Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Managed VPS Hosting for small enterprise

Hi Members,
    This is my first post to WHT. I am running a web firm having 150 domains. 20% are corporate clients using lot of emails, 20% websites are eCommerce having heavy usage of bandwidth & rest are just website users.

Currently I am using hostgator reseller plan 1 & having lot of issues. My clients are regularly facing database disconnection, uptime & bandwidth issue. Also many ISPs are not able to open my websites.

I've gone thru multiple post of WHT & thought of upgrading to managed VPS.

Pls suggest between knowhost / servint / futurehosting. I've used servint in past & was quite happy but it was reseller package thru somebody else. So I am not aware about their Support. I am based in India & dealing mostly with local clients.

Budget is around $30 -$50 / mo.

pls help.

Thanks..

Do not choose web host. Create a list of requirements (CPU, RAM, hard disk space, etc) and then try to compare plans that web hosters offer. You probably need cPanel. The license costs around $15/month, which means you have no more than $35 left for the VPS. OpenVZ is probably the cheapest option when it comes to virtualization technology.

Get a VPS with Cpanel, and move them all to your server. OpenVZ would be good for what you need.

Based on your budget, you can choose a low-end dedicated server or a high-end VPS with cPanel.

I am not that technical person which puts me in to trouble to configure right VPS for my need.

Also I am not much aware about OpenVZ. I am using Cpanel since long & quite comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by pranaygl View Post
    I am not that technical person which puts me in to trouble to configure right VPS for my need.

Also I am not much aware about OpenVZ. I am using Cpanel since long & quite comfortable with.
    OpenVZ is a container-based virtualization for Linux. cPanel is a control panel.

There are other containers like KVM, Xen, VMware, etc...

cPanel can of course install in any of these containers.

I'd suggest you don't go with openvz or container based VPS if you really care about your business unless you setup your own server or you know your host business model well which is not oversell. Contact host to see anything they can customize for you rather than look at the standard plan that may not suitable for your situation or business conditions.

Open vz wont work well because you cannot play much with iptables and cannot load own kernels if requried.

Thanks for your reply. Can somebody figure out looking at below table what should I go for.
    System information

Server load 0.02 (24 CPUs)
    Memory Used 27.61% (9,130,268 of 33,074,540)
    Swap Used 3.29% (659,152 of 20,008,956)

Disk information

Device Mount point Usage
    /dev/sda6 /tmp 18% (847,616 of 5,039,616)
    /dev/sda2 /var 49% (95,595,912 of 207,633,000)
    /dev/sda5 / 21% (3,008,720 of 15,118,728)
    /dev/sda3 /usr 69% (25,825,120 of 39,308,728)
    /tmp /var/tmp 18% (847,616 of 5,039,616)
    /dev/sdb1 /home 75% (2,051,603,056 of 2,882,715,968)
    /dev/sda1 /boot 11% (108,564 of 1,032,088)

The table you posted is information for the server your reseller account is hosted on; it's not an accurate indication of what you want, what you need, or what you're using. But, a quick look says your reseller account is hosted on a server which most likely has 12 cores and 24 threads. The RAM on the server, overall, is 32GB. And the space used on the server is 2TB out of 2.8TB available (approximate values).

You said you're currently hosting 150 domains on a plan with 50GB space and 500GB bandwidth allocation. I'd say what you need here is a VPS with a decent amount of RAM, a good connection, and adequate disk space (and transfer allowance) to grow. You also seem to need managed service with a cPanel license. Based on your budget, I'd say (depending on what providers you prefer) you should be able to get at least a 2-4GB RAM VPS with a cPanel license included. Management might be a difficult deal to get in the budget, or if not, you'll get basic management at best. But with a cPanel install, you shouldn't need much management unless you have major issues with the VPS itself or need optimization. That being said, you should go through some providers/offerings on the VPS offers page and shortlist providers that fall in your budget, then look up reviews for those providers.

OpenVZ shouldn't be a problem for you as long as you make sure your host is responsible with their overselling or don't oversell at all.

Go for a webhosting company which has atleast 4gb ram and a dual core processor plus enough bandwidth in that budget...abd also I'd suggest is to keep config as top priority than even if u stretch a budget by 15%

Quote Originally Posted by ControlVM View Post
    I'd suggest you don't go with openvz or container based VPS if you really care about your business unless you setup your own server or you know your host business model well which is not oversell. Contact host to see anything they can customize for you rather than look at the standard plan that may not suitable for your situation or business conditions.
    This is around the third time i've seen you post this and I still haven't seen you back up your outrageous claim with any evidence.

