Angry UKFast.co.uk - They don't care about their customer or if an IP addy is blacklisted.

I think this might be a first for me. It's the first negative report about one of my suppliers that I have ever made in 11 years of being a member of these forums.

I am a customer of UKFast.co.uk, and after several days of dealing with them to try and get a blacklisted IP address delisted from SpamHaus... here I am to tell everyone what a totally useless company UKFast is, who cares very little (if at all?) about this customer.

So basically, we have a server with UKFast which is used only for cpanel DNS-only hosting. There are no websites and no emails sent from this server. It's just basic cpanel dns-only for one of our nameservers. (The server is one of our distributed DNS servers.)

For some reason, our IP address became blacklisted. We don't know how (since neither spamhaus nor UKFast.co.uk will tell us), but since there is no email or website hosting on this IP address... it is a little odd. The IP address is used *only* as a nameserver.

When we noticed the IP was blacklisted, we submitted a helpdesk request to UKFast, who (to their credit) replied within a few minutes saying they are aware the whole block of IPs in the same range of ours was blacklisted and they are working with spamhaus to delist.

So it's possible our IP address isn't even blacklisted explicitly.. but just part of a blacklisted range of IPs. We still can't get a straight answer about this from either UKFast nor spamhaus.

Great. UKFast is working on it. Well after a few days and more and more customers complaining about their emails not working due to the nameserver IP being blacklisted, we contacted UKFast again to find out what is the status of their delist. It shouldn't be that complicated, right?

Their response is that they are "unable to provide further information". After a few back-and-forth comments to try and get more details or clarification, they won't even tell me if they actually have or have not contacted SpamHaus to try and deal with the blacklisting.

So, I have little choice but to conclude UKFast has no idea what they're doing, they don't care about our business, and they could not care less that the IP address they provide is blacklisted through no fault of our own (as far as I can see).

Again to their credit, they offered to change the IP or refund our money. Neither of these "solutions" is a realistic fix for the problem, since we have hundreds of resellers who are using this IP address for their private nameservers (they are aliases and are all pointing to the same DNS servers we manage). Trying to walk several hundred resellers through re-registration of their private nameserver is the last thing we want to do.

It's really a shame, since I thought UKFast was a trusted and reliable partner for nameserver/DNS hosting... but apparently they don't care much for some of their customers.

I'm very disappointed, because it's not like I'm asking for a key to their CEO's bathroom. I'm just asking for details on what they are doing to get our IP delisted. Yet, they can't even tell me if they have or have not contacted SpamHaus.

It's ridiculous, and I highly advice anyone considering to use this company for any reason to stay away. (Unless you don't actually need an IP address from them.)

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Thats holy crap, how they can't find a way to delist from SpamHaus.

If whole IP block is blacklisted then they must be careful as so many frustrated clients (like you) will be moving away and also they will earn bad name.
    Looking around for some time
    PM me for Website Design and Web Development Work.

If you're not relaying email through that then how are customers affected?
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    If you're not relaying email through that then how are customers affected?
    That's what I don't understand. The IP address is used *only* for a cpanel "DNS Only" server. It is a nameserver server, which has no website hosting and no email hosting. We are not relaying mail or anything else with that IP address.

The IP is used *only* for "ns1.ourdomain.com", which is one of the nameservers for thousands of websites.

It's definitely strange.

(And this is why I am so upset with UKFast, who refuse to even provide basic information or help to get the IP delisted.)

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I don't see what your problem is unless you're sending email from your server. DNS resolution isn't affected by a listing, especially if it's part of a cluster as you implied. Some part of this story is missing.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I don't see what your problem is unless you're sending email from your server. DNS resolution isn't affected by a listing.
    Tell that to the dozen or so customers who are having their mails blocked (mostly by iContact) because of their "domain" being blacklisted.

In fact, none of the IPs on their web/email hosting server are blacklisted. It is *only* the IP for one of their nameservers that is blacklisted (which is the IP provided by UKFast.co.uk).

