Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about a dedicated server at home.

Hi,

I am currently using a VPS for asp that allows me to host my 5 sites and have remote access.

The problem I'm facing is that at peak times my VPS runs very slow which causes a problm for my visitors. I assume this is because the entire server is being overloaded by the hosting company as all of my sites average 4000 pageviews a day.

A remedy that was reccomemnded by the hosing company was to upgrade to SSD which is apparently upto 300x faster? that just does not seem right to me.

The price my hosting company now requires is $85 per month with the upgrade.

Dell's website is offering servers from £250 which I am thinking to host my sites on. I have a backup internet that has 10mb upload and I'm wondering if this is sufficent?

I am also wondering what are the drawbacks to using windows 7 on the server rather than a server edition of the OS.

Any advice or additional information would be appreciated.
      0 Not allowed!

Main problem: Noise. These things make a huge amount of noise.

Power - they're not cheap to run 24/7...
    miniVPS - UK Based Value and Premium VPS Servers!
    Xavvo.com Innovative Hosting for Innovative People!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin-D View Post
    Main problem: Noise. These things make a huge amount of noise.

Power - they're not cheap to run 24/7...
    I have no problem with that at all.
      0 Not allowed!

If your looking to purchase a server you may be better off cololocating the server. I would suggest your get a 1U rack server and just get a 1U colo with a small internet connection. The issue you will run into with consumer ISP service is both latency, TOS with your home ISP provider, and resilency (eg power failure, service failure, etc).

If you colo the server you will still be in a datacenter with redundant/clean power and ISP links for the type of latency you are expecting.

Another thing you can do outside of buying a server or colo of a server is tune your sites. Can they be cached by varnish or equivalent? If they can you can hold fully rendered cache pages in memory which don't need to hit disk or use much cpu resources for page serving. 4k page views a day is not much in terms of volume so the server that you are on is mostly likely highly over provisioned on either/both disk i/o or cpu. You might see if your host is willing to migrate your vps to a less over provisioned server.
    PCLHS | SAS70 Datacenters in New Jersey/Texas
    100TB Dedicated Servers 1U - Full Cab Colocation Complex Hosting Horizontally Scalable Hosting DR/HA Hosting Public and Private Clouds Web Farms Innovative, Reliable, and Responsive
    Contact Us E: mark [at] pclhs.net | W: www.pclhs.net
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think colocation is an idea that would save me money, as I noticed it starts from $65 for a windows server. It's still cheaper than $85, but not an idea that i'm 100% happy with.

I simply need to host 5 sites with remote access and a reliable speed.

A home server would cost me £250 + a few £ electricity, after 6 months the server would have paid for itself.

I just find it crazy to pay $85 per month to a hosting company and they provide me with a slow speed.

Looks like I'll just try the home server, thanks for your help.
      0 Not allowed!

Tim,

No problem, if your going to host it at home I highly recommend you invest a couple dollars into a small UPS as well at a minimum. Home power is "dirty" and servers are very sensitive to power the last thing you want is your new server die due to power drops/spikes the UPS will clean that power so it's steady and ideally give you some time in event of power failure for clean shutdown.
    PCLHS | SAS70 Datacenters in New Jersey/Texas
    100TB Dedicated Servers 1U - Full Cab Colocation Complex Hosting Horizontally Scalable Hosting DR/HA Hosting Public and Private Clouds Web Farms Innovative, Reliable, and Responsive
    Contact Us E: mark [at] pclhs.net | W: www.pclhs.net
      0 Not allowed!

Why don't you just change your host? I have some VPS servers for $7 a month that easily cater 10,000 visitors and 300,000+ pageviews a day. That is WAY safer and less expensive than having a dedicated server at home without any redundancy.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Amitz View Post
    Why don't you just change your host? I have some VPS servers for $7 a month that easily cater 10,000 visitors and 300,000+ pageviews a day. That is WAY safer and less expensive than having a dedicated server at home without any redundancy.
    Really? What's the catch? What's the name of your site?
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Thinking about a dedicated server at home.

