Question How do you track how your clients find you?

So in the past 2 months we've seen a huge surge of new clients for one of our services that we do not advertise and I am trying to figure out what has caused this wave of clients. In the past 2 months we've had more orders for our shared hosting plans than we did in the first 6 months of this year and I'm unsure why. I remember that Google Analytics used to show referring traffic but it looks like they stopped doing that. I tried installing Piwik but the past 3 attempts have been unsuccessful in recording anything. Additionally, we have a "How did you find us?" on the order form but very few answer it and those that did left vague answers that make it hard to track down.

So how do you find out where your clients are coming from? Do you contact them directly either in the form of a friendly e-mail or survey? Do you have some software to trend activity for you? Do you not worry about it and just accept the new orders and hope they continue?

Thanks for your feedback.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Hi ZKuJoe,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm currently doing some research in this industry as far as new customer acquisition goes, and your question piqued my curiousity.

Is there anything stopping you from contacting these customers to ask them directly?

Kind Regards,
    Yosef

(just a suggestion) ----
    If I'm not wrong, live chat software, some of them like live chat inc have a feature to track from where the customer came. Use that just for monitoring and then compare the IP from the tracking with the IP of the order, then you will know how they got to you in the first place.
    ---
    Maybe the word of mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    (just a suggestion) ----
    If I'm not wrong, live chat software, some of them like live chat inc have a feature to track from where the customer came. Use that just for monitoring and then compare the IP from the tracking with the IP of the order, then you will know how they got to you in the first place.
    ---
    Maybe the word of mouth?
    That's a good idea. We originally had a live chat feature that did this but stopped using it last year. I'll look into something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LSMTO View Post
    Hi ZKuJoe,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm currently doing some research in this industry as far as new customer acquisition goes, and your question piqued my curiousity.

Is there anything stopping you from contacting these customers to ask them directly?

Kind Regards,
    Yosef
    I was originally going to contact them but didn't want to bother them with questions since it's not something critical and if they didn't want to answer the question on the order form I didn't want to ask them it again via a ticket/e-mail and seem pushy.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Hiding the referer search keyphrase of traffic coming from Google is one of the biggest mistake Google has ever made.

Adding an "how did you know us" field is useless, people says "Google" even when they come from a link on another site that they found on Google.

Try clicky.com. They have some great tracking tools and its easy to implement it too.

How do you track how your clients find you?

Quote Originally Posted by ZKuJoe View Post
    That's a good idea. We originally had a live chat feature that did this but stopped using it last year. I'll look into something like that.

I was originally going to contact them but didn't want to bother them with questions since it's not something critical and if they didn't want to answer the question on the order form I didn't want to ask them it again via a ticket/e-mail and seem pushy.
    I can understand that. I would say if you're really at a loss for options, ask them directly and compensate them with some kind of gift for their time. One easy method is to send a customer service survey with a number of mandatory questions and some sort of nominal token of your appreciation.

Best of luck and kind regards,
    Yosef
    Looking for a web service? Have multiple providers competing for your business!
    findmeaserver.com | findmeacloud.com | findmeavps.com

Am I missing something here? Google has "stopped" the referer/search keyphrase - you have to link your Webmaster Tools Account into Analytics and the data are shown.
    Antonis Adamakos @ FuzzFree :: Fully Managed Web Hosting, Development, Online Marketing

One method I use, but will not help you in this case. Anytime we have calls for signups we always ask " May I ask you how you found us toward then end of the call."

If you're running a web hosting company, shouldn't you have the know-how to be able to view your access log to see the referrer? You can run a script to list the most common referrers, such as awstats. Or if you're like me, just `tail -f access_log` and watch it live.

Quote Originally Posted by WebMaister View Post
    Hiding the referer search keyphrase of traffic coming from Google is one of the biggest mistake Google has ever made.
    Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-x View Post
    Totally agreed.
    It makes sense from a security standpoint. You can still see the top keywords with their webmaster tools, you're just unable to tie the keywords to a specific user. I don't think most consumers care or even notice, and its not like you guys are going to de-list you websites from Google to boycott them.

Quote Originally Posted by joshribakoff View Post
    If you're running a web hosting company, shouldn't you have the know-how to be able to view your access log to see the referrer? You can run a script to list the most common referrers, such as awstats. Or if you're like me, just `tail -f access_log` and watch it live.
    I wrote my own script to do this but unfortunately "google.com" is not enough information for me. I appreciate your concern though but your posts are a bit misplaced.
    Last edited by ZKuJoe; 10-26-2013 at 10:52 PM.

