Like minded colocation company

I guess my requirements are a little different than most other companies. I currently have space in Cologix in Toronto and I am looking to work with someone on the West coast. I only have a few clients and every single one of them is very important to me. I interview my clients as much as they interview me. I am looking for a small company with the same mindset.

I am looking for a company with one or two employees that distinguishes themselves base primarily on their excellent support.

Technically I am looking fir:
    -5U in an equinix west coast datacenter
    -700Watts of power, ideally A/B
    -10mbps commit on a 1gige link (maybe a bgp feed with only a default route)
    -/29 IP address space
    -a single mode cross connect to Akamai
    -a single mode cross connect to Amazon Direct Connect
    -fan-flipping-tastic support

For the most part, I am picking Equinix because they connect to Akamai and ADC. I'm perfectly willing to listen to other options.

I don't really know how the Equinix IX works, I would love to connect into an IX that would give me a connection to limelight and other CDNs. And get the obvious benefits that an IX provides.

do you have a geographic preference on the west coast (CA, WA, etc.)?
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - colocation, dedicated and cloud quotes

I don't really have any location requirements other than what I stated. I will be doing IP Anycasting, so "far" from Toronto is required.

Was just looking at Coresite/Any2, if the advertising is correct, it should also be acceptible in addition to equinix.

Like I said, excellent support is required. I would like to establish a long term working relationship with the vendor.

700W usable is quite a lot to ask for in 5U, you'd be looking at 70A+ @110V or so total per cab given that density.

I'd also avoid using Equinix if you don't have to, as you're going to be paying steep prices on everything, from space to power to x-connects. There are actually fairly low cost peering exchanges as well. The Seattle SIX for instance is free for the first gigabit connection. You just provide the optics, and pay for your own x-connect to get there (usually $100-$200 from within the Westin Building).

As far as I know, the SIX is the only free exchange on the west coast that Amazon and Akamai are both at. Vancouver's PIX exchange doesn't have Amazon, the exchanges in San Jose (Equinix, PAIX) and LA (Equinix, Coresite/Any2) all charge a port fee. I haven't seen pricing betwee the two directly myself, but believe the Any2 costs less than Equinix.

You only need 1 x-connect, and can connect both Amazon and Akamai over a public peering switch fabric. Chances are you wouldn't qualify for private peering unless you're pushing a lot of traffic to each of them specifically.
    ASTUTE HOSTING: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, PEER1, Shaw, Tinet)
    MicroServers.io: Enterprise Dedicated Hardware with IPMI at VPS-like Prices using AS63213 Affordable Bandwidth (Cogent, HE, Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Yes, the problem is Amazon Direct Connect is not the same as peering and they only doing at a few locations. In the end, Amazon Direct Connect costs less per bit than peering with Amazon(ridiculous, I know).

I guess I should be getting pricing for both options.

SIX was actually my first choice, but no Amazon Direct Connect... I am on TorIX now and it rocks.

Having my own 1/4 cab would be fine. I am deploying supermicro microclouds, so I get some density, but I could use the extra space for other things. I imagine having A/B power is also a problem.

I really want to find someone who has space in one of these facilities who I can call at 5am and talk to when there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    700W usable is quite a lot to ask for in 5U, you'd be looking at 70A+ @110V or so total per cab given that density.
    Just curious, how are you deriving [email protected] from ~6A/5u/Octal?

Unless your cabinets are 49u, and you don't have properly divided cabinets for random customer allocations, I'm not sure how you'd go past 60A @ 120v ?

Coresite/onewilshire and Equinix would both work for you. You're going to pay more for the equinix solution but LA1 equinix looks like a spaceship and it's beautiful. Blue lights beaming about the dimly lit data center, free rack screws/nuts/etc, a fancy rest area, a heightened work bench for you to work on equipment that is actually very practical, large conference room with projector to have meetings, a place to take a shower, etc. Taking your clients on a equinix tour is very impressive and is a selling point depending on your client base. (LA1 to be specific, LA2 and LA3 are not where you want to be for appearance and don't have nearly as many carriers as LA1)

Coresite is just racks piled up in a plain room but it gets the job done at a lower price point with no flare
    Last edited by axces; 10-24-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Axcessi's low cost Los Angeles carrier neutral colocation
    One Wilshire and LA1 Equinix cross connect availability
    High Density Supported 208~240vac & 48vdc availability
    Email: Carl(at)Axcessi(dot)com Skype: CarlRuszczynski

Yeah, it sounds like either one would do. So what I am looking for is someone who has a rack already and wants to re-sell me the space/power/IP/bandwidth and will provide top notch remote hands.

Getting space directly is an option, but then I depend on the facilities remote hands. I prefer to deal with a one or two person company because their pay check depends on providing good service.

What are you doing with Akamai and AWS?

I have a client that feeds content to Akamai. They are also rather heavy AWS users.