Hi Tim, you may also struggle with ip addresses?
    █ • North Hosts Limited - Company Number 8808995 Affordable UK Web Hosting
    █ • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Dedicated • 24/7/365 Support • Instant Activation
    █ • Trendy Site Builder • CloudFlare • Softaculous • Seo Tools • cPanel
      0 Not allowed!

Why not have look at VPS option. Check VPS offers section hopefully you'll find a better offer.

You can use home server too, but there are issues which can create problems for you. Just for an example you are out of town for any work and your server stop responding who will look into it?
    Looking around for some time
    PM me for Website Design and Web Development Work.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1505 View Post
    Really? What's the catch? What's the name of your site?
    I would prefer not naming that website here (Adult content) but there is no catch that I am aware of. Just a little bit of optimization (Nginx + php-fpm instead of Apache).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHosts View Post
    Hi Tim, you may also struggle with ip addresses?
    Hi NorthHosts,

These 5 sites can all use the same IP. your prices look reasonable, but I do not know if I'm going to have the same problem as with my current host in regards to other people overloading the server. Do you offer a money back guarantee? It's not stated on your site.
      0 Not allowed!

My VPS is with Ramnode.com (NL location), by the way. The 512 MB RAM with SSD OpenVZ plan.
    https://clientarea.ramnode.com/cart.php?gid=24
      0 Not allowed!

My VPS is with Ramnode.com (NL location), by the way. The 512 MB RAM with SSD OpenVZ plan.
    https://clientarea.ramnode.com/cart.php?gid=24
    Those prices are really good, I knew those prices on the find a host section was overpriced.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Thinking about a dedicated server at home.

We do yes 28 days, I won't hog this thread though. You may struggle with only 1 ip, if your using a uk isp you may also find your ip isn't static.
    █ • North Hosts Limited - Company Number 8808995 Affordable UK Web Hosting
    █ • Shared • Reseller • VPS • Dedicated • 24/7/365 Support • Instant Activation
    █ • Trendy Site Builder • CloudFlare • Softaculous • Seo Tools • cPanel
      0 Not allowed!

This has been resolved.

Thread Closed.
      0 Not allowed!

So I purchased a windows VPS from ramnode and now I'm being asked to purchase a licence. This can't be right?
      0 Not allowed!

Sure. It is even said on their website:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Web (x86_64)*+
    • Windows Server 2012 (x86_64)*+

*Client is responsible for the license.
    I never used Windows on a VPS but I think that the license costs for Windows are normally the Client's responsibility.
      0 Not allowed!

Sure. It is even said on their website:

I never used Windows on a VPS but I think that the license costs for Windows are normally the Client's responsibility.
    This has now been resolved with great support from ramnode.
      0 Not allowed!

I recommend not to...Too expensive.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1505 View Post
    This has now been resolved with great support from ramnode.
    Great to read!
      0 Not allowed!

If you can afford a brand new DELL server, then I suggest you buy one and colocate it with some reliable provider. You can even buy a tower server, a lot of providers offer tower colocation. I'm not sure 10mbps will be sufficient for a site of that size, that would probably be an easy target for DDoS attacks.
      0 Not allowed!

Which ISP do you use at home Tim?

I know BT's Business Fibre service has 5 static ips, but costs nearly $74 a month for the unlimited, 80/20 service.

I have the residential Fibre connection and the IP seems to change every week, so you'd definitely need a static/business service, not just for the static IP, but also for any service level agreement.

"for BT Business Broadband Network, BT will repair within 24 hours of a Service Failure being reported to the BT Business Broadband technical team"

I think you'd be better off with a decent VPS.
      0 Not allowed!

Imagine now how would you protect yourself from a DDoS attack at home?
    The only way would be to get a remote protection, which will cost you way more than your monthly bill for your dedicated server.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you all with your help.

This has now been resolved by using ramnode's VPS hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast