Hostigation e5clt19

SO I got an email saying my server was down. I just looked at the updates and they inform me that the data probably won't bd recoverable. I had backups of course on the server, but not I'm DOA. All I can say is WTF!

Hostigation is the worst! I got it because it was a bargain VPS. Mysql and http kept spiking consistently, and I would have to manually restart. I got tired and now was going to move off there, and then this happens.

What a POS hosting company? At least make it so your user's could get a backup. They had no RAID, etc. Really? What type of hosting company is this? I'm pissed. Needless to say

MORAL OF THE STORY IS DON'T USE HOSTIGATION

RAID isn't a substitute for backups, and sometimes they get corrupted.

A budget host generally won't backup your data. Even if they did, it's always wise to keep a backup.

I don't see anything on their website which says they backup your website. What made you think they did? It's up to the customer to backup their website in most cases.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Quote Originally Posted by wescravn View Post
    I had backups of course on the server
    So, let me get this right, you made backups but left them on the VPS you were backing up?

Sorry to hear that wescravn. Backups are something most people don't value until the day they need it.
    Ez Web Hosting providing excellent service since 2000
    Expert Wordpress Hosting & Support
    Web Hosting, ASP Hosting
    VPrivate Servers, VDedicated Servers

wescravn - Backups should always be uploaded elsewhere. However, looking at the website i personally wouldn't purchase. I've also seen topics elsewhere about this place.

Accept the loss, and find a decent provider.

I have three VPS with Hostigation, including my main local hosting VPS (4 GB RAM, cPanel, for $30 a month). Service has been excellent.

Stuff happens, so I have backups of my hosting server that is in Los Angeles. A daily backup is rsync'd to a Hostigation VPS in SC. My home server then rsyncs the backup from SC, and stores multiple copies (daily for 7 days, weekly for a month, and monthly for a year).

Backups are essential, no matter the host. The laws of the universe require them. Entropy happens.

I understand folks but I have used both lunar pages and fatciw for years. I understand it's not vps, but never lost data from them

Quote Originally Posted by wescravn View Post
    SO I got an email saying my server was down. I just looked at the updates and they inform me that the data probably won't bd recoverable. I had backups of course on the server, but not I'm DOA. All I can say is WTF!

Hostigation is the worst! I got it because it was a bargain VPS. Mysql and http kept spiking consistently, and I would have to manually restart. I got tired and now was going to move off there, and then this happens.

What a POS hosting company? At least make it so your user's could get a backup. They had no RAID, etc. Really? What type of hosting company is this? I'm pissed. Needless to say

MORAL OF THE STORY IS DON'T USE HOSTIGATION
    It's possible you misunderstand what RAID is. I hope the data you have lost is insignificant compared to the lesson you have learned about making backups. Backups on the same machine are not backups, just as RAID is not a backup.

You purchased the server because it was a bargain VPS yet you are expecting a premium service. I am not sure how Hostigation managed your expectations; however I would check in future with providers if they backup your service for you. I know many in the budget/low end sector do not.

MORAL OF THE STORY IS TAKE OFFSITE BACKUPS

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    I have three VPS with Hostigation, including my main local hosting VPS (4 GB RAM, cPanel, for $30 a month). Service has been excellent.
    I've used them for years as well. Their reputation is very good.

You need to calibrate your expectations with a budget host. For what Tim provides at the price he provides it, Hostigation is an excellent company.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

I had downtime for about 3 days. True I lost clients data, and one site that I have to rebuild now for free. Guess what?

No matter how mad I was/am, it was my fault to for not keeping offsite backups for all sites. It was stupid and arrogant of me. Because of this I offered her a site rebuilt, free SSL, free dedicated ip, and asked her if she'd like to use the promo codes I give to new clients.

Hostigation did cause my site to go down for a few days, and true my WHMCS is still screwed up since the license key's IP changed. But all this was a lesson to me as it is to you. Keep backups! Hostigation never gave me problems till October 23rd. That was about four/4 months of excellent service!

Please relax, after all this is still better than my experience with Godaddy....

As this thread is more a discussion than discussion about a specific outage event moved to web hosting. Carry on
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Quote Originally Posted by makaze View Post
    RAID isn't a substitute for backups, and sometimes they get corrupted.
    I couldn't agree more here. I know this post is a few days old, but, it's absolutely accurate. RAID is good, but it's no substitute for on (and off) site backup
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details