Angry Enotch Networks: 19 Days, a Scathing Review

So I thought I would cover my short, but so far less than stellar experience with Enotch Networks so far.

As a cloud administrator, I'm not one much for bashing companies, because I understand that "stuff" happens, but I'm a great customer, as I all I ever need is a functioning server and network, and you won't ever hear from me on tickets.

However, I'm a stickler for customer service, and if you can't get it right after multiple failures, then you deserve an honest, public critique. Especially so for Enotch considering they are posting almost every day in the Dedicated offering forum, with a number of complaints about setup times and support.

The start of the ordeal was on 10/5 (a Saturday), when I ordered a dedicated server from them for an ESXi node. Doing due diligence, I wrote sales prior to the order, asking about delivery time, and if ESXi could be installed as an OS by them (or I could simply install it via IPMI). A positive response to both questions, and I ordered and paid. I was told the same day that the order would be processed on Monday and servers were going out that week to my requested datacenter.

On 10/8, I asked for an update, and was told they were processing it and would update me shortly.

On 10/9, I asked for an update, and informed them I was leaving on vacation the 12th and would return on the 19th, and needed to know if it would be ready before then, or whether I would need to postpone my migration until I returned.

On 10/11, I asked for another update, as I still had not received any response since the one on the 8th. They responded the server would be ready "next week".

On 10/18, while on vacation, I asked for another update, as I still had not received any update to the ticket, and no server and reiterated I would return on the 19th and needed to begin my migration then.

On 10/20, with still no response, I asked for another update, becoming quite irritated now.

On 10/22, with still no response, I asked for another update, sent them a PM on the forums here, posted in one of their threads, and filed a brand new ticket.

On 10/22, around noon EST, an answer was finally provided stating they had "dropped the ball" and allocated my server to someone else, offered a discount, but stated it would still be days until they could have one ready unless I wanted one in a different data center.

Desperate to begin my migration, I jumped at the server offer in another data center, and on 10/23, I received my login information. Unfortunately, ESXi was not installed as promised, and I had to install it over IPMI, but I got it done.

However ... it's not over.

Struggling with horrible speeds on the network, I finally pinned it down to the GB NIC that was running at 100MB half duplex. Several hours and a ticket later, they found a switch misconfiguration on their side and corrected it.

Over? Think again ...

After rushing my migration and working a very long day vMotioning and moving items, now my server's offline.

On 10/24 (tonight) approximate 5PM EST, I was notified that they had mis-assigned my IP block, and needed to move me. "Can this be done now?" they asked. I responded within 20 minutes of their ticket and said this needed to be scheduled, as I had vMotions in progress, high traffic sites moved over, DNS that just changed and is now resolved and so on. Going a step further, I gave my phone number in the ticket to call me in case of emergency or needing to discuss and schedule this re-assignment.

At 6:49PM, my environment dies and becomes unresponsive right in the middle of me working on it. Immediately, I check the IP ticket: no update made. It must be something else, I think ... surely they would not have just pulled the plug on me.

So, I open a separate ticket at 6:52PM, stating my environment is down and reference the other ticket, stating that I did not give permission for the IP change yet, so it must be something else.

At 6:55PM, I receive a response to the original IP ticket that they didn't "see the response I made" and had already moved me due to a "seucirty issue" (they most likely provisioned me inside another customer's IP block), provided me the new IP block and gateway, and gave me a KVM login to change IPs on the ESXi node. So without notice, everything was down, my in-progress vMotions have failed, sites are offline, and so on.

After an hour of trying to get the ESXi node to accept a new IP, and two reboots of the node, I discovered that the IP range they provided did not work, and the gateway would not even ping. "TTL expired in transit". So the information provided wasn't even valid.

=====
    Ping xxx.xx.xxx.xxx <-- Gateway IP provided
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    TTL expired in transit
    Average time over 10 pings: 0 ms
    =====

As of now, it's been almost 5 hours since I was taken offline, and there's been no ticket response to EITHER ticket, the IP block still isn't working, and I've been forced to failover what I could back to my original host (and pay an extra month), and several servers, services, and sites are simply down.

In closing, it's been 19 days since my original order, and I'm not just without a server, I'm in far worse shape than when I began. I should have noticed the warning signs earlier, but anyway ... there it is.

And of course, even though their sites says 24x7 phone support, there is no number to be found.

Im surprised you persisted that long, doesn't sound fun.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

That sure does sound like poor service. I'd be looking elsewhere (if you aren't already).

Yes, I've escalated it, as you can see by the attached screenshot (ticket #'s blurred for privacy on both sides). The screenshot also shows it's been well over six hours at this point with no reply, and I'm still down.

It will definitely take some work to win back my confidence, if it can be won back at all.

I'm religious about backups to S3 and Glacier, so even if it never came up I wouldn't lose anything, but it's the principle at this point, and the almost month I've wasted "going around the mulberry bush" with them, as my mom would have said.

Edit: Image didn't attach, so http://i41.tinypic.com/vnpctf.jpg

Really poor service, you shows great patience but better move away ASAP.
    Looking around for some time
    PM me for Website Design and Web Development Work.

The question is why are you still with them? You have no loyalty to them if they do you wrong, in which this case they did.

Isn't enotch the company that pulled a disappearing act earlier this year leaving a ton of clients offline? If so, I would leave and not look back.

That definitely is a rough experience, sorry to hear you had to deal with that. I definitely agree on the customer service side when you're a developer, you know how to maintain your server so all you need is quality network with good service...

Good luck on future providers, hopefully this is the last time you have to deal with this.

Quote Originally Posted by teck View Post
    Isn't enotch the company that pulled a disappearing act earlier this year leaving a ton of clients offline? If so, I would leave and not look back.
    Every time they take a run at it... it seems to be directed face first at a wall.

They had an issue with cogent a couple years back that ended with most/all of their IP space getting revoked due to spam. Then I think there was an ARIN dispute?

They did dedi's and they had issues with either the DC or the equipment supplier and have since then done another run at it. The reviews floating between here, vpsboard, & lowendtalk are all showing that things haven't changed much, though.

It's a shame, the owner seems to have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for it all, but keeps getting dealt a crappy hand.

Francisco

Really poor service, you left them plenty of time to make up and got nothing in return but trouble.

Hello everyone
    If I was you I would run and found myself a better host ASAP..
    Good luck

Agreed that you should find a new provider. Sorry that you had to go through all of this.

How do you even provision someone inside someone else's IP blocks?

Any recent build of Ironware / IOS / JunOS will flat out refuse to accept the config if IP conflicts exist.

That probably sounds like they're running ancient gear too.

Regardless, their track record isn't exactly stellar from the past either -- I'd simply ask for a refund and move on at this point.

This issue was resolved with this customer and are sorry for the display as it is presented here. There was confusion with the network configuration with another customer and migration off of their block and it appears that there were two tickets being handled at the same time that affected both customers. Unfortunately, the scenario that affected this customer could not be reproduced. Since this I have put a few procedures in place to handle this going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Every time they take a run at it... it seems to be directed face first at a wall.

They had an issue with cogent a couple years back that ended with most/all of their IP space getting revoked due to spam. Then I think there was an ARIN dispute?

They did dedi's and they had issues with either the DC or the equipment supplier and have since then done another run at it. The reviews floating between here, vpsboard, & lowendtalk are all showing that things haven't changed much, though.

It's a shame, the owner seems to have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for it all, but keeps getting dealt a crappy hand.

Francisco
    I have to say there is something about you that simply makes me frustrated. However, you are somewhat correct in the sense that we have had problems with different services but this is similar to any host and is irrelevant to this post. However, much of your response is invalid as is almost all of the others in which you responded to in regards to Enotch. Anyways, thanks for your time happy for the feedback.