Quote Originally Posted by axcessi View Post
    Blue lights beaming about the dimly lit data center, free rack screws/nuts/etc, a fancy rest area, a heightened work bench for you to work on equipment that is actually very practical, large conference room with projector to have meetings, a place to take a shower, etc.
    A Shower? Seriously? How exactly does that work? You go break a sweat replacing a failed HDD, and bring a change of clothes for the showers? sick

Be sure that you ask if they have 24/7 support on site if you use the Westin building in Seattle. Most companies who are out of there don't seem to offer this feature. We just moved our equipment out of there into another building which has 24/7 support and have fiber back to the Westin.

Just something to look out for.
    Sales/Support - sales @ purevoltage.com / 1-855-787-8658
    PureVoltage.com Premium Colocation, Dedicated & VPS Hosting, along with Remote Hands NY
    Enterprise Hardware with 6 Global Locations - Seattle | Dallas | Chicago | Los Angeles | New York | Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by veslicenet View Post
    A Shower? Seriously? How exactly does that work? You go break a sweat replacing a failed HDD, and bring a change of clothes for the showers? sick
    Something in your operation goes very wrong and you end up effectively camped out in your cage for days on end, a shower wouldn't hurt

Yeah I'm serious. A red light would flood the shower, and there's a bench to sit on while you're in the shower. This has changed over the years tho, they replaced the red shower bulb with a white/standard bulb and removed the bench.

What I was actually surprised by however was that they removed the XBOX and the couch from the game room over the years and replaced it with old fashioned arcade style ones.

The biggest plus however is that the expanded 7th floor space has small private office rooms you can work from. They're about 100 to 130 sq feet each but it allows you some privacy while fixing your equipment.
    Axcessi's low cost Los Angeles carrier neutral colocation
    One Wilshire and LA1 Equinix cross connect availability
    High Density Supported 208~240vac & 48vdc availability
    Email: Carl(at)Axcessi(dot)com Skype: CarlRuszczynski

CoreXchange I believe in Dallas has some showers and possible a few beds, this would be great for those who fly from out of town and don't need to get a hotel room.
    Sales/Support - sales @ purevoltage.com / 1-855-787-8658
    PureVoltage.com Premium Colocation, Dedicated & VPS Hosting, along with Remote Hands NY
    Enterprise Hardware with 6 Global Locations - Seattle | Dallas | Chicago | Los Angeles | New York | Amsterdam

Clearly you've never had a real catastrophic failure on equipment you manage

Stress sweat is horrendous when it comes to odor, and when you pull 24+ straight hours a shower is great.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

One of the facilities we're in, in Philly, has a shower. Never used it, but if anything crazy happened, I'd be happy it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2saca View Post
    I guess my requirements are a little different than most other companies. I currently have space in Cologix in Toronto and I am looking to work with someone on the West coast. I only have a few clients and every single one of them is very important to me. I interview my clients as much as they interview me. I am looking for a small company with the same mindset.

I am looking for a company with one or two employees that distinguishes themselves base primarily on their excellent support.

Technically I am looking fir:
    -5U in an equinix west coast datacenter
    -700Watts of power, ideally A/B
    -10mbps commit on a 1gige link (maybe a bgp feed with only a default route)
    -/29 IP address space
    -a single mode cross connect to Akamai
    -a single mode cross connect to Amazon Direct Connect
    -fan-flipping-tastic support

For the most part, I am picking Equinix because they connect to Akamai and ADC. I'm perfectly willing to listen to other options.

I don't really know how the Equinix IX works, I would love to connect into an IX that would give me a connection to limelight and other CDNs. And get the obvious benefits that an IX provides.
    I have contact info for someone at SwitchNAP. They have an overall great facility better than Equinix (for showing off aswwell) with a lower price tag. And fantastic support from what I hear. Take a look at their site.

If you would like the email just message me.

If you're looking for a personal touch, Switch, in Las Vegas, just ins't the right place. Aside from the point that op is looking for a west coast location with AWS and Akamai, switch is anything but personal. The politics over there are enough to pull your hair out over.

Quote Originally Posted by inerail-chris View Post
    If you're looking for a personal touch, Switch, in Las Vegas, just ins't the right place. Aside from the point that op is looking for a west coast location with AWS and Akamai, switch is anything but personal. The politics over there are enough to pull your hair out over.
    But cmon, didn't you see all that *@(# diamond plate?

I swear the folks over at 151 Front St. must have visited switch in the past year, because suddenly the 151 loading dock, management parking garage, etc. are all covered in diamond plate (where before it was plain, old, functional, concrete). I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it going in, just seemed silly.

Myles, we met at the torix agm. Do you personally know anyone in a likely place for me?

Quote Originally Posted by inerail-chris View Post
    I found them to be very professional. I spoke with their VP and sales. All I could say is they were helpful, even offered us free racking and pickup of our equipment. We had to move all our equipment from the broken state. We were only looking to get a few cabs not much. It was generous of them to do so in my opinion.

We eventually went to Phoenix. Where is that coming from? PM me if you like to tell me your experience.

To have any meaningful impact from anycast on a single continent you need to be hooked up to Tier 1 networks only and they should be the same networks in all locations.