

I do apologize for the delay on this, Justin will have an update for you shortly. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Steven

---------
    Daniel K || Staff
    Hi Chris

This would have just been due to your other account being cancelled, removing the DNS from the cluster.
    *Something they did without notifying me, they did it just voluntarily assuming I no longer wanted to keep paying for the old account

To resolve you'd just need to go to 'Add DNS Zone' for each domain on the account, we're not able to do this from our side.

Regards,

Dan
    -----------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    I don't have the zone files nor do I have the time to recreate the DNS for EVERY account I have. Jamie said she could run a script to do it. Can you please provide me with an easy way to do this or how to do it? 

Would it be easier to just go to a backup before this happened? I dont care what we do but my customers are getting angry...This problem has kept all sites offline for over 48hours. Please help Dan!

-Chris

-----------
    Daniel K || Staff
    Hi Chris

There isn't a script that can do it, the only way to do it is the method provided previously. As the DNS is clustered they can't be restored from a backup.

Regards,

Dan
    *Wait, didn't his colleague just get done saying she was running the script to do just that?
    ------------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    So how do I do this? I've never messed with DNS nor do I know how to. If you could please reset the DNS all to the original EZPZ name servers I'd appreciate it, thanks. I will probably just mess it up further.

-----------
    Justin Y || Staff
    Hi Chris

It is simply 'reset dns zone' in WHM. 
    *Which only works for existing accounts in the DNS cluster, its as if Justin has no idea what the heck is going on....

Regards,

Justin

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PUT IN WHM. How many times must I explain this? I don't know how to properly do this. Please, I beg you. Reset the following accounts for me in WHM:
    **********.com 
    **********.tk 
    **********.biz 
    **********.biz 
    **********.com 

please just do those 5 client accounts and I will delete the other accounts(the rest are unused accounts that arent needed)

Can you please do that for me? 5 accounts, is it really that much to ask? I don't know what to put and I'm afraid I'll mess it up. 

Thanks
    Chris
    Comments in red.
    I don't know what to make of this ticket after re-reading the whole thing, I'm trying to be reasonable and I'm trying to be understanding of the issue as I always try to be. We're all humans and we all make mistakes. But I just had 48 hours of downtime to something THEY did - THEY deleted my other reseller accounts after I asked them to migrate all of the accounts over to the new reseller account(upgraded plan on different domain). In fact, they didn't even ASK me if I wanted the account deleted, they just went ahead and did it after they finished migrating the accounts. And because of this my site and cleints' sites have suffered the worst Halloween nightmare ever - And it still continues.

I can't wait to see where this goes from here...

Here's what really happened:

1. You had an existing account on a US server, all of our US servers use the same DNS cluster. This was working fine.
    2. You ordered a new package on another US server so you could use a promo code getting you a larger discount.
    3. You asked for all accounts to be moved over, which we did.
    4. You cancelled the old account with the cancellation reason "Please cancel this service as well as the attached invoice that is not due yet, thanks.", this was automatically processed and the zones were deleted from the DNS cluster.

We've told you in the ticket exactly what you need to do, the DNS zones have been deleted automatically due to the cancellation and promo code hopping. You just need to recreate them from within WHM, you only need to enter the domain and IP and it's done automatically.

We do a lot of hand holding and helping out with simple tasks or questions, but we're not a managed reseller provider, we don't do everything for you and will often tell you exactly how to fix a problem if it can be done at the reseller level. This way if the problem comes up again you can fix it without having to wait for a response from us.

Code:
    Justin Y || Staff
    Hi Chris

You hit 'reset dns zone' in WHM as previously stated. You do not put in anything. You hit 'reset dns zone' on the selected zone, then hit the save/confirm button at the bottom. 

Regards,

Justin

---------
    Chris Byrne || Client
    It's like you guys are not getting the picture...Justin, THIS ONLY WORKS FOR EXISTING ACCOUNTS IN THE CLUSTER. Please go try to do this and you will see what I mean.
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_EZPZ View Post
    2. You ordered a new package on another US server so you could use a promo code getting you a larger discount.
    4. You cancelled the old account with the cancellation reason "Please cancel this service as well as the attached invoice that is not due yet, thanks."
    That's just in bad taste there. Not many hosts would allow that.
    █ █ █

It's always nice to hear both sides of the story.

@OP - Do you refute what Daniel has said?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It's always nice to hear both sides of the story.