What exactly makes a well run OpenVZ host 'worse for business' than a well run KVM or Xen host?

Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    This is around the third time i've seen you post this and I still haven't seen you back up your outrageous claim with any evidence.

What exactly makes a well run OpenVZ host 'worse for business' than a well run KVM or Xen host?
    Being a VPS provider you should know well how this business run. I had never mentioned about openvz is worse for business, in fact it run pretty well for us, too.
    That's the reason why the statement is "unless you setup your own server or you know your host business model well. There are many heavily oversell host/reseller around WHT, simply because of that jeopardize the whole ship.

Quote Originally Posted by ControlVM View Post
    Being a VPS provider you should know well how this business run. I had never mentioned about openvz is worse for business, in fact it run pretty well for us, too.
    That's the reason why the statement is "unless you setup your own server or you know your host business model well. There are many heavily oversell host/reseller around WHT, simply because of that jeopardize the whole ship.
    Xen and KVM hosts can oversell hugely too if they want - to a consumer the only difference is how well run the company is. The virtualisation type has nothing to do with how well the company is run

Thanks all for their reply & suggestion.
    I am planning to give Futurehosting VM4 plan to try. Its with 2 GB RAM & 4 TB B/W. Pls advise for the same & also let me know Do I need to go for Softaculous & Business Continuance Protection in same plan.

Thanks all for their reply & suggestion.
    I am planning to give Futurehosting VM4 plan to try. Its with 2 GB RAM & 4 TB B/W. Pls advise for the same & also let me know Do I need to go for Softaculous & Business Continuance Protection in same plan.
    All depends on your needs.

Hi All,
    Finally I've purchased VPS from servint. Hope everything goes fine.
    Can anybody pls help to set up my private name server as my domain registrar (Resellerclub)is not helping me out by saying this I need to ask servint as I've not purchased VPS from them.

Pls help.

Thanks
    Pranay

Hi All,
    Finally I've purchased VPS from servint. Hope everything goes fine.
    Can anybody pls help to set up my private name server as my domain registrar (Resellerclub)is not helping me out by saying this I need to ask servint as I've not purchased VPS from them.

Pls help.

Thanks
    Pranay
    Login to ResellerClub.
    Go to respective Domain.
    Click on Child Name Servers
    Type NS1.YourDomain.com and IP in respective BOX
    Type NS2.YourDomain.com and IP in respective BOX

IP is the one provided by ServInt. If they have given you one IP then use the same for both.

Hope this helps.

- Netider

Quote Originally Posted by Hannan View Post
    OpenVZ would be good for what you need.
    Normally the OpenVZ are massively oversold

for 150 domains and ecommerce websites the budget is too small.

For 150 domains and corporate clients you really need to think about performance. Choose wisely on hardware specs offered within your budget and pay attention to close proximity to your clients to give them better connectivity. For eCommerce sites with heavy database operations, you will most likely want to get a provider with high IOPS drives and good CPUs to handle such high concurrent operations on your server.

Quote Originally Posted by NETIDER View Post
    Login to ResellerClub.
    Go to respective Domain.
    Click on Child Name Servers
    Type NS1.YourDomain.com and IP in respective BOX
    Type NS2.YourDomain.com and IP in respective BOX

IP is the one provided by ServInt. If they have given you one IP then use the same for both.

Hope this helps.

- Netider
    Hey netider,
    I did the same. but my site is completely down now. you can check www.vepl.co

Also do I need to use same NS for my other clients.

Pls help.

Thanks
    Pranay

Thanks alex-developer & rogriverac..
    I've already started with Servint.

But thanks a ton for your advice. will definately keep in mind.

Hey netider,
    The DNS on your VPS is misconfigured - it's returning SERVFAIL for that domain. This is something your [managed] provider should fix for you.
    http://intodns.com/vepl.co
    Code:
    $ dig @199.223.208.136 vepl.co

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @199.223.208.136 vepl.co
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 13051
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
    ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;vepl.co.			IN	A

Hey netider,

Also do I need to use same NS for my other clients.

Pls help.

Thanks
    Pranay
    I see that your site is already up. Seems like DNS traverse took some time.

For your clients and your main domain.. you still need to provide your ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com in NameServer option.

I must say go with fully managed vps. Wiredtree and Liquidweb are good providers and have good reviews here as well. Their plans also fit your budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast