droping my traffic off bc of shared server

Hi,

My site has been on a shared server from 1 year ago.two months ago its traffic dropped off from 35k daily to 22k.server manager disputed any problem until I suddenly found multiple red errors on
    onto dns.they fixed the errors after that my traffic was increasing to normal situation but after 1 week it dropped off again and it is continuing to decreasing .server manager says they fixed problem of server and there is not any red problem on onto dns. but I still suspected to them bc I know my site after 11 years of webmastering and it should not be related to my site and
    my audiences. what can I do ? I need your consultation.

There's no way for us to "guess" here if its a server/domain based issue or if it is indeed related to regular traffic fluctuation. Check for error_log files on your shared account, review any other logs available. If there's no DNS problem and the site is loading just fine, chances are its loading fine for others too.
    IroncladServers.ca - Shared.Reseller.VPS.Dedi.Colo
    Solid Canadian & US network, 24.7.365 support, 100% owned & maintained

Thanks for your post ironclad

I don`t know how to Check for error_log files on my shared account, for reviewing any other logs available...

Does it possible that server manager limit my website for consuming resources of the server without telling me ? my traffic was increasing very good.

Quote Originally Posted by babak54 View Post
    Does it possible that server manager limit my website for consuming resources of the server without telling me ?
    If this was the case its very likely that you would be affected by the limitation as well. Are you personally experiencing problems getting onto your site?

I doubt they're limiting your website resource consumption.
    If so, you would have seen it for yourself / by others.

How can you be sure of how much traffic you're getting though? Yes, you can make an estimate. But what makes you think it's a fault with the provider that's causing you to lose traffic?
    TaleHost | Quality Web Hosting | US / Asia
    LiteSpeed | Pure SSD | Softacolous | Automated Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Xerixe View Post
    But what makes you think it's a fault with the provider that's causing you to lose traffic?
    I heard many providers does it. I don`t know what its cause exactly.but may be their server has limited resources and they don`t want or can`t upgrade it.and if they tell me then may be I will have to transfer to another providers and losing customers...just guessing. what you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
    If this was the case its very likely that you would be affected by the limitation as well. Are you personally experiencing problems getting onto your site?
    I am webmastering my site from 11 years ago and I know it and my audiences very well.I was expecting to have 50 k daily visitors these days but I just have 23k .it seems it doesn`t wants to decreasing to less than 23k! just around 23k or may be 24K!. I have not encountered any problems from 2 months ago other than the dns issues as I said.

So I assume you are using Google's Webmaster Tools? No errors there?

In 11 years you have never experienced a rapid decline in traffic? You have been lucky. On sites that we perform Webmaster Services on, for at least the last 10 years, a good many of them have had their rankings suffer drastically, at some point. When this happens we focus on:

-checking to follow all good practice (all the things you read about in webmaster blogs and forums)
    -Check for DNS errors
    -Check error logs (if you have cPanel error logs should be there). If not ask your host to give you a zip of your recent 60 days of logs and look for issues. And correct them.
    -Check Webmaster Tools for errors.
    -Analyze important keywords to see if some major competitor or other shift has occurred.
    -Does your content change much? If not you may have just hit a wall and search engines (one in particular) have downgraded you as no longer relevent. This can be sudden.
    -Do you have any content infractions? Copyright, duplicate content, harvested images, malware, spammy looking content are hot items to be causing SEO ranking downgrades. Especially in recent years.
    -Check out your IP space (not just your address) including the surrounding space to see if it is blacklisted for emailing. There is some speculation that being in a very dirty space might affect your page ranking.

Most of the things that effect page ranking fall under the Webmaster's prevail. But even those that don't are almost always discovered by the webmaster and fixed (if a server issue) at the request of the webmaster. Just because you have gotten this far without a major calamity in ranking, doesn't mean it is someone else's doing. SE's are constantly making changes, you have just been a victim of that. So you need to scour the spectrum of everything server and content wise the find the solution. But if you don't really find the solution, then you need to reengineer your site and really make changes to freshen it all up. Moving might be an option just to rule things out that way.
    Last edited by gPowerHost; 10-29-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: clarification, grammer

Thanks gPowerHost

During 11 years ago I had many declines but not as 50% and nothing any causes for it .last month when I myself found that there was many errors on dns report I did guess that it is the cause of huge decline somethings like before that happened multiple times.but now and after 1 month of fixing the errors my traffic is very less than normal situation and there is not any cause for it.never I have had this situation before...

any way I will try to investigate about the probably causes you mention.I checked up google webmaster.there was some errors from 1 month ago but now I fetched my site successfully.

It is hard work. A bit like detective work. We have a client site about 11 years old that has been declining about 1% per month for a few years. They refused to restore the practices that made them grow in prior years (a cost cutting measure). In September they saw about a 50% decrease and that got their attention. But their path is going to be long and hard. They slowed blog posting, stopped tweeting, mismanaged FB and hadn't upgraded vital text. So now they have to catch up. But at least they know the root cause. But google did let them coast for a very long time.

Good luck in rebuilding. Once you are confident you have found all the problems generally, the solution is just more organic content. Hope your recovery is swift!

Agreed with gPowerHost. Google can be quite picky and its changes are very sudden.Even as much as a change in emphasis in how it ranks pages can create a huge difference for either better or worse depending on the site. I doubt it has anything to do with the host.

For detecting the cause of decreasing so hugely I must write all possible causes and rule out all of them one by one to reach main cause like doctors to diagnose cause of a symptom or detectives .

one of them is limitation by host.is there any way to rule out it without telling host about this issue? is it the log errors that you mentioned? or there are another ways?

