How to change root passwor

Hello

Today i try to reinstall new template and after installation find that i cann't login via SSH.

Use all passwords that i have (first of all password that send hoster, when he setup my VPS), but they don't work. Also try to change it via SolusVM - New VNC Password tool (and restart it later), but all my attempts aren't successful.

Is there any way to get access to my VPS account via SSH?

thank you
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

If its using SolusVM then don't use special characters in your password to reset it.

Just change it to pass123 , then ssh into the VPS and then use passwd to set the root password with special characters.

I don't used any special characters -> just letters, but also i'll try this one [pass123] ;-)
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

Also worth noting, you said you set the VNC password in SolusVM, this is different than 'root' password in SolusVM. Make sure you're setting the root password in the correct spot in SolusVM.

no, "pass123" didn't work too.
    Your Health Encyclopedia

You probably need to put a ticket into support then.. Might be a bigger issue going on.

SolusVM has issues with special characters that's why I said try and easy one first.

Make sure you're setting the root password in the correct spot in SolusVM.
    Yes ... your' are right. But i have only 2 fields in this version of SolusVM where i can set any text: Hostname and New VNC Password :-((((
    Your Health Encyclopedia

Is this a KVM VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by vps_newbie View Post
    Is this a KVM VPS?
    Based on your description, it sounds like you have a KVM VPS, so let me add:
    (Applies to KVM VPSs with SolusVM control panels)

I have a KVM VPS with a SolusVM control panel. Based on my experience, you get only one chance to record the root password - at installation time. If you don't record the root password or you lose it, then you have few options.

VNC provides you with a remote console to your VPS. You can change the VNC password from your SolusVM control panel, but it only covers the VNC connection, not access to the VPS itself. In other words, the VNC password lets establish a VNC connection, which displays a remote console terminal, but the first thing you see in the terminal is the login prompt. If you don't have a valid login username and password, then there is little you can do.

(On my KVM VPS with SolusVM, you must reboot the VPS after you change the VNC password. If you don't have access to the VPS to reboot it from the command line, then you can use the buttons in the SolusVM control panel to reboot it. None of that matters if you don't have a username and password for the VPS itself.)

If you have lost the root password for your VPS, then your only choices are:
    1. Login using a non-root account that has sudo privileges. Use sudo to become root, then change the root password.

2. Reinstall the OS from scratch using a template or an .iso installer. Of course, you will wipe out the VPS and start over. This time, remember the root password, because you only get one chance to record it.

3. Open a support ticket and beg the VPS provider to change the root password for you. I cannot swear that they have the tools to do it, but I have heard anecdotally that they can.

If you have a KVM VPS like mine, you can change the root password as often as you like, but you must do it from within the running VPS (Linux or Windows). Windows and Linux require you to enter the old password or have a sudo-privileged account to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CN-Jeremy View Post
    You probably need to put a ticket into support then.. Might be a bigger issue going on.

SolusVM has issues with special characters that's why I said try and easy one first.
    It's only an issue if set through Solus. Once in the box, you can set the password to 64 random characters.

Quote Originally Posted by vps_newbie View Post
    Is this a KVM VPS?
    Yes, you are right: it's a KVM VPS
    Your Health Encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by 3-rx View Post
    Yes, you are right: it's a KVM VPS
    See my detailed notes above. Since you just installed from a template, you probably do not have much to lose if you perform the installation again. Pay attention during the installation process - there will be one time during the installation process where the VPS displays the root password or it gives you the opportunity to enter one. Remember to record it, because it is the only time you will see it.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.