Offsite backup solution

Which backup method(backup to offsite ftp VPS) uses the the lowest server resources and the best to use for a 512mb VPS?

I setup a daily backup using WHM to an offsite FTP but it took down all the websites hosted when the backup is running..

Quote Originally Posted by kumpachi View Post
    Which backup method(backup to offsite ftp VPS) uses the the lowest server resources and the best to use for a 512mb VPS?

I setup a daily backup using WHM to an offsite FTP but it took down all the websites hosted when the backup is running..
    cPanel offsite server eats lots of server resources. You may need a VPS with 2+ GB RAM for this.

You may give a try to R1soft backup provider like http://jonesolutions.com/backup.html
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

I believe R1soft requires atleast 4GB RAM..

The cPanel Uncompressed option is the fastest, but takes up more diskspace.

I usually just use Compressed, but not sure how this would impact a VPS running 512MB RAM.
    zFast Technologies - Affordable Web Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, SHOUTcast & Domain Registration!
    █ Quality web hosting since 2009 - www.zfast.co.uk

I'd just use Rysync to move copy your data between two virtual servers. It's easy and doesn't eat up a ton of resources. I've got two different machines with only 256MB of RAM that I backup every two hours. A MySQL DB is compressed and backed up, which is 150~mb, plus WWW data which is a couple hundred mb as well. Runs on a cron every two hours and works quite well.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    date=`date +"%m_%d_%Y"`
    time=`date +"%H:%M"`

# Remove the old local version #
    rm -rf [backupdirectory]/www/*
    rm -rf [backupdirectory]/sql/*

# Get the MySQL DB and back up locally #
    mysqldump -h[MySQLHOST] -u[MySQL USER] -p[MySQL Password] [DBNAME] | gzip -9 > /[backupdirectory]/sql/[WebsiteNAME]_$(date +"%m_%d-%Y_%H:%M").sql.gz

# Get the WWW data and back that up locally #
    tar -zcf /[backupdirectory]/[sitename]_backups_www_$(date +"%m_%d-%Y_%H:%M").tar.gz [path/to/www/data]

# Connect to and creates the required directories on remote machine #
    ssh -p [sshport] -i '/root/.ssh/id_rsa' [user]@[remote-machine] mkdir -p /[path-to-remote-backups]/[site-name]/www/$date
    ssh -p [sshport] -i '/root/.ssh/id_rsa' [user]@[remote-machine] mkdir -p /[path-to-remote-backups]/[site-name]/sql/$date

#Move that **** #
    rsync -auvz -e "ssh -p [sshport] -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa" [path/to/local/www/backup]
    [user]@[remotemachine]:/[path-to-remote-backups]/[site-name]/www/$date
    rsync -auvz -e "ssh -p 4566 -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa" [path/to/local/SQL/backup]
    [user]@[remotemachine]:/[path-to-remote-backups]/[site-name]/sql/$date
    You can use something like that... sorry for the crude code, I had to replace my paths with fake ones. Just edit thigns as needed until you get it to work. You'll need to know a bit about SSH keys and setting a cron job.

So, I've got a remote server now with backup archives that look like this and goes for months:
    Code:
    /home/[user]/backups/[website]/www/10_28_2013/[website]_www_10_28-2013_12:00.tar.gz

/home/[user]/backups/[website]/sql/10_28_2013/[website]_10_28-2013_12:00.sql.gz

This makes restoring a breeze, and I've got many copies of backups available.

I'm working on a user-friendly bash script to share, but it won't be ready anytime soon. It'll configure your backup setup, test it, and aid in the process of getting everything setup properly.

Good luck!
    vpsBoard - An active resource for all things Virtual Private Servers. Tutorials, Guides, Offers and more!
    Come join the conversation! 90,000 posts and growing daily! The fastest growing hosting forum around!

Further along the lines of rsync, there's duply which wraps duplicity. It allows for GPG encryption so your backups can be dumped pretty much anywhere safely. It has a pre-script that you can use to dump MySQL as well as a post-script.

It does full/incremental backup sets and can prune old chains to save space. If you're old school and expect backups to actually be archival quality (eg: stored securely offline on tape/dvd/hdd) then it fits the best I've seen so far.