I need help with WordPress and other things

Hi,
    I'll let you know right away that I'm a newbie who's trying to set up a small ecommerce site.

I decided to go with WordPress because everyone talks about how easy it is. And I'm sure it is for people who know about site design.

So basically, I'm lost. I've gone into WP and made some changes ie I changed the stylesheet color in my theme which is Bueno from WooThemes, but nothing is showing up on my site. I'm getting a black page, even when I've made changes. Is there a temporary place it should be showing until my site goes live?
    I know I'm out of my element but I'd really like to do this on my own.

Does anyone know of any tutorials available for newbies that I could use, before I tear each and every strand of my hair out?

The best you;d do is to go find someone who is doing WordPress coding, to purchase a management services and to get to the point where you need, you probably have an idea how do you want the WP theme you got to look like. It is better to spend something on coding and WP design, than to get discouraged.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

You may want to contact the company you got the theme from and ask for help. As long as it wasn't a free theme they'll normally provide basic support.
    Ez Web Hosting providing excellent service since 2000
    Expert Wordpress Hosting & Support
    Web Hosting, ASP Hosting
    VPrivate Servers, VDedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    The best you;d do is to go find someone who is doing WordPress coding, to purchase a management services and to get to the point where you need, you probably have an idea how do you want the WP theme you got to look like. It is better to spend something on coding and WP design, than to get discouraged.
    Thanks. I thought WP was a management service?
    So what kind of company should I be looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
    You may want to contact the company you got the theme from and ask for help. As long as it wasn't a free theme they'll normally provide basic support.
    Thanks. It was free. I had my eye on a paid one, but since I know so little I was reluctant to pay for one. I figured I'd start with a free one to get my feet wet.

Is your website working fine with default wordpress theme??

BTW, if you planning to setup an ecommerece website, I will suggest to try Drupal with ubercart module. Easy to setup and manage.
    In my opinion Drupal is more secured than WordPress.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Many free themes are great. But many of them are not as user friendly as premium themes and they normally don't offer support.
    Ez Web Hosting providing excellent service since 2000
    Expert Wordpress Hosting & Support
    Web Hosting, ASP Hosting
    VPrivate Servers, VDedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by ravi_9793 View Post
    Is your website working fine with default wordpress theme??

BTW, if you planning to setup an ecommerece website, I will suggest to try Drupal with ubercart module. Easy to setup and manage.
    In my opinion Drupal is more secured than WordPress.
    I'm not sure if it's working fine. I guess I need to contact my host to see where I should be viewing it.

Thanks, Ravi. I read about both options on here and the consensus was the WordPress is very secure as long as you add the appropriate plugins. It's also easier to use, which is what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
    Many free themes are great. But many of them are not as user friendly as premium themes and they normally don't offer support.
    Yes. This one doesn't.

Start from WooThemes' own codex pages. I'm not sure if they're helpful, but it's possible to find something there. Google is also your friend if you're using WordPress functions or popular themes.

I'm sure you know about WooCommerce, the ecommerce plugin that WooThemes develops. It's fairly easy to install and set up, and I guess you might be able to change the layout it quite easily. I can't make a recommendation based on this thread, because the choice of a platform depends on your resources and requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    Start from WooThemes' own codex pages. I'm not sure if they're helpful, but it's possible to find something there. Google is also your friend if you're using WordPress functions or popular themes.

I'm sure you know about WooCommerce, the ecommerce plugin that WooThemes develops. It's fairly easy to install and set up, and I guess you might be able to change the layout it quite easily. I can't make a recommendation based on this thread, because the choice of a platform depends on your resources and requirements.
    Thanks! Things actually started looking up. It seems that the reason I couldn't view my changes was because my host has some kind of temporary site over it so people can't view it until it's ready. Makes sense.
    They've installed the Live Preview plug in, so I'm all set.

Also, I found an excellent video online that walks you through step of setting up a site. It's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobberta View Post
    I read about both options on here and the consensus was the WordPress is very secure as long as you add the appropriate plugins. It's also easier to use, which is what I need.
    No doubt, WordPress is easier to use than Drupal. But if you going to setup ecommerece website, Drupal will be easier than wordpress.

Regarding security, WordPress need some basic security steps. But Drupal itself is very secured. You will rarely read, Drupal website hacked, but you can often read wordpress website hacked.
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

No doubt, WordPress is easier to use than Drupal. But if you going to setup ecommerece website, Drupal will be easier than wordpress.
    If you don't have to worry about the layout, you can pretty much install a plugin and go. I guess this is the same with Drupal, but that would make the systems about equal. Or are you talking about something else? What makes Drupal easier?

I'm not a Drupal user myself, but I know there's a couple of well-known ecommerce solutions, and a "quick start" package with one of them.

WooCommerce isn't the easiest to use, but it's quite logical when you get used to it. There are a lot of other choices, some that make simplicity their selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by nettiapina View Post
    I'm not a Drupal user myself, but I know there's a couple of well-known ecommerce solutions, and a "quick start" package with one of them.