If most of the traffic is coming from search engine (i.e. google), it is also possible that your ranking was affected due to recent change in algorithm used by search engines. Also, if your website is throwing any error, it should be reported in Google Webmaster Tools. Google Webmaster Tools is best to analyze any web site error. They report you if they see any error (404, 403, 500 errors etc.) while crawling your website.
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements
    || Web Hosting Discussion - A Web Hosting community

Quote Originally Posted by Kailash12 View Post
    If most of the traffic is coming from search engine (i.e. google), it is also possible that your ranking was affected due to recent change in algorithm used by search engines. Also, if your website is throwing any error, it should be reported in Google Webmaster Tools. Google Webmaster Tools is best to analyze any web site error. They report you if they see any error (404, 403, 500 errors etc.) while crawling your website.
    I checked up google webmaster tools. there was not any errors.I fetched my site successfully.is it enough ? or I must look up another things?

I want to know how a server manager can limit his user? how he can make decreasing daily visitors of his customers?

Do you see any error in Crawl -> Crawl Errors in your Webmaster tools?
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements

I want to know how a server manager can limit his user? how he can make decreasing daily visitors of his customers?
    A server manager can't decrease the daily visitors. But what they can do is install software (CloudLinux, for example) that will limit the amount of resources that your sites can use. The limited resources can slow down the load time, and, if your site is loading slowly, it would bring down the amount of visitors.

CloudLinux is usually on shared accounts. Are you getting 23k daily page views on a shared hosting account?

Do you see any error in Crawl -> Crawl Errors in your Webmaster tools?
    I got screen shots of the page.can you please express your opinion about my situation?

http://www.mediafire.com/?vyjux7chb03pbp1

http://www.mediafire.com/?orouez0a8rtelr3

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post
    A server manager can't decrease the daily visitors. But what they can do is install software (CloudLinux, for example) that will limit the amount of resources that your sites can use. The limited resources can slow down the load time, and, if your site is loading slowly, it would bring down the amount of visitors.

CloudLinux is usually on shared accounts. Are you getting 23k daily page views on a shared hosting account?
    At present I have 24k daily visitors(not page views).I was expecting to have 50k as years before.yes I am using shared hosting.I am thinking about dedicated server but unfortunately I have financial problems for hiring it. in addition after getting it I will have to hire someone for managing my server bc I don`t know anything about managing a server and I don`t have time for learning it bc I am busy for another things other than webmastering...lots of problems

The problem may in the quality of the service provided by the web hosting company. You should complain once again and if nothing happens, then start thinking about severe steps.

Hi,

My site has been on a shared server from 1 year ago.two months ago its traffic dropped off from 35k daily to 22k.server manager disputed any problem until I suddenly found multiple red errors on
    onto dns.they fixed the errors after that my traffic was increasing to normal situation but after 1 week it dropped off again and it is continuing to decreasing .server manager says they fixed problem of server and there is not any red problem on onto dns. but I still suspected to them bc I know my site after 11 years of webmastering and it should not be related to my site and
    my audiences. what can I do ? I need your consultation.

I doubt any web host would go through the means/effort of targeting a customers site like that, if its causing problems for others they would just suspend the account. I don't think you should be worrying about the web host unless you're getting complaints from your visitors or you yourself are experiencing issues getting to your site.

From your Google webmaster screen capture, I could see that Google bots are seeing large number of 404 pages (31818 pages). Something is seriously wrong. Go to "Not found" tab and it will list to pages which are reporting 404 error.

Search engines don't like errors on websites and it can affect the ranking.

From your Google webmaster screen capture, I could see that Google bots are seeing large number of 404 pages (31818 pages). Something is seriously wrong. Go to "Not found" tab and it will list to pages which are reporting 404 error.

Search engines don't like errors on websites and it can affect the ranking.
    Thanks

2 years ago I upgraded my vb forum but it caused some problems in the links.I didn`t had time to correct them but after that my site starts to its normal situation until 2 months ago that I see declining on my traffic and I found out that dns `s sometimes works and sometimes does not works.then I don`t think starting of declining of my traffic at 2 months ago relates to
    changes on my url`s at two years ago.any way thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad View Post
    I doubt any web host would go through the means/effort of targeting a customers site like that, if its causing problems for others they would just suspend the account. I don't think you should be worrying about the web host unless you're getting complaints from your visitors or you yourself are experiencing issues getting to your site.
    May be you are right . during last 11 years I had many times that my site was down. but rarely I receive any comments from my users that they had problem loading my site even 2 months ago that dns`s had definitely problems.may be they can`t connect or may be they think it is a temporarily issue and it will be fixed soon.

I asked provider about being Cloudlinux kernel. they said :No, the server which your account ... hosted is not with Cloudlinux kernel. I can't find any block for the account on the server.

Are you aware of the recent Google Penguin 2.1 and Hummingbird updates? Those caused yet another earthquake in the world of SEO and many sites lost a lot of traffic (some lost all their traffic).

Also with 50k users A DAY, I would definitely go for a dedicated server. Semi dedicated hosting, isn't enough for your needs.

It your provider has blocked the access to your visitors, Google bots should also report the same error in Webmaster tools. Also this should be related to the recent updates in search engine algorithms.

Thanks all for your good consultations.

hope to find a solution for this issue or even hiring a dedicated server.my point of view is their server has problem in quality of service and they don`t know about this.