Running desktop programs in the cloud.

Hey guys,

I have a question, is there a way to host desktop programs in the cloud (e.g. Microsoft Word).

The situation is that I travel frequently so I have to switch between computers frequently. I can set up Cloud based storage but that won't replace all of the programs and the data they use.

Is there a way that I could install all of the desktop programs I use on a Windows Server in the cloud and then maybe log in to the server using a PC which has been pre-configured to do so?

Thanks

Yes, you can either hire a Windows VPS in which you have all your data / programs are setup. Then you can access it anywhere using INTERNET. Or use SaaS offerings like Google Docs or Zoho ( or what is equivalent for your app )

SaaS offerings are something I can't use. For the VPS how would I go about setting this up (I have only dealt with Linux Servers so far), what services would I need to set up? I found that a Windows Domain might help but would I need to install the programs on each computer?

Thanks

You can get a Windows VPS ( loaded with your favorite OS like Windows 7 ). Then you will have access to it via RDP ( remote desktop protocol ) and you can work on it as usual as you work in your desktop ( you can do all regular things on that VPS that you can do in Windows OS ). When you have your app like Microsoft Office is setup on that VPS, you can RDP ( that give you normal GUI access ) to manage your docs and thus you will have access to it regardless of your location.

Thanks for this solution. Do you think that this will be slower than a Windows Domain solution?

Windows domain is an alternate solution. if you just need a centralized machine through which you can manage your apps / data /settings regardless of location ( especially you travel interstate or international ), Windows VPS is find and it will be easy to manage. Speed is based on your VPS configuration and your local bandwidth.

Thanks for your help

If you just need office applications like word, you can just use Office365

Quote Originally Posted by donoskaro View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a question, is there a way to host desktop programs in the cloud (e.g. Microsoft Word).

The situation is that I travel frequently so I have to switch between computers frequently. I can set up Cloud based storage but that won't replace all of the programs and the data they use.

Is there a way that I could install all of the desktop programs I use on a Windows Server in the cloud and then maybe log in to the server using a PC which has been pre-configured to do so?

Thanks
    Or you could go another route. You could use an app like OwnCloud to store your files in. There are plugins to push data to your OwnCloud. Then you can use any installation on whatever computer you have to access the files. In this scenario, no desktop programs are installed in the cloud. Additionally or possibly optionally, you can install a cloud based, collaborative or disruptive office suite like: eyeOS

Other apps/options are: Feng Office, LetoDMS, EPESI...

While an alternative to Word might not sound great you might find it adequate. Otherwise, push just the documents in the cloud by using OwnCloud (or equivalent). All of this installed on a cloud hosting account, or actually most shared hosting accounts (check TOS to see if they allow document storage) would be all you need in addition to app setup and hardening. Many hosts can setup all of this for you. Ask though.

edit: get an account with SSL, that way your connection on the road is protected between you and the cloud. SSL isn't expensive and can be had for $40 per year or less.
    Last edited by gPowerHost; 10-27-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: SSL

There is an application called Ulteo which will do what you are asking. You will need at least 1 Linux server and 1 Windows server if you wish to add support for MS Office. You will need to add more servers to the cluster based on the number of concurrent users.

If you wish to scrap MS-Office in favor of OpenOffice/LibreOffice then you can remove the dependency of the Windows Servers.

Ulteo allows for the applications to run in a browser and uses a simple Java applet (HTML5 support is in beta). There is also an Android and iOS client for those on the road a lot.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks