Thumbs down GoDaddy over-confident or stupid? [review & experience]

Please excuse the extreme title but I feel it suits this.

Around 3 years ago I had an account with GoDaddy, the "great & cheap" domain register, only I discovered it wasn't so cheap after all! I had three .com domains on that account set to renew automatically every year, sounds perfectly harmless eh?

I log onto PayPal, happy as I just got back in from a nice night out with the family; only to discover £900 had taken from my attached Debit Card. I obviously went completely bonkers because I had only registered these 3 domains two months before! I attempted to contact GoDaddy support but proved unsuccessful, it was 3am after all. Next day I phone PayPal and they tell me there was no order/invoice number attached on the PayPal transaction which is a little weird as to my knowledge it always displays it if it's done via their system and not manually. They told me that they couldn't do anything and that I should talk to GoDaddy, I again tried but yet again, no luck! After all of that I decided I'll take it up with my Bank, thankfully they were able to recover the full amount and had blocked all GoDaddy auto-renew agreements on my behalf.

< snipped >>
    Last edited by net; 10-30-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Around 3 years ago I had an account with GoDaddy,... I had only registered these 3 domains two months before!
    Are you talking about something that happened 3 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan White View Post
    Please excuse the extreme title but I feel it suits this.

Around 3 years ago I had an account with GoDaddy, the "great & cheap" domain register, only I discovered it wasn't so cheap after all! I had three .com domains on that account set to renew automatically every year, sounds perfectly harmless eh?

I log onto PayPal, happy as I just got back in from a nice night out with the family; only to discover £900 had taken from my attached Debit Card. I obviously went completely bonkers because I had only registered these 3 domains two months before! I attempted to contact GoDaddy support but proved unsuccessful, it was 3am after all. Next day I phone PayPal and they tell me there was no order/invoice number attached on the PayPal transaction which is a little weird as to my knowledge it always displays it if it's done via their system and not manually. They told me that they couldn't do anything and that I should talk to GoDaddy, I again tried but yet again, no luck! After all of that I decided I'll take it up with my Bank, thankfully they were able to recover the full amount and had blocked all GoDaddy auto-renew agreements on my behalf.

< snipped >>
    Jordan,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I can assure you I will get to the bottom of it immediately. Do you happen to have a ticket id related to this? If not, please PM me your customer ID and I will look your account up that way.

Thank you

Someone comes on the forum, his second post is to bash a company for something that happened 3 years ago? Call me bonkers...but something sounds a little phishy.

I've been a customer of GoDaddy for almost 10 years now, and while I can't say they are the best company I have ever worked with (mostly because of their deep initial discounts, and then not so good renewal prices)...I've been satisfied with them for the most part.

I just don't see them doing something like this...and also the fact that they have 24 hour support and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes to get a rep on the phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
    Someone comes on the forum, his second post is to bash a company for something that happened 3 years ago? Call me bonkers...but something sounds a little phishy.

I've been a customer of GoDaddy for almost 10 years now, and while I can't say they are the best company I have ever worked with (mostly because of their deep initial discounts, and then not so good renewal prices)...I've been satisfied with them for the most part.

I just don't see them doing something like this...and also the fact that they have 24 hour support and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes to get a rep on the phone...
    You're bonkers.

In all honesty, it's not like GoDaddy to do this but the truth is that it happened. This is however a review but I will contact the good chap who responded on behalf of GoDaddy.

Also according to my Bank I was incorrect and the total sum taken was £844.09 GBP, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    Jordan,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I can assure you I will get to the bottom of it immediately. Do you happen to have a ticket id related to this? If not, please PM me your customer ID and I will look your account up that way.

Thank you
    Seems I cannot PM you Ben. I have no clue what my customer ID is nor the Ticket ID, I left my account to die out when this happened.

After thinking a bit which I should have done before, is it possible that I was charged for something I was looking at and as I had an auto-renew agreement it purchased it when I added it to my Cart? all though I don't remember clicking a purchase button.. but it would explain some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan White View Post
    Seems I cannot PM you Ben. I have no clue what my customer ID is nor the Ticket ID, I left my account to die out when this happened.