@OP - Do you refute what Daniel has said?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_EZPZ View Post
    Here's what really happened:

1. You had an existing account on a US server, all of our US servers use the same DNS cluster. This was working fine.
    3. You asked for all accounts to be moved over, which we did.
    4. You cancelled the old account with the cancellation reason "Please cancel this service as well as the attached invoice that is not due yet, thanks.", this was automatically processed and the zones were deleted from the DNS cluster.
    You know what Dan, you're right. I just checked my colleagues tickets and it appears she did ask you to delete the other invoice. We wanted to get rid of our old domain and control all accounts from a new domain(and identity,etc). You guys had an active promotion to be upgraded to the next level, if you are trying to blame me for taking that promo code like anyone in their right mind would do well then I'm sorry that you have no basic sense of consumer economics. Any customer is going to take that promotional offer in a heartbeat if they have the opportunity. If you don't want to offer it and you're going to complain about it once someone utilizes it, then don't offer it anymore - it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schonix View Post
    You know what Dan, you're right. I just checked my colleagues sub-account's tickets and it appears she did ask you to delete the other invoice. We wanted to get rid of our old domain and control all accounts from a new domain(and identity,etc). You guys had an active promotion to be upgraded to the next level, if you are trying to blame me for taking that promo code like anyone in their right mind would do well then I'm sorry that you have no basic sense of consumer economics. Any customer is going to take that promotional offer in a heartbeat if they have the opportunity. If you don't want to offer it and you're going to complain about it once someone utilizes it, then don't offer it anymore - it's as simple as that.
    Take a step back and understand that nobody here is placing blame but he was simply letting you know what had happened and why.

Whether or not you canceled and signed up to take advantage of a new promo code or it just so happened that you used a promo code really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Your DNS zones did not disappear because you used the code and they would have disappeared even if you didn't use a promotional code and still signed up/canceled.

The issue is that you created a new account and then the old one was removed which killed the DNS zones as well.

If you ever do this in the future - it is possible to remove an account without killing the DNS zones but it has to be manually done by an admin - you'd need to request it [and they may or may not do it, they do not have to]. If they're not willing to do it - then you would want to download full backups of your sites, submit the cancellation, then have those backups restored to your new account [or any number of other ways to avoid this issue with proper planning.]

Live and learn.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    If you ever do this in the future - it is possible to remove an account without killing the DNS zones but it has to be manually done by an admin - you'd need to request it [and they may or may not do it, they do not have to]. If they're not willing to do it - then you would want to download full backups of your sites, submit the cancellation, then have those backups restored to your new account [or any number of other ways to avoid this issue with proper planning.]

Live and learn.
    Then I guess we should direct this towards Dan, because I submitted a ticket and had the accounts manually migrated by an admin for just this reason, to avoid any problems. I trusted them and left it in their control. And because of that was left with 2 days of downtime.

Then I guess we should direct this towards Dan, because I submitted a ticket and had the accounts manually migrated by an admin for just this reason, to avoid any problems. I trusted them and left it in their control. And because of that was left with 2 days of downtime.
    Without knowing exactly what was discussed it's impossible, as an outside third party, for me to comment or speculate.

I don't see this as EZPZ's fault entirely.

After all, you did mentioned that your colleague requested the old service to be cancelled.
    Also, I doubt that it would take that long to reset the DNS zones. It would probably have taken less time than you creating this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerixe View Post
    Also, I doubt that it would take that long to reset the DNS zones. It would probably have taken less time than you creating this post.
    I don't think that is the problem. The OP stated that he can only reset the zones if they exist. The OP does not know how to create a DNS zone.

EDIT: OP: Under "DNS Functions" do you see an option "Edit DNS Zone"? If you click that, do you see all your domains?

OP: on the left hand column under "DNS Functions" do you see the option "add a DNS Zone" -- if so, click that. If not, we're going to have to do something different.

Next, up at the top your going to put in the IP of the server you are on in the "IP" box. If you don't know the IP simply (assuming you are on windows) open command prompt (windows key and r, then type cmd, hit enter) then type ping <insert working domain here>. You should see something like:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Jacob>ping iwfhosting.net

Pinging iwfhosting.net [64.34.217.27] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 64.34.217.27: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=54
    Reply from 64.34.217.27: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=54
    Reply from 64.34.217.27: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=54
    Reply from 64.34.217.27: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 64.34.217.27:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 38ms
    now you have the server IP. In my case, it is 64.34.217.27.

After entering that number in the "IP" box, type in the domain in the "Domain" box. Do NOT include http or www -- so for instance, I would enter in iwfhosting.net -- next, select the user that the domain belongs to (in the "Account Selection" area). Then click "Add Zone"

You should be good to go!
    Last edited by iWF-Jacob; 11-01-2013 at 02:19 AM.
    -Jacob
    iWebFusion [AS397373] - 6 US datacenters offering shared, reseller, dedicated, VPS and Colo
    California (x2) | Oregon | Iowa | North Carolina | Nevada

You requested the accounts to be moved, you then submitted a cancellation request for the old account.

We don't monitor cancellation requests closely and we certainly don't have a way to tell if you have DNS zones you'd like to keep.