I agree that it is silly to block mail based on a nameserver IP being blacklisted... yet that seems to be exactly what is happening. iContact is doing the block, which is one problem, but the root/source of the problem is why the IP is blacklisted in the first place, and why UKFast won't lift a finger to help get it delisted or explain what effort they are doing at all to rectify the problem.
    Last edited by mrzippy; 10-24-2013 at 03:30 AM.

<snip>

Other than you own experience, do you have any reference to iContact checking the IPs of your DNS servers to make blacklisting decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    <snip>

Other than you own experience, do you have any reference to iContact checking the IPs of your DNS servers to make blacklisting decisions?
    Here is the error given by iContact when their customers (who are also our web hosting customers) try to send a mailing:

Contains an URL's NS IP listed in the SBL blocklist [URIs: customerdomain.com]
    This problem has occurred now for over a dozen of our customers who are using iContact for their mailing needs. All of them have given the same error, and all of them have told us iContact refuses to whitelist the IP.

As I mentioned, it is ridiculous that iContact would block their customers because a nameserver IP of a domain is blacklisted, but that is exactly what they are doing.

(We've tried contacting iContact about this, but have received no response.)

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Here is the error given by iContact when their customers (who are also our web hosting customers) try to send a mailing:

This problem has occurred now for over a dozen of our customers who are using iContact for their mailing needs. All of them have given the same error, and all of them have told us iContact refuses to whitelist the IP.

As I mentioned, it is ridiculous that iContact would block their customers because a nameserver IP of a domain is blacklisted, but that is exactly what they are doing.

(We've tried contacting iContact about this, but have received no response.)
    That is odd, but I guess the error message speaks for itself. Wouldnt it be easier now just to purchase a Linode and migrate the slave NS across, if nothing else on the server it should be pretty seamless. miss the part of resellers....

Here is iContact's blacklist policy:

http://www.icontact.com/define/blacklist/

Specifically, this part:

Blacklists are also contain blocks of IP addresses used by suspected sources and are known as guilt by association lists. This means that if a suspected SPAMMER owns an IP address that is close to another legitimate users address, they too will suffer an IP block. The legitimate sender will then begin to receive bounce-back emails from the destination domains and many times contain the reason for the denial of delivery. If this happens the user can then contact either the blacklist service directly and follow a series of requirements or procedures to be removed from the list.
    I think this is what is occurring. Our UKFast-provided IP address is blacklisted by spamhaus because it is in the same range as some other IPs that were actually sending spam.

The only way to get our IP delisted is for the IP address owner, UKFast.co.uk, to contact spamhaus and request a delisting.

Yet, UKFast seems completely unwilling to do anything to rectify this problem. They won't even tell me if they have already submitted a delist request or any detail about what they are doing to remove our IP from the blacklist. That's why I am so upset.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a resolution, we first reported the issue to them on October 7th when there were 18 Spamhaus listings for IP's they own, just checked today and all the old listings are there plus 4 more:

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/ukfast.net

Rather than wait for them to figure out how to respond to Spamhaus we've moved clients out of UKFast and into another DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dant27 View Post
    Rather than wait for them to figure out how to respond to Spamhaus we've moved clients out of UKFast and into another DC.
    Unfortunately, moving elsewhere is not an easy option for us as we have hundreds of resellers who have registered their private nameservers using the blacklisted IP address.

(ie: It will easily take a month or more to coordinate and manage switching all our resellers to a different nameserver IP address.)

Looks like there is only one listing their now (albeit for a /24) so I guess they got their act together and cleared up the spam issues.
    UK Dedicated Servers since 2003
    www.ukservers.com - 0800 610 1 620

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Unfortunately, moving elsewhere is not an easy option for us as we have hundreds of resellers who have registered their private nameservers using the blacklisted IP address.

(ie: It will easily take a month or more to coordinate and manage switching all our resellers to a different nameserver IP address.)
    The question is, is it easier than explaining to your customers why their email isn't working and that you have absolutely no idea when/if it will work again? You've got to weigh that up combined with the damage to your reputation, especially if you're dealing with resellers - as they'll be getting grief from their own customers, which will be added to the negativity they feel towards you.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.