After thinking a bit which I should have done before, is it possible that I was charged for something I was looking at and as I had an auto-renew agreement it purchased it when I added it to my Cart? all though I don't remember clicking a purchase button.. but it would explain some things.
    Oh, you need at least five posts to be able to PM someone.

Only someone from Go Daddy can tell for sure, although one of them (at least) is also trying to reach out to you. Hope that gets resolved somehow.

Over confident? Not so much
    Stupid? Well, it all depends on the situation
    It does look like this is an extreme situation here. Make that one more post needed, get in touch with Ben, I'm betting he'll be able to help you out
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by culthost View Post
    its very strange... why dont you contact their support. the support tickets are answered immediately.
    He did try to contact their support not sure if it was by ticket or by phone from the review. Hopefully Ben can find the OP and see why that large sum of money was taken.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

I had a problem with godaddy back in 07 where I lost 2 of my domains due to someone getting into my account. Luckily I was on at the time looking at something and was able to stop change my login info after I noticed the domains transferred. After spending 3 days trying to get a hold of them they finally answer and told me they couldn't help me because the domain was transferred to another godaddy account. They wouldn't even look into further, just told me they couldn't help and closed my ticket. After that I transferred what domains I had left and went to a different place.

Godaddy may have gotten better with their support since then, but I never enjoyed their service when I was with them. So this post doesn't seem fishy to me, if anything, it sounds about right.

my 2 cents.
    Last edited by romes; 11-05-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    The Vanguard Project - New Science Fiction/Fantasy novel! Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by romes View Post
    I had a problem with godaddy back in 07 where I lost 2 of my domains due to someone getting into my account.
    This isn't really anything any provider can help you with. Once the domain is transferred out, and approved, you've lost the domain. There's really nothing anyone can do.

Even if the person that did it was also a godaddy customer and accessed someone else's account and stole a domain?

Yup.

It doesn't matter if the person was a godaddy, enom, etc, customer. Once your domain is transferred to someone else, which requires your approval, then you've lost the domain. Nobody can get it back, this is then legally that person's domain.

It's easier if it's going to the same registrar, honestly, when it goes through another registrar, you've got a few days to try to stop it usually.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that their support sucked when I was when them.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    This isn't really anything any provider can help you with. Once the domain is transferred out, and approved, you've lost the domain. There's really nothing anyone can do.
    He he, I can point out "cases" where that scenario was reversed. Name.com documented one in their blog, at least, and I blogged about a few.

There are two difficulties here:

1. Proving that the domain name was taken without the actual owner's knowledge.

2. Proving #1 to the other registrar.

Then of course, it depends if both registrars have a "mutual understanding."

In my ex-registrar life, we handled many cases of that. Sadly we didn't resolve them all, but we at least tried - and got some back.

I believe Go Daddy also resolved a few of that, though I can't remember exact names.

I've always said persistence is a domain owner's most valuable ally when it comes to this situation. That and persistence on the registrar's part.

Anywho, this is probably getting off-topic from the OP's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    He he, I can point out "cases" where that scenario was reversed. Name.com documented one in their blog, at least, and I blogged about a few.

There are two difficulties here:

1. Proving that the domain name was taken without the actual owner's knowledge.

2. Proving #1 to the other registrar.

Then of course, it depends if both registrars have a "mutual understanding."

In my ex-registrar life, we handled many cases of that. Sadly we didn't resolve them all, but we at least tried - and got some back.

I believe Go Daddy also resolved a few of that, though I can't remember exact names.

I've always said persistence is a domain owner's most valuable ally when it comes to this situation. That and persistence on the registrar's part.

Anywho, this is probably getting off-topic from the OP's thread.
    If it helps someone make sense of another thing GoDaddy have done/not done then it's pretty much on-topic as the topic is GoDaddy.

I've not had a chance to during the past week but I'll contact GoDaddy by Phone later today and try to sort it, thats implying they have a UK line which I'm about to find out.