Cpremote Doesn't Remove Deleted Files...WTF?

I was curious why my backup servers keep getting filled, even though some large accounts were removed.

Turns out that it doesn't remove files that have been deleted. So any removed files, any removed accounts, etc., on the main server, stay on the backup server...forever.

I don't understand how something like that can be overlooked, considering they are using RSYNC.

I submitted a "feature request" to them, but just had to share my frustration publically as well.

Speak to their support, when I spoke to their support they said that feature already exists... I may be mistaken.. it was a few months ago.. but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    TrentaHost INC. || Fully Managed DDoS Protected Services Globally (NA - EU - Asia)
    Reseller Hosting- Pure SSD | Litespeed | Imunify360 | CloudLinux | 24x7 Support | Mailchannels
    Linux & Windows DDoS Protected SSD VPS - cPanel / WHM | DDoS Protection | Let's Encrypt | Pure-SSD
    DDoS Protected Locations : Portland, OR (North America) | Amsterdam, NL (Europe) | Singapore (Asia)

I did a few minutes ago. That's when it was confirmed that the feature doesn't exist. Thought it might have been something on my specific install that was doing it, but nope. Bizarre really. Love them aside from that new revelation.

That's a pretty glaring oversight... that should be taken care of. They need to set up a method to automatically remove accounts that were removed from hosting after X period of time.

Say, non-paying customers. Keep their data for 30 days. No payment? Expunge the backed up data after 30 days, or whatever your policy is.
    ★ Nicholas @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support

Quote Originally Posted by Keiro View Post
    Say, non-paying customers. Keep their data for 30 days. No payment? Expunge the backed up data after 30 days, or whatever your policy is.
    More than that...when a client deletes a file from their account, it stays in the backup...forever.

Sorry for bumping this, but was just checking out CPRemote from the client' s Cpanel view and interesting to see this...

cPremote - cPanel remote rsync backup software is a user friendly plugin for managing backup of cPanel accounts. It is a perfect solutions for taking uncompressed incremental cPanel backups to a remote sever over ssh or to the local dir. This script is 100% compatible with cPanel incremental backup. So you can use the same method of cPanel, to restore cPremote backups.

cPremote have the following features,

7 days backup retention
    Local and Remote storage
    Don't use the entire disk space of your cPanel server.
    CPU usage limited to 10% of your CPU using cpulimit. So no CPU usage on backup time
    Direct sync of home folders. Increase speed to 80%
    Auto remove backups , when you delete a cPanel account
    Restore Backups
    It don't compress the backups. So your server load will be normal during backup time
    Easy to use whm plugin interface
    Easy to install
    No external software or services required.
    Openssh secured communication channel.
    Priority scheduled backup process
    Backup alerts

So does it have the feature or not? they say it doesn't on chat as you stated above, but they list it as a feature? I don't want to jump the gun and accuse here.. but interesting..
    TrentaHost INC. || Fully Managed DDoS Protected Services Globally (NA - EU - Asia)
    Reseller Hosting- Pure SSD | Litespeed | Imunify360 | CloudLinux | 24x7 Support | Mailchannels
    Linux & Windows DDoS Protected SSD VPS - cPanel / WHM | DDoS Protection | Let's Encrypt | Pure-SSD
    DDoS Protected Locations : Portland, OR (North America) | Amsterdam, NL (Europe) | Singapore (Asia)

Usually I see those and there is a log the says it didn't have permission to delete the files.

Not sure why it would have a problem deleting files.

We've had to use a plugin just for this, fairly annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by iexo View Post
    We've had to use a plugin just for this, fairly annoying!
    Mind letting the rest of us know what plugin exactly?

Assisting the competition?

http://www.ndchost.com/cpanel-whm/plugins/cleanbackups/

I've set it at 30 days just to be safe, as I worry that if a reseller accidentally deletes an account, then the automatic clean happens, there's no backups... 30 days is probably a bit too much to be honest!
    Last edited by iexo; 11-26-2013 at 08:24 AM.

We use this on all our servers, and it works very well.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I think there is slightly misunderstanding about this. There is a weekly cron that do the job of cleaning of terminated accounts. This script is located on /etc/cron.weekly/clearcpremote.sh

If you need to remove those terminated accounts manually , then simply run the script. But some providers would like to keep the terminated accounts for one week.

if you are configured the backup storage as a non-root user and in your sever , and someone changes the ownership of the backup files to some other owners , then this storage user can't remove those files. That is due to the linux permissions and ownerships.
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

Quote Originally Posted by Syslint View Post
    I think there is slightly misunderstanding about this. There is a weekly cron that do the job of cleaning of terminated accounts. This script is located on /etc/cron.weekly/clearcpremote.sh

If you need to remove those terminated accounts manually , then simply run the script. But some providers would like to keep the terminated accounts for one week.

if you are configured the backup storage as a non-root user and in your sever , and someone changes the ownership of the backup files to some other owners , then this storage user can't remove those files. That is due to the linux permissions and ownerships.

So how about deleted files? They never seem to get deleted. If somebody deletes a huge file on their account, for example, they don't ever seem to be deleted from the backup server.

Hello,

It use the rsync with --delete flag for syncing the files on each backup update. So it must delete those files.
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

Quote Originally Posted by Syslint View Post
    Hello,

It use the rsync with --delete flag for syncing the files on each backup update. So it must delete those files.

I'll have to do some more testing, because it was not deleting them from my setup. In fact, I'm not even sure that deleted accounts were being removed.

Your tech. I spoke with told me that the files are not deleted. I don't want to get anybody in trouble, so I won't give you the ticket number, but I just want to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post
    I'll have to do some more testing, because it was not deleting them from my setup. In fact, I'm not even sure that deleted accounts were being removed.

Your tech. I spoke with told me that the files are not deleted. I don't want to get anybody in trouble, so I won't give you the ticket number, but I just want to figure it out.
    They should be deleted after a week providing the cron /etc/cron.weekly/clearcpremote.sh is set. If the cron isn't set try adding it. You can also run the command manually.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by wswd View Post

If you PM me the ticket Id or your email address we can check it in details and find out the reason behind this issue. There may be some wrong fielsystem or old permission issues. If the backups are working fine , then it must delete those file. Please feel free to update me with the ticket details , there won't be any type of troubles for solving an issue.