My comment in post #10 wasn't specifically directed at you, sorry if it came off that way.

Not sure why that isn't enough information though. You said you had a surge of signups & want to find out why... look at the IP of those signups, and then match to the referrer. If the referrer is google, then you now know where your signups are coming from (google). That's enough information for me.

Or do you already know that Google is the source of this surge in signups, but you want to find out which keywords users are clicking on? Because their webmaster tools provides that information.

By the way I sell software, and I usually just ask people if they call. I also look at the top referrers. I don't obsess over top keywords too much personally. I just worry about writing my content so that my users understand it, and let Google do it's thing. I've personally found that trying to "target" keywords was counter productive... any increase in ranking would be temporary, and it would decrease my conversion rates because the content isn't as natural.

I'm just curious why a service we don't advertise for is selling so much the past 2 months so whatever is causing it I know not to change it.

we have a "How did you find us?" on the order form
    May I ask which are the answers you have mentioned there?
    Michael Vlastos
    HostWired.com - Innovative Hosting Solutions since 2005 | cPanel, Softaculous
    Personalized support | No site suspensions | No overloaded servers | Green Hosting
    Multiple Backups | Average Response Time: 20 min | Toll Free: 1-855-ECO-HOST

Quote Originally Posted by joshribakoff View Post
    Viewing access log is useless! Google search keyphrases that brought user to your site won't be shown (except few of them), because Google hides them even before hitting your server.

Write a simple PHP script that tracks the referrer page of users clicking on the order page and puts that information into a table of your database. Then you can use PHP to parse the information in that table which will give you an idea where your customers are clicking from.

You should email back your new customers and give them an incentive to find out how they found your business / service. I get a lot of phone call from new clients and I always ask how they found my business, in most cases it is a referral from an existing client and if I can track the client down then I pay then a commission which is turn seems to get me even more clients

Offer Them Something

So in the past 2 months we've seen a huge surge of new clients for one of our services that we do not advertise and I am trying to figure out what has caused this wave of clients. In the past 2 months we've had more orders for our shared hosting plans than we did in the first 6 months of this year and I'm unsure why. I remember that Google Analytics used to show referring traffic but it looks like they stopped doing that. I tried installing Piwik but the past 3 attempts have been unsuccessful in recording anything. Additionally, we have a "How did you find us?" on the order form but very few answer it and those that did left vague answers that make it hard to track down.

So how do you find out where your clients are coming from? Do you contact them directly either in the form of a friendly e-mail or survey? Do you have some software to trend activity for you? Do you not worry about it and just accept the new orders and hope they continue?

Thanks for your feedback.
    I think that if you offer your clients something in return for the information you are seeking you might get some valuable answers.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LSMTO View Post
    Whilst looking at the referrer and other similar 'tech' works, if you really want to know something about the clients, the best way is to ask them
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

MixPanel.com is a pretty clever platform for measuring where your customers are coming from.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing HTML5 Banner Ad Designer!
    Leading designers in online advertising
    Need banners? Visit our Website

I think it is ok to contact a bunch of them. What is wrong in saying"Hi!, I am your account manager and I want to thank you for working with us. Are you happy with our services? Can you tell me how did find us?..." and the discussion can go on. Not only that you will live them with a good impression showing that you care but you will also get your answer.

When they are web orders (people that you dont speak with) it would be hard to find out other than asking them directly unless (as has been suggested) checking the ips from your chat software. If you dont already we have a spot in the order process asking who they heard about us that day. I have a note over my phone that reminds me to ask every client how they heard about us.

Good Luck!
    [email protected]
    Award Winning Dedicated Servers
    24/7 Impressive Technical Support- Huge Reseller Discounts
    Pure Solid State Cloud Servers By Sparknode

How do we track customers? https://www.google.com/analytics/

Also the option someone said above: "How did you find us?"
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

just put a survey in your registration page like"
    How did you find us? a. search engine, b. ads on website, c. friends, d. other

I use Lucky Orange Plugin for WordPress and it works great tracking where people come from, as well as offer chat function. I'd highly recommend it.
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.
    Colocation | Cloud | Data Centers | Bandwidth | Managed Services
    New York / Northern Virginia / Chicago / Dallas / Miami / Los Angeles / San Jose
    www.InfoRelay.com/Services/Data-Centers