Own both .com and .net of a domain... which to use?

Hey all,

I've just registered a domain to build a technology related website from the ground up. To maximize traffic, I registered both .net and .com, but now I have to decide which one to focus on. The other will just be used as a redirect.

While I realize that .com is generally far more desirable, the name of the domain itself makes it sound kind of funny.

Tech-Mom.com

vs

Tech-Mom.net

I thought that since it will be a technology blog/review site, the .net might work better than the .com.

Thoughts?

-L

Its upto you really. Its hard to predict which one will perform better.

I would personally go with the .com and just add a redirect on the .net

At the end of the day, its really upto you since its unlikely to create a big issue.

Just make sure you advertise one domain everywhere instead of both.

Re: Own both .com and .net of a domain... which to use?

Personally I would use the .com and redirect the .net as said above.

Most internet users trust .com's more aswell because they are generally used for the majority of businesses main websites or trading pages unless their business is country specific.
    Jiffy Domains - Affordable & Reliable UK Shared Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting UK
    Features: cPanel | Softaculous | CloudFlare | R1Soft Backups | RVSiteBuilder Pro| 24/7 Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee | PayPal & Direct Debit Accepted

I would go with .com and redirect .net on this.

.com, redirect .net. Basically .net is like a .... B Movie instead of an A Movie.
    1. Mmmmm food...

If you own both the .com and .net the answer is obvious. .com is still king.
    █ █ █

I would use .com if I was you, most people like me would try .com first, you could make the .net a addon domain with a redirect to the .com.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Quote Originally Posted by LauraM View Post
    While I realize that .com is generally far more desirable, the name of the domain itself makes it sound kind of funny.

Tech-Mom.com
    Actually, I think the rhyme here is pretty good. It will help make your domain easier to remember.

"Tech Mom Dot Com" is pretty catchy. Too bad about the hyphen, though. You're going to lose a lot of type-in traffic to techmom.com.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I will say .com as whenever we hear of website the first thing comes to mind is .COM

I would also go with .com and redirect the traffic from .net to .com. If your visitors don't remember the domain extension of your website they will most likely try .com first. It's also easier to remember.

Whatever you do, do NOT park one domain on the other. That can create duplicate content issues...

Quote Originally Posted by NEQ3 - Sam View Post
    Whatever you do, do NOT park one domain on the other. That can create duplicate content issues...
    Yes. This. +1

We get a lot of customers who blame us (the host!) because their website suddenly dropped out of Google. It seems they were trying to make things better and parked a domain or two (or ten) on their account. With cpanel, by default, the same website content is served for all domains parked on the account.

The solution is to create a redirect for the parked domains so they redirect to the main domain.

I wish the cpanel "add domain parking" setup page included a section where you could setup the redirect at the same time. This would avoid all this kind of problem...
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

The .com for sure. And try to purchase the one without the dash if this is something you are going to put more effort.

2c

Definitely the .COM, visitors tend to trust .COM more than other TLD extensions. Normally, the first though would be .COM and it is easier to remember with it.

The highest level of domain name is always the .com and it is the most sought after domain among all others. Just check those big time domain names sold; they're mostly .coms which were priced and sold at millions of dollars. To focus on domains, .com should always be the first. The .net comes below .com and generally speaking, it can't beat .com's position.

I believe you get the fastest and highest rankings in Google with .com.
    It turns out that .net and .org are next.
    your site, the .com will be worth much more.

I would also go for the .com and add a redirect for the .net

.com is definitely much better as everyone is used to it. but if you wanted to be unique then go with .net and redirect the .com
    www.WebHostingPH.com >> Secure, Reliable and Affordable PH Web Hosting Provider

for your safety in the future .com domain is more reliable domain from .net domain because 1st most likely searching is dot com domain before any extension domain.