How do you handle large database for your billing system?

Hello,

If you're in hosting business for years. Your database for storing customers details, tickets, invoices ... shoud be very big. I wonder how can you handle this? Delete old tickets and invoices ... or simply move the entire database to a more powerful server? How big is your database and do you want to keep it ?
    Please share some information with me if you can

Thank you

Depends on if you're facing any issues or not. This thread doesn't really provide much info.

Of course it's recommended to optimize the database, prune old log files, maybe attachments, etc.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

What host are you with? Your hosting provider should help you out.

All the Database problems coming to me are solved by hosting provider of mine so you should also askl him about that....

Quote Originally Posted by anupam27 View Post
    All the Database problems coming to me are solved by hosting provider of mine so you should also askl him about that....
    I think you do not understand what the OP is asking.

He has no problem with his database. He is just asking for ideas about his billing system getting big. Nothing to do with his provider.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by zatoach View Post
    Hello,

If you're in hosting business for years. Your database for storing customers details, tickets, invoices ... shoud be very big. I wonder how can you handle this? Delete old tickets and invoices ... or simply move the entire database to a more powerful server? How big is your database and do you want to keep it ?
    Please share some information with me if you can

Thank you
    Define big for a start.
    How much space your DB is consuming and how much the files ?

We never delete old content (as tickets or invoices) from our system as documentation and having all that data has proven to be critical and very useful in many cases.

The right approach is to hire a DBA to do some optimization (not on a regular basis but more of a one time thing) and if still required to do so - upgrade the resources you need more of.

Please note that if your database is very big, it doesn't mean you will need a "better server" but more likely just more storage.

Good luck.
    Maple-Hosting - Netherlands Dedicated Servers
    Award-Winning Highly-Customizable Dedicated Servers Since 2008

“After 14 months, I can’t give them less than 10/10 on all aspects!” - Read Our Customer Reviews

Thank you for your all feedbacks. My data is not too big. It's around 700MB now but i start finding it hard to import that amount of data. I got tons of errors when importing that data and many tables were lost during the import. I have no ways to understand whats happening. Do you find it hard to import a big data, even its more than some GB ? Do you use any special tool or just use mysql command ? I will highly appreciate if you can share a way to handle this kind of issue

Thank you for your all feedbacks. My data is not too big. It's around 700MB now but i start finding it hard to import that amount of data. I got tons of errors when importing that data and many tables were lost during the import. I have no ways to understand whats happening. Do you find it hard to import a big data, even its more than some GB ? Do you use any special tool or just use mysql command ? I will highly appreciate if you can share a way to handle this kind of issue
    That's the kind of situation where it is likely best to hire a DBA. Someone who knows the ins and outs, understand the errors, and can optimize the database. Optimization will go a long ways.

Make sure your database is backed up, and ideally redundant. That data is EXTREMELY valuable to your company. Without it you're screwed. MariaDB (MySQL drop-in replacement) clusters pretty easily.
    https://mariadb.com/kb/en/getting-st...alera-cluster/

But again, for something so crucial to your business, hire a professional.

This is a general question. You need to be specific on Operating System and the backup tool you tried to create backups of your database. mysqldump is an excellent command/tool for creating mysql database backups from the command line in Linux. It is pretty straight forward to use and could create backups pretty quickly, if you don't have any errors in your mysql database tables.

Thank you for your all feedbacks. My data is not too big. It's around 700MB now but i start finding it hard to import that amount of data. .....
    700MB is indeed small by today's measure. My database is not a "billing" database but it's 20GB and although it's a SQL Server db rather than MySql, I've never had a problem importing or restoring a backup.