WooCommerce isn't the easiest to use, but it's quite logical when you get used to it. There are a lot of other choices, some that make simplicity their selling point.
    I have used both Drupal and WordPress to setup few basic eCommerce websites in past. And from experience, I can say that Drupal is much better compared to WordPress for an eCommerce website.

Drupal has two very popular eCommerce module.
    Ubercart and Drupal commerece.

But I will suggest you to go for ubercart. Very easy to configure and get started.

CMS for Ecommerce site

Drupal is best for ecommerce site, wordpress is preferred for a simpler sites and Joomla is in between the two.

use opencart
    It's the easiest one to customize. It's specifically made to run eCommerce.

Let me be straight forward, use drupal wordpress or Joomla those others if you want to get hacked, if you'd like me to prove it to you, tell me what version your running, so I can download the code, I can scan it with an exploit scanner, then I can scan your website and run the exact same attack on your website...
    Word to the wise, Joomla, wordpress, and Drupal are easy to hack, word press has meta tags that tell you what version you are running too, aswell as a simple scan with an exploit scanner I can hack wordpress, joomla, and I can hack drupal

And from experience, I can say that Drupal is much better compared to WordPress for an eCommerce website.
    What makes it better? I'd like to hear what you like about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudxplore
    Drupal is best for ecommerce site, wordpress is preferred for a simpler sites and Joomla is in between the two.
    There are differences between the systems, but that kind of superficial comparison is just pointless. I'm not sure what you can do in Joomla that you could not do in WordPress. Drupal might be the best development platform of the bunch, but that doesn't really make it all-purpose ecommerce tool.

The choice of a CMS should always depend on the project and the client. You can certainly run a webshop on WooCommerce, Übercart and a dedicated ecommerce platform such as OsCommerce.

You don't use Wordpress for ECommerce!

If you really want to sell things then you get a good shopping cart

But if you want to jump onboard the nifty Wordpress does it all train which goes nowhere then Wordpress is for you.

If you want to get serious then lets talk
    CW3 Web Hosting

Award winning hosting 99.99% Up Time - Low Server population for max performance 24/7.

This is a one month Google stats from a well done Shopping Cart.
    Google 2,326 / 3,709

This website was originally setup from a company that does a one size fits all website solution. They claim to build your website for only $600.
    Every website they build is using Wordpress.
    So the person tried it and they setup a wordpress website with a Cart plugin.
    It did very little in sales and the client was very unhappy after paying a lot more than $600.

I switched them to a good Shopping Cart and the traffic jumped to very good numbers right away as you see from my first line. More important is they do very good sales.

Most are trying to push on you a software they are hooked up with or one that is easy for them to setup.

Wordpress is a blog and although it can be a Website or be setup to do Ecommerce it maybe a jack of all trades but it's only a master of one.

If you have a good product to sell and are serious then a good shopping cart is the only way to go.

A good free cart is Prestashop
    For those that wish less problems then Pinnacle Cart is best.
    Pinnacle cart is costly to own but it will cost less to own over time.
    CW3 Web Hosting

Award winning hosting 99.99% Up Time - Low Server population for max performance 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by vincent_g View Post
    You don't use Wordpress for ECommerce!

If you really want to sell things then you get a good shopping cart

But if you want to jump onboard the nifty Wordpress does it all train which goes nowhere then Wordpress is for you.

If you want to get serious then lets talk
    Serious... yeah, right. That's just good old trashing and ignorance. It's just absurd that every other commenter doesn't know jack and just screams "blog blog blog blog" all over again.

Please explain yourself, and try to form some sort of a rational argument. Someone somewhere didn't once know how to use a CMS... that's just another anecdote. Doesn't prove a thing.

I wouldn't try to sell WordPress as the ultimate ecommerce solution, but that's far from the denial that's going on here. Take a good hard look at WooCommerce, for example. That thing can work pretty well in the right hands.

I think the average person understands you don't enter a mule to race in the Kentucky Derby.
    CW3 Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by vincent_g View Post
    I think the average person understands you don't enter a mule to race in the Kentucky Derby.
    Most will also understand that a thoroughbred looks very silly in a donkey race.

Let's torture the metaphor a bit more. Most individuals and small businesses are racing mules, dogs and other small and relatively inexpensive animals. Your fine horse will just eviscerate them in a competition, but the price money from a dog race isn't going to cover the price of the horse, or the upkeep, or the salary of the jockey.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfv89 View Post
    Let me be straight forward, use drupal wordpress or Joomla those others if you want to get hacked, if you'd like me to prove it to you, tell me what version your running, so I can download the code, I can scan it with an exploit scanner, then I can scan your website and run the exact same attack on your website...
    Word to the wise, Joomla, wordpress, and Drupal are easy to hack, word press has meta tags that tell you what version you are running too, aswell as a simple scan with an exploit scanner I can hack wordpress, joomla, and I can hack drupal
    Of course closed source can be an added layer of security however that doesn't mean it is dangerous to get a standard website done with Joomla and WordPress.
    Last edited by gingir; 11-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.

I think Drupal is good for your business and other thing. WordPress is using for a simpler sits like if we have a small business. So try this.