Hetzner experiences

I've been a Hetzner customer for many years now and I thought it was high time I provided the world with my experience with them :-).

From a price point of view you can't get much cheaper. Hetzner is surely one of the cheapest providers for dedicated servers in Europe. So if you're looking for a cheap machine, definitely check them out. However beware that for their low prices you also don't get real server hardware. They use (as far as I can tell) consumer grade stuff. Especially their disks have a high failure rate, so if your data is critical, stay away! Also don't use RAID0 configuration! (I learned that the hard way)

Secondly, they have a great control panel. It seems to be developed in-house mostly and seems to be quite secure. The rescue system can be especially handy. The reverse DNS settings are a bit annoying, but works as it should so can't really complain there.

Lastly, if you need technical support, don't count on Hetzner. In my experience they throw the 'we do not provide software support' around far too often. Now in some cases I can understand, but when you're asking for basic network information and you get that as response, well let's just say you get frustrated very fast. Basically the techs in my experience have no real technical skills apart from following their little script, so you're on your own most of the time. One exception I must admit is when asking for hardware replacement (remember the crappy disks I mentioned earlier), they do respond pretty fast and do what needs to be done, although it's kept to the absolute minimum.

All in all, Hetzner is an okay choice if you can troubleshoot everything yourself and don't have critical services/data. They're basically good enough for toying around, but I'd never host anything important there. If you're willing to spend a little bit extra, go get yourself a real server somewhere else!

If you've got some experience(s) with them yourself or you have questions, feel free to chime in!
    Last edited by be_gatekeeper; 10-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Yeah, there is also enterprise hard drives and consumer grade etc. Why no RAID0 configuration? Failure?
    Hosting And Designs L.L.C. Since 2002 -->
    Tech Blog:
    Sales: Lars A Jensen. Direct: 503-999-7518 9am-5+pm

Quote Originally Posted by Hosting&Designs View Post
    Why no RAID0 configuration? Failure?
    RAID0 is just asking for a failure, if any of the disks in that RAID array die, you lose all of your data across all of the disks.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Looking to switch providers? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.